[NA] Ouch.

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
A friend of mine was involved in a bad bus crash a week ago - Bus taking a high school marching band home from state championships hit an overturned semi at night. (Underside of the truck was facing traffic and that's by far the least visible part of a truck.)

He has a LOT of broken bones - ankle, sternum, femur, three ribs, three vertebrae - but luckily no spinal cord damage. Ow.

Luckily, my friend (the assistant band director) will be OK eventually. The band director, his wife, their 11-yo granddaughter, a student teacher, and the bus driver were killed.

What I don't understand is that one of the web pages I saw about it said that the bus driver "did the right thing" by not hitting the brakes and instead "locking the gears." I've driven these beasts and I don't know why on earth you wouldn't hit the brakes. They were on dry pavement. Attempting to use the engine/gears to slow down is not only less effective as you only get braking action on half the tires (The four tires of the drive axle - The steer axle and the tag axle would just roll), it also takes longer to start (clutch, rev, clutch, yank gearshift) and you risk not being able to get it back into gear at all. Plus, the bus looks fairly new and should have anti-lock brakes anyway. Any ideas?

NTSB is apparently investigating, but I can't find any info about this sort of thing on their web site like you can find for aviation accidents. Am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks,

flyingcheesehead said:
A friend of mine was involved in a bad bus crash a week ago - Bus taking a high school marching band home from state championships hit an overturned semi at night. (Underside of the truck was facing traffic and that's by far the least visible part of a truck.)

He has a LOT of broken bones - ankle, sternum, femur, three ribs, three vertebrae - but luckily no spinal cord damage. Ow.

Luckily, my friend (the assistant band director) will be OK eventually. The band director, his wife, their 11-yo granddaughter, a student teacher, and the bus driver were killed.

What I don't understand is that one of the web pages I saw about it said that the bus driver "did the right thing" by not hitting the brakes and instead "locking the gears." I've driven these beasts and I don't know why on earth you wouldn't hit the brakes. They were on dry pavement. Attempting to use the engine/gears to slow down is not only less effective as you only get braking action on half the tires (The four tires of the drive axle - The steer axle and the tag axle would just roll), it also takes longer to start (clutch, rev, clutch, yank gearshift) and you risk not being able to get it back into gear at all. Plus, the bus looks fairly new and should have anti-lock brakes anyway. Any ideas?

NTSB is apparently investigating, but I can't find any info about this sort of thing on their web site like you can find for aviation accidents. Am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks,

Sorry to hear that...

Try here: http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/publictn.htm

First of all, you have our prayers and best wishes from our family to yours and the others that were affected by this tragedy.

Secondly, as a former driver/safety trainer for a school transport company, the driver did the right thing...except for hitting the brakes after locking the gears. Some trainers even teach a simultaneous process of jamming the gears while standing on the brake. We always added the extra step of standing on the brake pedal after the transmission locks up. That puts stopping power onto the freewheeling axles to assist in rapid stopping.

Many of the newer school and charter busses are automatic transmission busses. Some even have button control shifting. In a case such as that, locking the gears is as easy as grabbing the trans lever or pressing the [R] button and forcing the transmission it into reverse to jam the tranny and lock everything up. If the bus involved wasn't an automatic, yes, the brakes should have been the response with the right foot while the left foot and right hand were working the clutch/gear process to jam the transmission.

With a bus of that style, is there any danger, if you lock the brakes first, of the bus fishtailing?

Greebo said:
With a bus of that style, is there any danger, if you lock the brakes first, of the bus fishtailing?

Some, but from what I can tell of the situation, decreasing the impact speed is paramount. Considering the driver had probably only a few seconds to read the situation and react, fishtailing is probably 5th or 6th on the list of things to consider when trying to stop the bus or lower the impact speed if collision is unavoidable.

TDKendall said:
Some, but from what I can tell of the situation, decreasing the impact speed is paramount. Considering the driver had probably only a few seconds to read the situation and react, fishtailing is probably 5th or 6th on the list of things to consider when trying to stop the bus or lower the impact speed if collision is unavoidable.

