NA: Opinions on electric exhaust cutouts

bikert

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
bikert
I've got a Ford Raptor I've had modified with a 6.6L stroker, supercharger, upgraded long tube header exhaust, etc. I've got racing cats but otherwise have all the emissions equipment. From an emissions point of view it is legal in most states including the state I live in and that was important for me. The truck itself looks completely stock so it's really a sleeper which I like. I love surprising the heck out of someone at a stoplight, or on the highway. 850HP+ definitely gets the job done. The exhaust note is definitely different from stock of course, as you'd expect, but someone who is doesn't know what the stock truck sounds like probably wouldn't know.

A buddy of mine suggested I get electric exhaust cutouts for those times I want to be more "conspicuous" :lol: and get out of the sleeper mode. So I know there are a lot of car guys here so was wondering what you think about it. How reliable are they? The system I saw demonstrated had a switch that would take you from basically open headers (exhaust bypassed) to the full exhaust being used. Opinions? Should I do it? If I do I'd only use it occasionally, perhaps to wake annoying neighbors who kept me up the previous night late :rofl:

Does the Raptor have after-cat O2 sensors?

No experience with road vehicles. I have them on my boat, made by Corsa. I've had no problems in eight years of operation.

I noticed looking at Quick Time's website they only have a 90 day warranty. For something as simple as a cutout with a fairly robust solenoid I'm surprised they don't have a better warranty.

BTW saw a tricked out Raptor today...nice looking truck.

They're just fine, but I think I'd just add them prior to the mufflers versus all the way up front ahead of the cats. Sure, it won't be AS loud, but it'll still be more than enough to wake the neighbors and it won't mess with the 02 sensors at all. As long as you don't buy the cheapest components and ensure that all of the wiring is heat-shielded and properly secured, they'll work for a long time. You're not going to want to run around town with them open anyhow, because the drone and noise is worse in the cabin of the truck as it would be outside.

Just like with boats with Captain's Call or similar, most people run them open at startup and around the dock to get some heads turned, but close them up once up on plane and cruising. Otherwise no one can talk to each other in the boat and the music gets drowned out. Motorheads are fine with the noise, the women not so much.

How much just to make your truck louder? And add something else to break. Buddies boat had them I called it the Guido Switch. Dumb motor stuff.

Just like those sleeper ford lightnings, right? :D

Fred read my mind. But Lightnings are sleepers to the general public nowadays! When's the last time you saw one burning rubber at a stop light, eh?

Anyway, I've never been a supporter of more noise on cars. Unless it adds a substantial amount of power, all it's there for is calling for attention. But I like Raptors, so I approve. Call away, my friend, call away!

Fred read my mind. But Lightnings are sleepers to the general public nowadays! When's the last time you saw one burning rubber at a stop light, eh?

Anyway, I've never been a supporter of more noise on cars. Unless it adds a substantial amount of power, all it's there for is calling for attention. But I like Raptors, so I approve. Call away, my friend, call away!
Lightnings are a joke

RIF, that's exactly what I said, they were OK for their time period, pretty good performance.

They were a hell of a lot better than "OK." You can't compare them to a modern truck as your principal argument against that. Compare it to a truck of it's day and then tell us what made it just "OK."

They were a hell of a lot better than "OK." You can't compare them to a modern truck as your principal argument against that. Compare it to a truck of it's day and then tell us what made it just "OK."

Fast but fairly crude, not much in towing capacity, GM had the Regal GN turbos in the Cyclone pickups.

My understanding is it does add a small amount of power but nothing significant so you only do it for the noise. If I do it, the plan would be to almost never use it just occasionally when I want to make a "statement". You know, if I need to drown out a pack of Harley riders. Or some ricer with a fart can exhaust is revving next to me maybe hit the switch and show some real noise? :D:D

My understanding is it does add a small amount of power but nothing significant so you only do it for the noise. If I do it, the plan would be to almost never use it just occasionally when I want to make a "statement". You know, if I need to drown out a pack of Harley riders. Or some ricer with a fart can exhaust is revving next to me maybe hit the switch and show some real noise? :D:D
A cutout is just an exhaust leak. The diverter actually blocks off the exhaust after it. They'll make your teeth rattle

Diverters are better. Look up Noweeds

Yes it will be something like that. The shop that will do it had a Mercedes SLS 6.3 with it installed there when I was over. Seemed like a strange car to do it on, but anyway. They demoed it to me and set off every car alarm within 50 feet! Everyone came running out from wherever they were. The sound was ridiculous. Definitely not something for every day use.

Blown 454ss >

454ss is a good competitor but if we added a supercharged to the first gen lightning, like you did with your pick, it wouldn't be much of a challenger at all. For adding an additional 100 ci in the engine, there sure didn't produce much more hp or torque than the lightning.

Fast but fairly crude, not much in towing capacity, GM had the Regal GN turbos in the Cyclone pickups.

Those trucks are so tiny, I'm not sure towing is something you'd want to do in any of them. I like Syclones, I won't argue against your choice there but the two, I'd say, are stacked pretty well against each other, so I don't think that's reason enough to bag on the Lightning.

454ss is a good competitor but if we added a supercharged to the first gen lightning, like you did with your pick, it wouldn't be much of a challenger at all. For adding an additional 100 ci in the engine, there sure didn't produce much more hp or torque than the lightning.

It had a good bit more torque. Thats why they were pretty much even in the 1/4. The lightning was also ~$3k more than the 454ss. This thread is way off topic lol

Cutouts remind me of those ghetto folks adding those whistle tips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2hOlVqqek

You really want to be these people?

I'm all for modding cars and trucks, but when a truck is making 250mph worth of noise and only going 70mph it's just stupid IMHO, also some of the noise mods will effect the value of your truck, people will presume things about how it was maintained and driven based on some stuff, put ground effect under lights on a Vette and I'll probably not bother to even look at it, chances are it was owned by ... Well you see where this goes.

