[NA]Personal locator beacons[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have started hiking solo in some very remote places & very rugged terrain.
I am looking for a very basic & lightweight, inexpensive PLB with an SOS function only.
Used is fine. (is there a fee to transfer it to my name with the reporting company/agency?)
Do they all require a subscription?

If you get lost, just take a picture, tag the location, and post it to social media.

Bam. Problem solved. Booyah. Sac fo tha win.

My understanding is PLB's are not a subscription service, they are pretty much use it if you need it. They only send and SOS and your position. usually can be purchases for about $250 from sporting goods store. Battery usually good for 5 years but might be $150 to replace the battery.

The ones that require subscription are tracking devices such and Inreach or Spot Messenger. What you are paying for is the Active tracking and Messaging service.
Usually the more you pay the more tracking and messaging feature you will get.

definitions.
Tracking - the device actively sends your location and periodic intervals, usually to a website that others can access and see where you are and where you have been. How often it sends your location depends on the service you pay for. Some services may also send altitude information

Messaging - Can vary from a couple preset messages like, I'M OK, Send Help, SOS, to additional pre-programed messages, to send only texting like, Battery Dead Bring Jumper Cables. to a full fledged two way messaging service.

I think of PLB's as emergency devices, they are a lump of lead to carry around and don't do anything for you, until you have an emergency, then they turn into a Brick of Gold, assuming it works.

Tracking/Devices - Cost more but you get more and you are more likely to be carrying it on your belt, rather than having to dig it out of the bottom of your backpack when you need it. And since you use it regularly you have a better feeling that it will work when you need it.

Two way Texting can be invaluable when an accident occurs. Being able to say Attacked by Bear, Bleeding badly, vs just and SOS signal. Or could send something like Broke Leg, but will be ok till morning. Also you can be told Life Flight is on the way as opposed to wondering if they got the message.

Highly recommend viewing:
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/august/02/rps-no-go-around
13 minute mark talks about the Inreach he had and used.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

If you get lost, just take a picture, tag the location, and post it to social media.
Bam. Problem solved. Booyah. Sac fo tha win.
funnee, but when I say remote I mean 2hrs from cell service let alone emergency services

Being able to say Attacked by Bear, Bleeding badly, vs just and SOS signal. Or could send something like Broke

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

awesome info, thanks Brian
actually did see bears on two of these trips in last 2 mo, lol

Yes, a standard PLB (I have an ACR ResQLink) is registered with NOAA for no fee and is updated every 2 years. Battery every 5 years and I think it was $100. It's the same tech as a 406 MHz ELT. Extend antenna, press button, wait for helicopter.

You can also get the fancy model that floats without an external flotation device.

Yes, a standard PLB (I have an ACR ResQLink) is registered with NOAA for no fee and is updated every 2 years. Battery every 5 years and I think it was $100. It's the same tech as a 406 MHz ELT. Extend antenna, press button, wait for helicopter.

You can also get the fancy model that floats without an external flotation device.

Hmm... bill for helicopter... potential deal killer I think.

Hmm... bill for helicopter... potential deal killer I think.
Eh, death, helicopter bill.

Most places government SAR won't charge you if it's a legitimate emergency. Some places may bill, you may also be able to get 3rd party insurance.

Eh, death, helicopter bill.

Most places government SAR won't charge you if it's a legitimate emergency. Some places may bill, you may also be able to get 3rd party insurance.

Yeah, that is right, but, still a potentially scary prospect. The Other Guy in my airplane partnership had the misfortune of having to be airlifted off a Northern California beach after attempting an abalone dive in a remote area, where, at his age, he should not be doing alone. He's okay, and his insurance did cover it, but, if he didn't have that insurance, he'd probably die of exposure out of being homeless in paying for the bill. It was in the six figures. High six figures.

Yeah, that is right, but, still a potentially scary prospect. The Other Guy in my airplane partnership had the misfortune of having to be airlifted off a Northern California beach after attempting an abalone dive in a remote area, where, at his age, he should not be doing alone. He's okay, and his insurance did cover it, but, if he didn't have that insurance, he'd probably die of exposure out of being homeless in paying for the bill. It was in the six figures. High six figures.

True, that's not really 'SAR', that's just an air ambulance. The guys picking you off the side of the mountain or out of the ocean on a hoist are usually government like Coast Guard and you won't be charged. If you happen to be injured someplace just far from a hospital they're going to land a air ambulance helicopter and yea you'll see a large bill. The air ambulance guys in my coastal city says we're their busiest station due to all our tourists.

https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/

I’ve been a member for years. Considering all of the motorcycle riding and airplane flying I do, this is a no brainer. Look at the coverage map and see if they cover the choppers in your area.
Thanks Bill, I'm paid up til Jul2021 but my understanding was they transport from local hospital to big hospital. Ie not a SAR function with stokes swinging from long lines, lol.

I've got the sinkable ACR ResQLink.

I use an InReach MINI tracking device. Little tiny thing, fits in a pocket easily. 2"W x 2.5"H x 1"deep + a short stub antenna.
Battery lasts amost forever.
Garmin subscription service. Cost is a function of the frequency with which you want the satellite ping for tracking - mine is usually set for 10 minute intervals.
I wanted both the tracking (Mrs. GRG55 can alleviate her anxiety when I am flying by checking my progress if she wishes) and the messaging capability in non-cell service areas. I don't even have cell service at my residence in the Rocky foothills. Pairs with my iPhone so I can use the phone screen keypad to compose messages if necessary.

Back