[NA]rental car pick[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Ford Mondeo or
VW Polo
(2wks in Scotland, 2 people with bags.............4 days with 4 people)

Hmm interesting choice. The Mondeo is what we had in the US as the Contour, while the Polo is smaller than a Golf. Same Price for both? I think the Mondeo would be bigger than the VW.

Hmm interesting choice. The Mondeo is what we had in the US as the Contour, while the Polo is smaller than a Golf. Same Price for both? I think the Mondeo would be bigger than the VW.
But Europe bigger is not good! It is hard to find parking and the smaller the car the better. Also lane width in Europe is not the 1.5-2.0x car width that we enjoy in the US. It is 1.2x car width, so a big car fills the lane. Driving that contour like car is like driving a bus over here. Always, ALWAYS take the smaller car in Europe. Gas prices alone will make you happy you did.

Think parking, think of considerably higher fuel prices. The TDI Polo gets in the 60+mpg range.

Depends.

Ford in Europe != Ford in US. In that they make quality cars over there.

The Mondeo is in direct competition with the BMW 3. It's actually a very good car. With 4 people, I'd take that.

-Felix

The ford is one lb sterling more and claims to hold a whole lot more without being dimensionally bigger. (figure that)

If only two, I'd say Polo. But if you are going to have 4 people and bags for part of that, get the bigger car.

ps. I just read that only 4 days of two weeks with 4 people.. how far do you intend to go in those two days? Will you be hauling the bags or are you already planted and just doing day trips?

Go bigger if you can. When I was there in April, we had a car from Chevy which was basically a Saturn VUE. Larger than most cars, diesel, but generally easy to drive. Enough room for two people and their baggage to and from the airport. The previous year we had a rental (Mitsubishi, maybe) which was almost too small for our luggage but quite typical of the cars there.
Making two trips back and forth to the airport would not be cool.

Back