[NA] Packages through customs

skier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Skier
This may be a long shot, but does anyone have tips for helping packages get through customs? I’ve ordered small things like books internationally but nothing too expensive so I’ve always just waited the 1-3 weeks for it to clear without much thought. I’ve heard for big items a customs broker can be helpful, but don’t know anything about that process.

I ordered a custom musical instrument ($1500) from a luthier in Europe and when it’s complete I’d like to make sure it sails through customs as quickly/easily as possible. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Unless you are importing $$$ worth of commercial merchandise, customs is a yawn. $10k is a trigger point where they start to take interest.

Luthier. New word to me. Working on how I’ll be able to integrate that into a conversation.

fwiw - I don't get a lot of items shipped directly from another country. The only time I had a problem was an item shipped from Canada (just under $8000 package) - there was paperwork snafu - cause/fix was with the supplier/shipper interaction... nothing I could have done about it. And most of the supplier's market is in the US, so he was surprised by the snafu. Paying the custom fee was annoying but not a big delay.

The business should know the process, but the company might be very small and may not ship outside their country very often.
Makes sure a copy of the receipt is attached. They should also include an export control classification number (ECCN)- the shipping company probably will insist on it. This number determines any tariff (as a percent of the item value) that you will generally have to pay. The receipt lists the item value.

I wouldn’t worry too much about customs. Almost everything I’ve ordered from Europe in the last few years has arrived before the things I’ve ordered from the US show up.

I prefer to choose a shipper who can handle customs for me.

Thanks all. Sounds like I don’t really have anything to worry about.

The business should know the process, but the company might be very small and may not ship outside their country very often.
Makes sure a copy of the receipt is attached. They should also include an export control classification number (ECCN)- the shipping company probably will insist on it. This number determines any tariff (as a percent of the item value) that you will generally have to pay. The receipt lists the item value.

It’s a very small business and while I know he has shipped to the US, I don’t know how frequently. He only makes a few instruments per year so probably not that frequently.

09458561-8E40-4B72-8959-65A06E8C9D9E.jpeg

I just got a package worth $1000, no issues through customs.

It was shipped by post office. I have gotten other packages via FedEx and DHL, again no big deal. Maybe an extra day or two in transit.

We use UPS's international service to ship outbound.. Rock solid service the dozen or so times we have used them.

It might work inbound as well ...I'd give it a good look.

Back