Kent, I'm glad your friend survived albeit with bones broken. The crash was all over the TV and newspapers here last week when it happened. At first they made it sound like half the kids on the bus were killed, so it was considered "good" news when they announced that "only" the driver, director and his family were killed.

TDK, what exactly is meant by "locking up" the transmission? And why does this assist braking in an emergency? I assume that all wheels on a bus have brakes, it this true? If so, unless the brakes are incapable of (nearly) locking the wheels I'd think the best thing for the transmission would be to disengage it (neutral) so it wasn't providing any forward push. You can assume I know almost nothing about diesel busses.

I also wonder why there was so little time to react. Some of the reports say that there was no braking at all by the bus, and it hit the trailer without slowing down. Granted that there aren't many reflective surfaces on the underside of a trailer (maybe there should be?) I'd still think you'd be able to see an overturned semi from at least a couple hundred feet at night. How fast you react might be a different story, but I'd think that maximum braking would be nearly instinctive and even 50-100 ft of braking should have slowed the bus considerably.

TDK, what exactly is meant by "locking up" the transmission? And why does this assist braking in an emergency? I assume that all wheels on a bus have brakes, it this true? If so, unless the brakes are incapable of (nearly) locking the wheels I'd think the best thing for the transmission would be to disengage it (neutral) so it wasn't providing any forward push. You can assume I know almost nothing about diesel busses.
You know how when you throttle to idle, the prop will still windmill at a higher RPM? Same principle...

In a car, if you're going down a steep grade, you're supposed to downshift (foot off the gas), not ride the brakes. Why? Because you're throwing the transmission into a gear ratio where the spin of the wheels is trying to force the engine to spin faster, but the engine resists this due to inertia and the gear ratio involved and thus slows the car down using its own inertia. The engine only wants to idle based on the available fuel, but the engine will speed up anyway as the downward motion of the car is translated thru the tranny to engine RPMs.

I can only assume this is a similar concept - also called Engine Braking - although in the diesel bus world there may be subtle differences.

lancefisher said:

Basically in this situation, in a last ditch, "OH sh**!! Nothing else I can do!" effort, you're breaking the transmission by throwing it in reverse (reverses drive thrust). Sometimes this will even cause the tranny to drop to the road with pieces falling off behind it. It does, however, cause a very sudden slowing of the vehicle. This slowing is actually faster than applying the brakes and locking up the wheels. Locked wheels slide, but until the tranny drops or strips, forward motion is dropped to virtually nill in a 100' or so. It's similar to downshifting but causes the vehicle to slow much faster. Engine compression also assists in slowing the oversized vehicle. A jake brake on a truck uses engine compression. Also, a skidding bus can travel over 200' before impact speeds are slow enough to not cause major injury or death.

If there were no skid marks, this means there wasn't enough light to see the overturned truck and the driver was "over driving" his headlights. Everyone does it. Driving at 60mph on the freeway with lights on dim is over-driving the headlights. At 60 mph with headlights on dim, once anything is in the dome of light from the headlights, it's going to get hit 8 of 10 times unless it's small enough to straddle with the wheels and/or the driver has very good reflexes.

TDKendall said:
Secondly, as a former driver/safety trainer for a school transport company, the driver did the right thing...except for hitting the brakes after locking the gears. Some trainers even teach a simultaneous process of jamming the gears while standing on the brake. We always added the extra step of standing on the brake pedal after the transmission locks up. That puts stopping power onto the freewheeling axles to assist in rapid stopping.

It just seems to me that hitting the brakes is a better reaction in that you'll get stopping power to ALL the wheels and it can be done very quickly. Locking the tranny would only be my first reaction if the brakes had failed. After the brakes are on, THEN maybe it could be used for extra stopping power.

Many of the newer school and charter busses are automatic transmission busses. Some even have button control shifting. In a case such as that, locking the gears is as easy as grabbing the trans lever or pressing the [R] button and forcing the transmission it into reverse to jam the tranny and lock everything up. If the bus involved wasn't an automatic, yes, the brakes should have been the response with the right foot while the left foot and right hand were working the clutch/gear process to jam the transmission.

