[NA] PWC riders. I can't get a new one

david.h

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david.h
I've ordered a new Waverunner in August 2021. I have one confirmed, but no shipping date and no ski as of yet. Anyone else here trying to get a new water toy and experiencing these covid shipping delays? I just am looking for anyone's experience in the last 24 months trying to get a new pwc.

I used to race watercraft and this kind of market scarcity was never a thing 10 years ago. Has it been happening before covid? Or is this a new thing with the covid disruptions?

Thx.

I bought a new Yamaha four years ago. I started looking in February and had the deal done at the beginning of March, and took delivery in April. It's nothing like what you're experiencing.

Every one of the boat/PWC manufacturers has almost year-long wait times. I'm in a Cobalt FB group and many that ordered in Spring '22 won't see the boat until Winter if they're lucky, and this is on 22'-28' runabout boats not large cruisers or custom builds. The market is scarce for raw materials everywhere, doesn't matter what industry it is. The raw materials (chemicals/fiberglass/electronics) usually get purchased from overseas in China/Taiwan and other low-cost countries which still haven't recovered to pre-Covid production levels.

Although I do question your choice to go Yamaha when the JetSki is a much better option. ;)

Small datapoint: Good friend of mine put in an order for a Yamaha VX HO last year at this time at a dealer in SW Virginia. Dealer called last week of June saying an 22' FX HO had just come in if he wanted it. He took it. He said their whiteboard showing people waiting was significantly shorter than when his name went on last year. Price was MSRP + shipping.

It is a thing for water toys. Plenty of folks with orders placed fall of 2021 for my particular boat manufacturer were promised delivery in the spring of this year. Most are still watching their hulls sitting around waiting for motors or radios or etc.

I paid a fair asking price in April for a 2020 model with low hours and extended motor warranty and have been having fun all summer.

Thems the breaks, I was lucky, not good.

Adding to the supply chain disruptions, that are affecting everything these days it seems, around here people were buying up boats, campers, and other toys like crazy in 2020 and 2021. My guess is that extra "stimulus" money plus needing ways to get out of the house and social distance drove the buying spree.

They've been hiring (or trying to hire) like crazy at the Yamaha assembly plant near here for the past couple of years. I don't know anyone that works there to know if they are behind on assembly or behind on materials.

Lack of raw materials = fewer “personal water craft” annoying the living &@#$ out of everyone within 5 miles of their use. Thanks, CoVid!

Lack of raw materials = fewer “personal water craft” annoying the living &@#$ out of everyone within 5 miles of their use. Thanks, CoVid!

kinda just like "personal air craft" to a lot of folks I imagine.

Try to buy a car. Local Toyota dealers don't even have demos on the lot to let you test drive. They roll off the transporter right to the delivery row.

They've been hiring (or trying to hire) like crazy at the Yamaha assembly plant near here for the past couple of years. I don't know anyone that works there to know if they are behind on assembly or behind on materials.
Possibly a bit of both if it's the same as it is in my industry. Still a good bit of turnover in the hourly shop labor areas as employees constantly jump from one job to another for more pay/different hours. Materials shortages occur with several items, so production volume is squeezed down to meet what can be reliably obtained. Every supplier still claims "force majeure" for shipping delays and price increases so that they aren't held accountable for missing contractual agreements.

Update- yesterday was one year since I ordered the ski. I called my dealer, and I have a shipping date of Aug 15. Fingers crossed, I might have it before Labor day.

I ordered a sea doo last year. It's at the dealer now, just waiting for a few critical parts... .

My ski is at the dealership, pick up on Friday. Headed straight to the lake for the weekend. Woohoo!

Got mine yesterday. It is sweet!!!

Sea doo gtx 300

Last edited:
Lol, why ride a wannabe when you can ride the best?

Seriously though, the thing flies and rides so much smoother than my older one.

Lol. I like 'em all. Well, the Yamahas and their rooster tails can take a hike, but SeaDoo/JetSki are both solid rides. I haven't ridden any of the 300HP+ skis, so I don't have an honest reference point. FIL has a SeaDoo RXT 270 that gets up and flies pretty well. I have a '98 JetSki 1100STX (2-stroke) that isn't the fastest thing ever, but was pretty nice for it's time and still fires up every time.

Lol. I like 'em all. Well, the Yamahas and their rooster tails can take a hike, but SeaDoo/JetSki are both solid rides. I haven't ridden any of the 300HP+ skis, so I don't have an honest reference point. FIL has a SeaDoo RXT 270 that gets up and flies pretty well. I have a '98 JetSki 1100STX (2-stroke) that isn't the fastest thing ever, but was pretty nice for it's time and still fires up every time.
300HP or 300cc?

looked it up. holy crap talk about overkill.

Lol, yup it's horsepower. Most of these are running ~1500-1800cc supercharged engines. They're mostly speed-limited to about 80mph, but there are some ways around that. The acceleration is ungodly though. Very much a "hold on as tight as you can" if you floor it from a standstill. God help you if you catch an edge at any significant speed. I let a friend (novice rider) drive my JetSki while I was riding on the back and he tossed us off at 50mph+. Never had a headache so bad in my life after skipping across the water like a stone. Then had to swim for 10 minutes just to catch back up to the JetSki which never flipped and coasted to a stop, lol.

Yeah, I was just joking about one better than the other. They are all great, and they fly, you need to make sure you are holding on.

I finally got my ski, Yamaha FX Svho. Only took 54 weeks. Going to the lake today!

Back