NA replace computer or just HD?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
This workstation lasted 2 months then the hdd quit.
PCMall not helpful.
Wondering which way to go,

-stick with the computer, just replace the hdd? I need Windows10, I'd like all workstations to have the same appearance.

-get another similar workstation (treat them as disposable)

-get a different brand workstation, obviously these are crapola.

-maybe a different reseller?

http://www.pcm.com/p/10042316

Drive still under warranty?

Yeah check the warranty. I'd just go with the hd though. They are so cheap now.

hdd with win10 on it?
how much, where?
HP & PCM both decline warranty

hdd with win10 on it?
how much, where?
HP & PCM both decline warranty
I thought they were tying windows to hardware these days, you may be able to download and install it and have it recognize the license tied to the system

I just replaced a HDD on my old Core Duo 1.6G. I had maxed out the RAM and put a fancy graphics card on it, and would be danged if I was just gonna throw that away. The motherboard was fine. So, I just plugged in a new HDD. The downside was that I had to buy Windows 10. I ended up buying a year of Office365 and, Acrobat ProDC. Now, my old desktop runs like new. And, I have a lot more functionality, besides running my FSX. Its a PITA to move the sim controls over when I have work to do. I'm still working on a fix for that.

One thing I hate about Windows 10 is that these "Apps" are a crappy little, barely functional versions of what I really want. A dvd player for $2.99 in the apps store is crap. I think I must have to buy a full scale software program in order to get the functionality I used to get with the Windows Media Player that came for free with previous versions.

One thing I hate about Windows 10 is that these "Apps" are a crappy little, barely functional versions of what I really want. A dvd player for $2.99 in the apps store is crap. I think I must have to buy a full scale software program in order to get the functionality I used to get with the Windows Media Player that came for free with previous versions.

VLC is free and always has been... That'll handle DVDs on nearly any platform.

Adding a bunch of add ons, it'll also play a few BluRay discs... But in general BluRay no...

Technically WMP is still available in Win10, but Microsoft crippled it. Search "media player" and it's still there. It does have some new audio codecs for some oddball audio types and it can be set to be the default player for various things.

MSFT got out of the playback pizzzing match, I suspect, because the industry makes too many changes to playback schemes and DRM, and because most DVD and BluRay packages now come from their respective manufacturers with a website and a code in the box to allow streaming through the disc maker's website(s).

MSFT also dropped their media center thingy in the middle of Win8. Guess they decided Plex and others were eating that market and they got out.

Is there such a thing as buying a blank hdd then buying win10 OS to install?

Also is it unusual to buy a computer such as this one, w/o a recovery disk? None came with it, I see no
option to 'start over'.

Is there such a thing as buying a blank hdd then buying win10 OS to install?
Yes, though it might be more cost effective to just buy another workstation and keep the old one for parts. On the other hand, the retail os install will be free of any shovelware, which may make it worth it.

Just by a HDD (recommend solid state). Then download windows 10 put the license number from your current machine in when prompted.

So simple a 12 year old could do it however if you are over 35 all bets are off. :)

Always good advice here, thanks guys.
Need to send POA a check for all the help I have received here.

here is the disk needing replacement. It's 3.5", right?

So I'll look for:
Hitachi
7200rpm
SATA 3.0gbps
2TB
right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 5
here is the disk needing replacement. It's 3.5", right?

So I'll look for:
Hitachi
7200rpm
SATA 3.0gbps
2TB
right?

Doesn't need to be a Hitachi, but under real world use the 2TB HGST drives are running the longest of any drives at Backblaze in their awesome disk failure statistics data.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

As you go up in size, other brands fare a little better in larger sizes.

Another route to go would be to stick a sold state drive in there (SSD). Most are 2.5" but brackets can be bought that they'll sit in to make them the standard 3.5" drive size.

I highly recommend Samsung EVO SSDs for personal use but their prices have been climbing. The latest model SanDisk SSDs have also been faring well in reviews and are a bit cheaper.

They're more expensive than "spinny disks" as we are all calling the older tech at work now, but the performance gains are real.

If your 2TB drive was full, there's not many options for 2TB that aren't outrageously expensive in SSD tech yet, and 1TB runs a little over $300.

The spinny disk in 7200 RPM SATA will run less than $100.

As far as the OS goes, if the computer was bought from a major manufacturer they probably included a recovery disk or USB stick -- or they have one available to purchase for a modest cost, just fall and ask them how you get recovery media for the machine -- which will reinstall it right back to like it was day one, including the operating system and drivers specific for the machine and whatever junkware they add on.

Many people prefer to just download or acquire plain vanilla Windows OS media and then just typing in the license key which should be stuck on the machine somewhere. A "cleaner" installation. But then you have to go to the manufacturers website and get the various drivers for things like video cards, and any special hardware like extra buttons and lights on a laptop, etc. Not usually hard to do but time consuming.

SSDs rock. I won't buy a computer without one now.

Back