Here's why I don't think locking the gears on a coach would work very well. The manual ones use heavy trannies like trucks have (albeit usually geared differently and with fewer gears) and those are extremely difficult to force into any gear without getting the engine speed reasonably close to the transmission speed. IE, if you're going 45 on an 8-speed bus, you'd probably be driving in 7th gear with low RPM's or 6th with high RPM's. If you put the clutch in and revved the engine you could probably get it in 5th fairly easily, maybe in 4th, probably not in 3rd, definitely not in 2nd, 1st, or reverse.

The ones with shifter-knob automatics will do their best, and quite possibly succeed. I've seen a tranny dropped onto the road with one of these.

The ones with push-button automatics - I don't think it's possible. The push-button autos are too "smart" (kinda like if Airbus made trannies!) and generally will refuse to do anything but beep at you if you try to put them in reverse while you're in motion at all.

BTW, he didn't hit the brakes AT ALL. Bus #2 behind him never saw brake lights. Bus #2 did slam on their brakes and stopped only 25 feet from the wreck.

Greebo said:

As long as the brakes are properly adjusted and you keep going straight, the risk of fishtailing is extremely low. I'd be very surprised if a bus as new as this one didn't have self-adjusting brakes.

In fact, when slamming on the brakes in a turn on dry pavement in a bus like this, it'd be a toss-up whether you'd fishtail first or roll over first. :hairraise:

TDKendall said:
This slowing is actually faster than applying the brakes and locking up the wheels.

I hear this, and I'm certainly no CDL, but I'm with Lance on this one. Left foot on the clutch, right foot and brain working threashold braking to milk every last bit out of the stop, unless it has ABS. Then, just plant that wingtip firmly on that brake pedal. Physics is physics, 8 contact patches are going to slow the vehicle much faster than 4.

Then again, who knows how well the brake system is setup and engineered on large vehicles like busses. On a properly setup car, you want the front wheels to lock slightly ahead of the rears, and then you threashold brake going on the feel of the fronts. On the bus, will the fronts lock first?

Probably depends on load, do modern busses have any proportioning system to regulate the rear braking power based on passenger/cargo load? Older pickups used to be horrible at locking the rears when lightly loaded. Luckily, proportioning valves and ABS have tamed most of those problems.

Dang, I'm babbling...:dunno:

Oh, and Kent, I'll say a prayer for your friend.

Greebo said:
I can only assume this is a similar concept - also called Engine Braking - although in the diesel bus world there may be subtle differences.

Well, on most buses, the difference is that you have a BIG vehicle. It won't slow down too well.

Many trucks, and some buses, are equipped with "Jake brakes." The official name is the Jacobs Engine Brake, and is also known as a compression brake.

The way a jake brake works is by adjusting the valve timing. When you let up on the accelerator all the way, it kicks in. Basically, you are getting air into the cylinders on the intake stroke and compressing it at the top of the compression stroke, which converts kinetic energy (vehicle momentum) into potential energy (compressed air in the cylinders). What the jake brake does is pop the exhaust valves open at the top of the compression stroke, releasing that potential energy. This is what makes the loud roaring noise you sometimes hear when trucks slow down, and why you often see "No jake brakes" or "No compression braking" signs when you drive into a small town.

However, I have only ever driven one bus that had a jake brake and heard a couple of others. The only other way to have much effect is to destroy the tranny like Tom described. I still think the brake pedal is the best option, unless the brakes have failed.

Re: [NA] Ouch - The human side

Here's a story about the band director, Doug Greenhalgh. Brian Collicott is mentioned a couple of times, that is my friend. Bryan Jaeckel is quoted a couple of times, he is another friend of mine.

Leader-Telegram said:
Whether he was hungry or not, Todd Bowe dreaded lunch hour each school day.

As a first-year Chippewa Falls Senior High School student in 1991-92, Bowe struggled to find his place in his new surroundings. He didn’t feel he fit in with any particular group of classmates, a fact accentuated during lunch when students sought friends to eat with.

A percussionist in the school band, Bowe decided one day to take his lunch to the band room. It was the last time he would feel alone.

He ate his meal that day with band director Douglas Greenhalgh, who had an open-door policy for students seeking a lunchtime spot. The seemingly simple event proved to be a turning point in his life, Bowe recalled.

