[NA] Playboy lifestyle

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I’m vacationing near water (Great Lakes), lots of >$1M sailboats & cruisers, some with jetskis - from my time at the docks, most are apparently single guys. Looks like fun, I’m happy for them. I’d try it, given the opportunity.

But I gotta wonder about the downsides.
You’d have to like playing around mostly on your own. Enjoy your own company. Otherwise it looks like it could be really boring after the first month.
Sure you could sail port to port, have your challenges with navigation & battles with weather. Stop & fish, bbq, drink, buzz around on the jetski, enjoy the company of the occasional Harbor-Ho.
But it looks insanely unsatisfying!

Let’s say you seek social contact, so you tie up at a favorite place for a few weeks and gather a small crowd of favored boaters etc for nightly parties. But after a while you get tired of that & want to move on…except now you have gunwale groupies that are clinging to your generosity & won’t let go - so you are evicting people.

Anybody experience this and have input?

Maybe they just increased the size of their personal bubble back to what it was pre-COVID.

You’d have to like playing around mostly on your own. Enjoy your own company. Otherwise it looks like it could be really boring after the first month.
Sure you could sail port to port, have your challenges with navigation & battles with weather. Stop & fish, bbq, drink, buzz around on the jetski, enjoy the company of the occasional Harbor-Ho.
And that's different from flying small planes how? :D

Let’s say you seek social contact, so you tie up at a favorite place for a few weeks and gather a small crowd of favored boaters etc for nightly parties. But after a while you get tired of that & want to move on…except now you have gunwale groupies that are clinging to your generosity & won’t let go - so you are evicting people.

I was living the playboy life...great parties, fantastic social life, plenty of girls, outdoor activities, lots of food and alcohol, party all night and sleep all day.!!!

Then the owner evicted me....

I've lived a generally sheltered life, but maybe not as much as some. The solution is simple, if you are in Whoville and become tired of the Who's, you simply state, in your best possible voice "I sorrows me greatly that I am out of cash, now I will not for much longer have this place or my stash. My drink will soon be gone soon, too, and I have no funds to buy more for me or for you. But I'm sure my new friends, you will stay by my side, as Whoville is loyal and for that I can depend."

They'll be gone before you've complimented yourself on your rhyming skills. If you're lucky, with taking or breaking too much stuff.

Oh, and never take rentals to owned property. Bad plan all the way around. Actually, by the time you own property, you should be smart enough to avoid rentals.

But I gotta wonder about the downsides.
I'm not rich, so I can't speak to the "playboy lifestyle", but I can speak to being single, as I have been so all my life. It's by my choice, and it's because that's what makes me happy. Not everyone in this world wants or needs to live with a partner, or to have a family. YMMV.

I have some ideas for long-duration solo travel that I hope to put into play within the next couple of years. I anticipate it to be extremely satisfying!

"I sorrows me greatly that I am out of cash, now I will not for much longer have this place or my stash. My drink will soon be gone soon, too, and I have no funds to buy more for me or for you. But I'm sure my new friends, you will stay by my side, as Whoville is loyal and for that I can depend."

They'll be gone before you've complimented yourself on your rhyming skills.

Lots of Million dollar sailboats? I find this difficult to believe. Seems like a big commitment to move south for 6 months and then back.

Are people storing million dollar boats in presumably heated storage in Midwest? Won’t the wood warp etc if unheated

Lots of Million dollar sailboats? I find this difficult to believe. Seems like a big commitment to move south for 6 months and then back.

Are people storing million dollar boats in presumably heated storage in Midwest? Won’t the wood warp etc if unheated
I too found it hard to believe when I saw it on our tour of the Great Lakes. There are marinas there with what looks like thousands of huge, beautiful yachts. I kept wondering what those people do with those yachts 9 months of the year.

... I kept wondering what those people do with those yachts 9 months of the year.

spend those 9 months telling everyone about their million dollar yacht?

When I was here in April, they were all out of the water, along the waters edge.
A crane moves about the lake in fall and spring lifting them out, putting them back in.
The people are mobile. There is a huge snowbird population, as well.

Here are some prices. I saw many that were this caliber or better:

When you can afford large yachts you can afford fall decommissioning and hauling for inside heated storage or shrink wrapped outside storage.

Q - How can you distinguish among an owned sailboat, a heavily mortgaged sailboat, a leased sailboat, and a rented sailboat?

A - You can’t.

Don’t put too much stock in how things appear. The apparently filthy rich are often deeply in debt with negative net worth, and the janitor you see sweeping the floor may have millions in a 401k.

…Oh, and never take rentals to owned property. Bad plan all the way around. Actually, by the time you own property, you should be smart enough to avoid rentals.
This. And since the three F’s are cheaper to rent than own, the best strategy is to use rentals with rentals.

I used to live on a 36' sailboat, sailed it around the Chesapeake Bay. I delivered boats to tropical islands, and up and down the east coast, for boaters with much more money. Took about two weeks to go from Virginia to St Maarten, never see land during that time.

The Great Lakes are a great place to buy lightly used, freshwater cruising boats. You just have to have it trucked to the coast or drop the mast and come down the Mississippi.

People do the The Great Loop. A lap around the eastern portion of the US. Up the east coast, through the canal system to the lakes, down the river to the Gulf, around or thru Florida to close out the loop.

I used to live on a 36' sailboat, sailed it around the Chesapeake Bay. I delivered boats to tropical islands, and up and down the east coast, for boaters with much more money. Took about two weeks to go from Virginia to St Maarten, never see land during that time.

