[NA]Rock Drill use[NA]

When I was a kid, I drilled a few thousand holes using an electric hammer drill. My dad drilled many times more than I did.

I had them bind up many times. I used a pair of vise grips and a hammer to unbind the bit. I never was injured doing it.

I was drilling through concrete. The bit would bind up on rebar. I would move over 2 inches and drill again. You will not have that problem.

not understanding the recent local stories of busted arms and hands, then.
Need safety tips (besides personal protective equipment) - how to handle it.

I'm glad you did your project without any issues. It looks like I was the only person with knowledge about pneumatic drills that commented in your thread.

I didn't think you would have much difficulty operating the drill, and as I indicated earlier it was faster than any other method.

But dragging 500' of hose must have taken a bit of effort. ;)

Jeez... Rock comes out of a volcano, it's igneus, those rocks and stuff merge with other stuff, they become sedimentary, they get buried for millions years and baked to a pulp, they become metamporphic,meaning they get baked into something new.. This isn't radical stuff. That being said, I'ts also not about flying, so lets go back there.....

Yup, so "obvious" it's wrong.

Igneous rock means it solidified from a melt. Pegmatite, granite and diorite are all examples of plutonic igneous rocks that solidified underground. They have much larger crystallization than above-ground solidification products such as basalt. They are no less igneous.

Metamorphic rocks are transformed as solid by temperature, pressure, or chemical processes. This does not include any of the plutonic family.

Yup, so "obvious" it's wrong.

Igneous rock means it solidified from a melt. Pegmatite, granite and diorite are all examples of plutonic igneous rocks that solidified underground. They have much larger crystallization than above-ground solidification products such as basalt. They are no less igneous.

Above ground volcanic rock is basalt, right? It cools quickly. Is the difference in larger crystal formation a product of the heat and pressure underground?

Above ground volcanic rock is basalt, right? It cools quickly. Is the difference in larger crystal formation a product of the heat and pressure underground?
No. It's thermal insulation. It takes a pluton much, much longer to cool.

Back