“He had a way of making you feel good about yourself, that you had value as a person,” Bowe said of Greenhalgh. “All of a sudden I felt like I belonged. I had a group to be with.”

Greenhalgh’s effect on so many lives became clearer last week, Bowe said, as he and others mourned the loss of the marching band director affectionately known as “G.”

A charter bus carrying marching band students, staff and chaperones to Chippewa Falls from a competition in Whitewater slammed into an overturned semitrailer truck early Oct. 16, killing five and injuring 30. The accident occurred five miles west of Osseo.

Those killed in the accident were Greenhalgh, 48; his wife Therese, 51; their 11-year-old granddaughter, Morgan; Branden Atherton, 24, a UW-Eau Claire music major who worked with the band; and 78-year-old bus driver Paul Rasmus.

“(Greenhalgh) profoundly touched my life.” Bowe said. “I am the person I am today in part because of him and that program.”

The outpouring of grief and support provides evidence of Greenhalgh’s reputation as a respected and much-loved educator, said Eric Runestad, executive director of the Wisconsin School Music Association.

“Students of many years ago are just rocked by this,” Runestad said.

Music teachers can have a special effect on students because young musicians may be involved in the program for several years and often form close relationships with their directors and band mates, Runestad said.

“The director becomes not just a teacher, but a role model and a mentor,” he said. “That makes the poignancy of this kind of loss even more acute.”

Building a band

The Chi-Hi marching band, 176 members strong, is known among its counterparts in Wisconsin as one of the best — and biggest — in the state.

The band is admired for its sportsmanship, dedication and enthusiasm, said Bryan Jaeckel. He worked on the Chi-Hi band staff and student taught at the school while at UW-Eau Claire before becoming a co-director of the River Falls High School band with Chi-Hi graduate Joe Coughlin.

But that wasn’t always the case. Twenty-two years ago the school didn’t have a competition marching band.

School officials and others in the community decided to form one, and they hired Greenhalgh to mold it into a high-caliber performance group.

Greenhalgh lived and breathed music. He choreographed all of the band’s performances and wrote many of the songs they performed. Those who worked with him said he challenged them musically.

He ran an arduous program. The Marching Cardinals began practices in June and stepped them up in August, highlighted by a four-day session under the hot sun known to participants as “death camp.”

Greenhalgh’s demanding approach didn’t turn students away. Instead, they flocked to the band, drawn by his infectious love of music and students. Band members worked hard but had fun doing it.

In essence, Greenhalgh and fellow band teacher Brian Collicott made it cool to be in the band, said Teresa McDowell, president of the Chippewa Falls Music Association, a booster group for Chi-Hi’s music department.

Any high school student who wanted to play in the band was welcome, regardless of grade or musical experience. Nobody was cut.

Yet the band performed admirably in marching competitions against schools with less inclusive policies. At last weekend’s Wisconsin School Music Association State Marching Band Championships, for instance, the school placed third in the large-school division behind two audition-only bands from Waukesha that accept just students in grades 10 through 12, McDowell said.

The Chi-Hi program’s open-door approach seemed to improve its quality rather than diminish it, said Ryan Wilson, a band alumnus and UW-Eau Claire music major who has worked with the band since his high school graduation five years ago.

“The band is like one big, strong family,” he said.

Besides his commitment to the band, Greenhalgh’s caring for students was evident in another way, Jon Tulman said. He and Collicott sought students in need of extra attention, said Tulman, father of Jenna, who played trombone in the band before graduating in 2003, and Alyssa, a freshman trumpet player.

“Sometimes parents can’t reach their kids, but these guys were willing to do that,” Tulman said.

Inspiring allegiance

Wilson, 23, was injured in the crash when he was hurled from the vehicle when it struck the semi. As the percussionist recovered from his injuries at his parents’ rural Chippewa Falls home last week, he recounted how his time in the band changed his future.

“I had planned to work with computers for a career,” he said. “Then I decided to be in this band, and it opened up a whole new way of thinking for me. Suddenly I knew that I wanted to work in music.”

