[NA]Printer networking[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Hey, my new Lexmark 7170 arrived.
It works great. The networking thing involving a print server and such was a bit burdensome so I just got the type that plugs in with a USB cable.
So now when J wants to print stuff we just have to move the cable from mine, into her laptop.

I noticed when installing it asks if I want to 'share the printer with networked computers'. Well, our computers do talk via the wireless router... .I can share files and such between computers so they are networked already (I think that's what that means).

So I set the printer 'to be shared' on both and mine is plugged into the printer.
I think she should be able to access the printer through mine; what do you think? (The first time I tried to print with hers, networked through mine was not successful) Maybe there is a switch to throw? Or am I dreaming about this possibility

If I undestand this correctly you have the printer driver for this printer installed on both of your computers and you have it shared out on both of your computers. If this is correct then when you have the printer physically connected to one computer and then try to print from the other computer, the other computer is looking for the printer as if it were directly attached which it is not.

Leave your printer attached to one computer, share it out on that computer. Then, on the other computer, click start/settings/add printer. Choose network printer and navigate to the computer that has the printer and pick that printer to install. Depending on your OS you may have to set permissions allowing the other user/users to access this printer.

Of course the computer that has the printer attached will have to be turned on whenever you want to print from the other because it will be the print server.

Hope this helps,

Jeannie

Last edited:
Jean is correct. when you add a new printer to the laptop, search network drives. the shared printer will be in there. When you share a printer, windows copies the files needed and distributes them to the new puter looking to use the printer. Its fairly simple to do.

OK the problem was that they were not networked. The network connection we had somehow got lost. So after a bunch of tracking down the problem I figured out the problem and renetworked them.
After that, all I had to do was install the Lexmark software on both and voila or presto or whatever the word is, J can print without being wired to the printer (when mine is up).
Thanks.

Back