*NA* Roadster recommendations

I second this. My 2006 Mini Cooper S convertible 6 speed is like a go cart to drive, which I love. It's a high RPM, not much low end low torque package, although it's got a super charger so it's little better (IMO) than the turbo. You wouldn't want to drive it over expansion joints all the time. Jar your teeth out! But get one with a warranty!

Really it depends on what you find fun. Corvettes and some of the MBs will really pin you in the seat with torque and go like stink. They handle well and have very good performance, but are not what I'd call nimble in feel. (The go-cart thing again.) S-2000 and even Miata's are fund but I have too long a torso to fit in one with the top up. Both of those are high RPM not much low end torque as well.

What makes a car fun to drive to you?

John

Third that. 2013 Cooper S. Maintenance issues seem to be getting better as BMW improves things.

There are other functions than MEP/ICP and RPM for stress. There is also combustion events per second, more of those and the piston has less time to transfer heat to the piston skirt. That is why high RPM can cause more stress than low RPM, even if the pressure itself is lower.
High RPM causes higher mechanical stress and higher thermal load on the engine, %age of redline isn't a value anyone cares about.
The low operating RPM of plane engines isn't because they cannot turn faster, its because the combustion profile is optimized for slow burning and low rpm operation. This has to do with camshaft profile, cylinder head- and combustion chamber design, and the RPM is set low because we don't want a gearbox, and the prop diameter sets limitations on how fast it can turn before going trans/supersonic.

Only downside to the Mini is FWD. I'd rather have a z4. Wayyy more fun

Me too. I only drove the "new" Mini when it first came out. I was somewhat disappointed. I have many fond memories of driving the original Mini with that go-cart in the street fun. The new Mini was pretty much a Honda Civic in Mini clothing as far as I could tell. I'm sure they have made refinements over the years. Seriously though, the Mini should have been the size of the Fiat 500. That would have made it more fun. These days there isn't anything mini about the Mini.

^^^ I wouldn't go so far as to call the Mini a Honda Civic - it really is a lot of fun to drive. Especially for the price (A Z4 is twice as much money). But yeah, FWD just isn't capable of providing the kind of driving shenanigans that RWD is. :)

^^^ I wouldn't go so far as to call the Mini a Honda Civic - it really is a lot of fun to drive. Especially for the price (A Z4 is twice as much money). But yeah, FWD just isn't capable of providing the kind of driving shenanigans that RWD is. :)

That depends on your use of reverse...:rofl:

Not if it's used.... The E85s arent expensive

Mini Countryman and Paceman are AWD. Maybe the Cooper will be soon.

Yes, typo on my part it is a 3000GT.

As for your trashing of the car, I have a slightly different perspective. The valve guide issues were a issue with the 3.0 single overhead cam engine. I have not had any issues from the transmissions (made by Getrag) other then owners not servicing them. I don't know where you got your facts from but I was a factory trained Mitsubishi tech that worked in Cypress Ca prepping cars for the magazines and taking in problem children from all over Ca in attempts to repair them correctly so they weren't labeled lemons. We didn't get many 3000's as they were pretty rock solid. Eclipse's were our issue. I still own a 3000GT as I really like them for their simplicity. If I want a POS then I drive my DeLorean.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was trashing the VR-4, I just had a half dozen examples from friends/relatives who all had transmission and valve guide issues. They were generally slower than other of the same period, and few decent examples still remain today as compared to the Z's and Vette's. As I mentioned, they were good-looking cars and performed well, they just wouldn't be my choice for a roadster. Most of the stuff from the 90's was just so overweight, it's not even worth bothering with.

Back