Wilson is one of many Chi-Hi band alumni who have gone on to careers in music or music education because of Greenhalgh’s influence, said Jaeckel, indicating he tries to emulate the former director’s concern for the lives of students outside of the band room.

Wilson was so smitten by his band experience that he returns to his alma mater each fall — no matter how busy he is — to work with band members perfecting their routines.

“It’s just something I need to do,” he said. “I don’t want to be without this.”

Wilson isn’t alone in his fervor for the band. Since his graduation 11 years ago, Bowe has worked each fall to help train the band. The two are part of a group of about 15 people — mostly band alumni and a few UW-Eau Claire music majors — who work closely with the Marching Cardinals, often for a couple of hours per day.

“The reason I come back is for Doug Greenhalgh and the experience I had here,” Bowe said.

Filling big shoes

The same sense of comfort Bowe found in the band program more than a decade ago still exists.

Alyssa Tulman, 14, said the band program helped her make the transition from middle school to high school when she was seeking a sense of belonging.

“(Greenhalgh) and Brian (Collicott) talk to you like you are on their level. They don’t talk down to us because we’re students,” she said. “(Greenhalgh) created a place where people accept you for who you are. That helps a lot of us.”

That has inspired a fierce loyalty toward the band among parents and students, said Alyssa’s mother, Kathy Tulman, in turn boosting the band’s membership.

“When someone cares about your kid the way ‘G’ did, it’s hard not to like him,” she said. “This band has so much support because of the way he was.”

Without its leaders, some people worry about the band’s future. Greenhalgh, whose strong persona loomed over the band, is dead. Collicott remains hospitalized in Rochester, Minn., with serious injuries suffered in the crash.

Chippewa Falls school superintendent Mike Schoch acknowledged the band’s uncertain future at a press conference earlier this week when he announced the band probably wouldn’t accompany the playoff-bound football team to games and that the district would begin a search for a band director.

“(Greenhalgh) meant so much to this program. It will be impossible to fill his shoes, but we will do the best we can,” Schoch said.

But three days later, at Greenhalgh’s funeral service, a jazz band played, a fitting tribute to the man sometimes referred to as “the music man.”

As he listened to the music, Bowe, a pallbearer at the funeral, reflected on his time with the band. He thought of the song the band sings at the end of every performance, “Forever Cardinal Bound,” which focuses on the band’s unity. And he remembered another life lesson Greenhalgh taught: determination.

“The one thing I think ‘G’ would have wanted us to do was to forge ahead,” Bowe said. “He had a lot of resolve. When he decided to do something, he did it, and I think we’re going to take the same attitude with the future of this band.”

Already, signs of that resolve are emerging.

Band alumni were so moved by news of Greenhalgh’s death that they are establishing an endowment to support the Chi-Hi music program.

While the climate for finding qualified band teachers is fairly strong, the challenge for Chi-Hi will be to replace the exceptional qualities Greenhalgh brought to the job for 22 years, Runestad said.

Once a band gains a strong reputation, the resulting enthusiasm tends to feed on itself, he said, resulting in a program with high standards and the kind of community support that attracts new generations of musicians.

“History would say that a dynamic person who is gifted and talented and passionate about what they do can have an enormous impact on a music program,” Runestad said.

Jaeckel is optimistic Collicott will return fully recovered, and Chi-Hi’s band tradition will march ahead.

“I think the community sees that program as being very important to them and the administration knows that,” an emotionally drained Jaeckel said between attending Thursday’s funeral in Chippewa Falls for the Greenhalghs and Friday’s services in Waukesha for Atherton, a college fraternity buddy.

Despite uncertainty about the band’s future after last weekend’s tragedy, parents involved with the Chippewa Falls Music Association are confident the program will continue to prosper, McDowell said. Band parent Jeff Steltz suggested that the program’s legacy will move forward.

“The key to its future success is that a part of ‘G’ will be carried by every member of the Chippewa Falls High School Marching Cardinals and its staff and family in their hearts,” he said.

Very sad. :(

Re: [NA] Ouch - The human side

flyingcheesehead said:
Here's a story about the band director, Doug Greenhalgh. Brian Collicott is mentioned a couple of times, that is my friend. Bryan Jaeckel is quoted a couple of times, he is another friend of mine.

