[NA]Retracting credit card info from websites[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I notice a few websites will not allow you to retract credit card info once they have it on file.
(I have decided I would like to prevent them from storing my info because UPS added an inadequately explained charge months later, which I perceive as unfair.)

When I go to these sites, I cannot erase the card info and save it. The info pops back no matter what I do. If you alter the date or code or card number slightly, it tests the info and will not let you save an invalid card. There is no Remove Card option.
Ideas other than disabling the card?

Call them, but yeah, canceling the card and getting a new one is probably the easiest approach.

This is where the "one time" codes that some credit card providers can give you are worthwhile. Otherwise, yeah, it'll probably take a call.

I use a reloadable gift card at Microcenter these days to save the argument over "we have to have your name and address".... They don't need it for their data mining.

One trick I've used if any of your cards support disposable numbers(one of mine you can login and get a 30 day number for one vendor, and cancel it any time) but you forgot to use it when you signed up. Is to switch the website to a disposable number, let them verify it, then go back to the card site and disable it.

Yup. Cancel the card. I had to do that with Sirius when they put my card 'on file for automatic renewal'. You can't sign up with out auto renewal so I just got the bill, and canceled the card and had it re-issued from another bank.

Yup. Cancel the card. I had to do that with Sirius when they put my card 'on file for automatic renewal'. You can't sign up with out auto renewal so I just got the bill, and canceled the card and had it re-issued from another bank.
no need to change banks, the same bank will give you a new card with a different number for free. It's in their best interests to help you avoid fraudulent charges.

I notice a few websites will not allow you to retract credit card info once they have it on file.
(I have decided I would like to prevent them from storing my info because UPS added an inadequately explained charge months later, which I perceive as unfair.)

When I go to these sites, I cannot erase the card info and save it. The info pops back no matter what I do. If you alter the date or code or card number slightly, it tests the info and will not let you save an invalid card. There is no Remove Card option.
Ideas other than disabling the card?

You should call your credit card company when this happens (the UPS charge). You need to be very specific in your language and tell them it is an unauthorized charge, you did not authorize it, and you want it removed. If you equivocate at all then they may not help you, but if you specifically tell them you did not authorize the charge they should take it off.

Also as others have said, just call the card company and tell them you want your card number changed, I've done this many times when I think my number has been compromised, they have no problem doing this.

Speaking as a merchant with a merchant cc setup, I don't think there's anything in my agreement with the cc companies that require me to delete the card info upon customer request. I have to safeguard it and not use it fraudulently, but I don't think I'm required to delete it upon a customer's request. That said, we generally don't keep the info and we certainly would delete it if a customer asked.

So yeah, get a new card.

Here is one of the benefits of PayPal.

You should call your credit card company when this happens (the UPS charge). You need to be very specific in your language and tell them it is an unauthorized charge, you did not authorize it, and you want it removed.

Good point; this was a bait and switch on pricing (but I will ask to have the unauthorized charge removed). When you purchase a label on their website you are told the price and agree to it. With them altering the price later it seems like they are breaching the contract (however...thinking about it, I bet they have fine print somewhere obviating this).

Good point; this was a bait and switch on pricing (but I will ask to have the unauthorized charge removed). When you purchase a label on their website you are told the price and agree to it. With them altering the price later it seems like they are breaching the contract (however...thinking about it, I bet they have fine print somewhere obviating this).

Fine print shouldn't matter, it should be obvious when you buy, if it's buried you should be off the hook, just don't waver with the cc company.

Check with your CC company but Citi and BankAmerica (AOPA) offer virtual numbers. Citi gives you software on your computer and BAC does it online, but sign in, enter an amount and expiration month, and you get a CC number, security code, and your requested expiration.

You can also go to these virtual card sites to check the balance or cancel the virtual number. Ends up on your regular CC statement but you haven't left the real number as exposed to hackers.

My problem with a recent UPS order was not showing the charge until after the CC number is entered but you can usually go back to the virtual site and increase the charge or expiration date.

no need to change banks, the same bank will give you a new card with a different number for free. It's in their best interests to help you avoid fraudulent charges.

I said nothing about needing to change the bank, I said I changed issuing banks. It's one more security measure so that the account can never be charged with the old, or new number. I can get a new card from a dozen different issuers, and that's what I do. As a bonus, there's usually some free bennies for getting a new card. The one I just changed to gives me 1000 miles on SWA if I spend $5000 in the next 120 days. Easy for me to spend that, and I get a few free trips.

Closing CC accounts dings your FICO score, or so I was told.....

Back