IMHO a raptor is one nice truck, I wouldn't make it ghetto fabulous with exhaust cutouts, whistle tips, flame throughers or neon lights.

I just don't run mufflers lol. Might as well be loud all the time

Oh they're gone. :D The stock exhaust in the raptor is quite limiting. I installed a Kooks long tube header exhaust and, oops, didn't add mufflers.

Cutouts remind me of those ghetto folks adding those whistle tips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2hOlVqqek

You really want to be these people?

I'm all for modding cars and trucks, but when a truck is making 250mph worth of noise and only going 70mph it's just stupid IMHO, also some of the noise mods will effect the value of your truck, people will presume things about how it was maintained and driven based on some stuff, put ground effect under lights on a Vette and I'll probably not bother to even look at it, chances are it was owned by ... Well you see where this goes.

IMHO a raptor is one nice truck, I wouldn't make it ghetto fabulous with exhaust cutouts, whistle tips, flame throughers or neon lights.

That's quite a leap you took from me talking about a sleeper stock looking truck with maybe an internal switch to make it louder occasionally, to you talking about a full on ghetto project :lol::lol:

No, that's not the point. I like having my normal looking truck (as normal as a Raptor can look) with more than double the stock horsepower. I'm only talking about having a switch inside that lets me divert the exhaust pretty much directly from the headers on demand, more as a gag thing that anything else. You can't drive around making that much noise, that's just asking to get pulled over and get a fat fine and maybe worse.

As for resale, I absolutely don't care. I've done a lot worse than adding cutouts :lol: :lol: The engine was bored and stroked, new hardened crank, pistons and connecting rods, new ported heads, Whipple supercharger with water cooled intercooler. Kooks long tube header exhaust, racing cats. And a I think that should give anyone an idea it has been driven hard. But I've no plans to sell it. It's one of my toys.

The 454 SS got terrible fuel mileage even when driven like an old church lady! The 3-speed tranny on the early models was dreadful. A lot of cubic inches and fuel burned in order to go slower than the Lightning by a few tenths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a vacuum actuated system on my C6 corvette similar to the cutouts. It bypassed the mufflers, and made it much louder. I was pushing similar power numbers to your truck, and enjoyed that it was silent (except for the Lopey idle from the cam) but when I wanted it loud it could be. From the factory it was set to open around 3000rpm, but mine was modified to open when I wanted it. I have also seen some 7 series BMW with a vacuum bypass valve on exhaust for similar reasons. If you want to install one go for it. It is cheap by comparison to the rest of the mods you have done.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali and planning on going turbo in spring time.
Here is the set up I have been looking at. Plan on porting heads and bigger cam before the turbo. Luckily my 6.2 is direct injected already, so makes fuel less of an issue. Would love to see the Raptor vs Silverado in both 1/4 mile and towing.

https://goturbo.net/online-store/mu...verado-twin-turbo-kit-500hp.html#.VnliRq9OKrU

I had a vacuum actuated system on my C6 corvette similar to the cutouts. It bypassed the mufflers, and made it much louder. I was pushing similar power numbers to your truck, and enjoyed that it was silent (except for the Lopey idle from the cam) but when I wanted it loud it could be. From the factory it was set to open around 3000rpm, but mine was modified to open when I wanted it. I have also seen some 7 series BMW with a vacuum bypass valve on exhaust for similar reasons. If you want to install one go for it. It is cheap by comparison to the rest of the mods you have done.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali and planning on going turbo in spring time.
Here is the set up I have been looking at. Plan on porting heads and bigger cam before the turbo. Luckily my 6.2 is direct injected already, so makes fuel less of an issue. Would love to see the Raptor vs Silverado in both 1/4 mile and towing.

https://goturbo.net/online-store/mu...verado-twin-turbo-kit-500hp.html#.VnliRq9OKrU

Wow that kit looks great! You'd definitely have to do a lot of beefing up though to support 1500 HP. The Raptor is not a great towing platform because of the soft suspension. It is set up for high speed offroad with 12 inches of travel. I haven't timed my 1/4 mile but I will tell you I've raced it against my McLaren 650S from a dig and it pulls a full length ahead before the McLaren catches up. That's in 4WD mode. Me driving the Raptor, my wife driving the McLaren now before you say anything she drives the 650S on the track and knows how to drive it. :raspberry: The crappy aerodynamics of the Raptor will kill it of course in the 1/4 mile.

I'd say go for it. Nothing more enjoyable than having a large vehicle with ridiculous amounts of power. I have five vehicles the rest are sport cars all 600HP+ and my Raptor is my favorite.

I would detune it a bit to run 800-1000. I drive it almost daily, and don't want to loose that ability.

Wow that kit looks great! You'd definitely have to do a lot of beefing up though to support 1500 HP. The Raptor is not a great towing platform because of the soft suspension. It is set up for high speed offroad with 12 inches of travel. I haven't timed my 1/4 mile but I will tell you I've raced it against my McLaren 650S from a dig and it pulls a full length ahead before the McLaren catches up. That's in 4WD mode. Me driving the Raptor, my wife driving the McLaren now before you say anything she drives the 650S on the track and knows how to drive it. :raspberry: The crappy aerodynamics of the Raptor will kill it of course in the 1/4 mile.

I'd say go for it. Nothing more enjoyable than having a large vehicle with ridiculous amounts of power. I have five vehicles the rest are sport cars all 600HP+ and my Raptor is my favorite.

Update: Installed these. They come with a remote to open and close them as desired. They were installed after the cats and O2 sensors so this is off-road legal. The sound is incredible :D

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 7
Back