Very sad. :(

I know this must be quite an ordeal for all the students and especially the band members, but I'm surprised there's so little mention of the parents of the band director's grandaughter. They have lost two parents and a child, all at once. I can't imagine anything much worse.

Re: [NA] Ouch. The accident investigation side.

WIEAU101.jpg

Now, to put on the engineer/driver/curious guy cap and tear this apart.

Factors: Road and weather conditions, drivers, vehicles.

Road and weather: This section of road was recently resurfaced. The accident occured shortly after 2 AM, so it was very dark. This section of road has some gently rolling hills and gentle curves, but nothing too challenging and probably nothing that would have been a factor.

Vehicles: V1 was a Freightliner, either Columbia or Century Class, which would make it 1998 or newer, pulling a refrigerated trailer, probably either 48 or 53 feet in length. It was loaded with produce, and most likely very close to its 80,000 pound gross weight. 13'6" height.

V2 was a 55-passenger coach, looks like an MCI but not the latest variety (Renaissance), probably between 1995-2001 model year. 45 feet long, around 12'6" height, with a gross weight somewhere around 45,000 pounds.

Drivers: D1 (truck driver) was very young (21 or 22), had his CDL for less than a year, and had a history of speeding. Prior to the accident, his license was suspended due to non-payment of a speeding ticket.

D2 (bus driver) was 78 years old and worked for the bus company since 1993, so had his CDL for a minimum of 12 years.

The scenario goes like this: The truck was traveling a mile or two in front of the bus, far enough ahead to not be visible to the bus drivers. Truck went onto shoulder, traveled on the shoulder for several hundred feet, and then pulled back on to the road very suddenly, causing the truck to roll all the way across the westbound lanes with its belly facing traffic.

A minute or two later, the bus impacted the truck approximately at the drive axles of the truck, splitting the truck and trailer apart (which takes a LOT of force) and doing extensive damage to the bus, destroying the front end and breaking all of the windows.

Second bus sees accident just in time, stops 25 feet short. Third and fourth buses stop relatively easily. Drivers and pax from buses 2, 3, and 4 assist pax from bus 1 who aren't seriously injured.

One additional detail that I haven't actually seen reported anywhere: The truck driver was questioned at the scene, but a couple of days later when they wanted to question him again, he ran. They caught him Thursday night.

My personal theory is that the truck driver fell asleep, and woke up when he was getting bounced around on the shoulder, went "oh $#!+" and tried to yank it back onto the road too quickly, rolling it. A minute later, the bus, being driven by an older guy with poor night vision and reflexes who was probably tired but still legal, came upon the scene and not only had the normal reaction time but also a "disbelief delay" before attempting to slow the bus.

lancefisher said:
Kent, I'm glad your friend survived albeit with bones broken. The crash was all over the TV and newspapers here last week when it happened. At first they made it sound like half the kids on the bus were killed, so it was considered "good" news when they announced that "only" the driver, director and his family were killed.

Kind of like how they make every plane crash sound like all aboard were killed when in reality they all walked away... Doom and gloom news.

There are four left in hospitals: Brian Collicott (assistant band director), another band staff member, a band student, and a friend of the Greenhalgh's granddaughter who was along for the trip.

All eight wheels on a coach have air brakes. There are three axles: Steer (two tires), drive (four tires), and tag (two tires). Each axle has a brake chamber on each side. I have never been able to lock the brakes on a bus on dry pavement, only empty on wet pavement as mentioned elsewhere.

I also wonder why there was so little time to react. Some of the reports say that there was no braking at all by the bus, and it hit the trailer without slowing down. Granted that there aren't many reflective surfaces on the underside of a trailer (maybe there should be?) I'd still think you'd be able to see an overturned semi from at least a couple hundred feet at night. How fast you react might be a different story, but I'd think that maximum braking would be nearly instinctive and even 50-100 ft of braking should have slowed the bus considerably.

It did slow down before hitting the trailer according to pax on the bus, but according to the buses behind it, there were no brake lights. Presumably he did lock up the transmission to cause the slowdown.

I think they should require reflective tape on the underside of the trailers. It may have prevented this accident altogether.

Back