The Great Lakes are a great place to buy lightly used, freshwater cruising boats. You just have to have it trucked to the coast or drop the mast and come down the Mississippi.

People do the The Great Loop. A lap around the eastern portion of the US. Up the east coast, through the canal system to the lakes, down the river to the Gulf, around or thru Florida to close out the loop.
One of my bucket list items is to do the Great Loop, preferably with my father. We'd be doing it in a 34'-40' cabin cruiser rather than a sailboat, but it would be a blast nontheless. We'd put in at the Port of Catoosa (Tulsa) and go on down the Verdigris River just like all of the barges and meet up with the Mississippi River in Arkansas, then down to the gulf. Seems like it would be a fantastic adventure.

I think this phenomenon has been thoroughly explained by the interviews with the Guy Who Just Bought A Boat on Saturday Night Live

When I was here in April, they were all out of the water, along the waters edge.
A crane moves about the lake in fall and spring lifting them out, putting them back in.
The people are mobile. There is a huge snowbird population, as well.

Here are some prices. I saw many that were this caliber or better:
Those prices are something else. Should have kept the 42’ benateau in the family

Wood? Are you stuck in time? Boats are mostly made of fiberglass. :)

Million for a sailboat, all in, is not that difficult to do.

One of my bucket list items is to do the Great Loop, preferably with my father. We'd be doing it in a 34'-40' cabin cruiser rather than a sailboat, but it would be a blast nontheless. We'd put in at the Port of Catoosa (Tulsa) and go on down the Verdigris River just like all of the barges and meet up with the Mississippi River in Arkansas, then down to the gulf. Seems like it would be a fantastic adventure.
Check out the estimated cost for fuel to make the trip. :)

I think a million dollar sailboat would look good on my lakefront property....

(note the contrail to keep it aviation related)

(also note not my property, awaiting response to offer submitted)

1690907869025.png

I think a million dollar sailboat would look good on my lakefront property....

(note the contrail to keep it aviation related)

(also note not my property, awaiting response to offer submitted)

View attachment 119529
Whats raw land in your part of the desert? I see you’ll have some rocks which ups the value.
$3K/ac out of town, $10K plus near town

Yep, it'll be Yuge. Yuge, I tell ya!

Even in a small sailboat, that can get 6-7 mpg, that's nearly 1000 gallons in fuel. On more inefficient boats, it can be your largest expense. Takes deep pockets to do the loop fast.

Wood? Are you stuck in time? Boats are mostly made of fiberglass.

ikr? I had a wooden airplane in the desert for 20 years and was constantly worried about it; I would be apoplectic to have a wooden boat in the water!

Cabinets are wood, doors are wood, beds are wood

Trim too

I didn’t mean hull or deck

You guys are funny

Lol yeah it's no small amount of dough for sure. It's definitely something that you'd want to know your most efficient cruising speeds lol. Getting there fast would certainly make the wallet hurt. It can be a bit more difficult in some sections of "the Loop" to find gasoline as well (mostly on the Lower Mississippi), so having a diesel powerplant helps out in both efficiency and in fuel availability.

Last edited:
Whats raw land in your part of the desert? I see you’ll have some rocks which ups the value.
$3K/ac out of town, $10K plus near town

Depends on who is selling. Asking price for land real close to town can be from 15k to 100k an acre. The higher priced land is mostly grandkids trying to get independently wealthy and depends on if there is a working water well or city water. Also it seems the closer to the reservation than the smaller the land will be and the more it will cost. Mostly the high price plots are not selling.

Yeah, this land definitely has an abundance of rocks, big rocks, some as big as my house. Also it has an abundance of sand, cactus, cedar, lizards and scorpions. It is not suitable for farming or ranching. Maybe building a house and a runway. Any investors here looking for a cheap place to build a private hangar.?? :lol: :lol:

I'm fortunate enough to have a weekend getaway on an island in the great lakes. I see probably a dozen million dollar + boats each weekend (though mostly powerboats). Some go south, some go into storage for the winter.

Yep, it'll be Yuge. Yuge, I tell ya!

Even in a small sailboat, that can get 6-7 mpg, that's nearly 1000 gallons in fuel. On more inefficient boats, it can be your largest expense. Takes deep pockets to do the loop fast.

Hmm, my 28 footer would burn about 5 gallons PER SEASON. And that included some 10 hour transits under power. 6 HP single cylinder diesel. Under power right about 6 knots.

I thought that sail boats were propelled by, you know, their sails, filling with wind. What's the point of a sailboat if you power it from a combustion engine?

I thought that sail boats were propelled by, you know, their sails, filling with wind. What's the point of a sailboat if you power it from a combustion engine?

Well, I was talking about the great loop. Not many sailing opportunities while on it. It's mostly narrow, navigable channels, canals and rivers. You have to lower your mast prior to a bridge in Chicago that is 19ish feet high. Most people carry it on deck all the way down the Mississippi, step it again before the Gulf.

You can sail some of the NC sounds for brief periods, the Chesapeake, a little bit of the Atlantic up near NY, the great lakes, the hop thru the Gulf of Mexico, around Florida.

And it has lots of locks, and the big chute marine railway.

Screenshot_20230802_085638_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, I saw 4 planes coming & going recently at the airport, 2 were twins. What they had in common was each had only the pilot onboard. I guess the significant others were home keeping the house in order?

Maybe time to bring back the single-seaters?

Back