<NA> On line calendar

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
Good day fellow POA'ers. I am managing a nationwide account with about 20 people.

I am trying to find a calendar that has the ability to track job assignments by person that can be accessed by each of the 20 employees and internal staff.
The 20 employees do not work for the same company as I, and as such, cannot access our local system. Nor can I access their local system. Neither IS/IT department will allow access to the others system (this is a whole nother discussion over a cold drink in Gastons if need be)

Two questions:
* For those of you in similar situations, what calendar program do you use and what are the pros and cons?
* Other than creating a secure web site, what other method of access do you suggest and/or have used?

Appreciate the input as always.

Last edited:
You could create a generic Google account and use calendar.google.com. Or, better yet, have each person in the "group" create their own calendar at google, and you all "share" your appointments with one another--you'll each see everyone else's assignments, color coded, on your own calendar.

You could create a generic Google account and use calendar.google.com. Or, better yet, have each person in the "group" create their own calendar at google, and you all "share" your appointments with one another--you'll each see everyone else's assignments, color coded, on your own calendar.

Troy, I made an attempt with Google calendar but the date boxes we not large enough to accomodate all users. Is there a way to enlarge the date boxes?
Thanks.

Could this be done with a spreadsheet shared in Google docs? We share documents that way.

Probably Lisa, do tell this computer challenged person more info please.

Just set up an account on Google Docs www.google.com/docs (if you set up a Gmail or Google calendar account, the login will be the same). Create a spreadsheet that you like in Excel and upload it to Google Docs, or create one from scratch in Docs. You may have to tweak it a bit after you upload it depending on formulas and scripts you have in it. We have some pretty basic spreadsheets on there so far, so I don't know for sure how it handles more complicated spreadsheets. When you get it set up, then click on the Collaborate or Publish buttons and follow the steps. It's fairly simple. You can chose to give others access to view only, or edit the document. There's also a discussion section to post messages to each other about the documents.

Here's a sample published document from a standard Excel Template. Published documents are viewable by anyone who has the url. You can chose to have the published document updated every 5 minutes, so changes to the doc are automatically updated:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=poOUQnMEeuy0R0kkJn-IKCQ

Last edited:
Just set up an account on Google Docs www.google.com/docs (if you set up a Gmail or Google calendar account, the login will be the same). Create a spreadsheet that you like in Excel and upload it to Google Docs, or create one from scratch in Docs. You may have to tweak it a bit after you upload it depending on formulas and scripts you have in it. We have some pretty basic spreadsheets on there so far, so I don't know for sure how it handles more complicated spreadsheets. When you get it set up, then click on the Collaborate or Publish buttons and follow the steps. It's fairly simple. You can chose to give others access to view only, or edit the document. There's also a discussion section to post messages to each other about the documents.

Here's a sample published document from a standard Excel Template. Published documents are viewable by anyone who has the url. You can chose to have the published document updated every 5 minutes, so changes to the doc are automatically updated:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=poOUQnMEeuy0R0kkJn-IKCQ

The dang I.S. dept. has this site banned?!?! I have requested they unlock it so I can check it out.
Thanks again.

The dang I.S. dept. has this site banned?!?! I have requested they unlock it so I can check it out.
Thanks again.

:goofy: They must be using Microsoft firewalls...or don't want you making trouble by not using MS Office.

It reminds me of when my buddy in 198n brought in his personal $4500 386 PC to the office to show the bosses how he could multi-task the company applications. His boss, the mainframe guy, called and said if that PC was there after 5:00PM he wouldn't be. Forward thinkers.

Last edited:
Update...I received approval for the Google site and uploaded the Excel calendar. All is good with the world, or at least this part of it.
Appreciate the advice.

For the record, I love Google Calendar simply because I can use Remote Calendar at work to sync up my work calendar with my google calendar, then my Treo grabs the work calendar when it syncs. Works quite well.

Update...I received approval for the Google site and uploaded the Excel calendar. All is good with the world, or at least this part of it.
Appreciate the advice.

Cool. I love Google and all their apps. Glad it's working for you.

Back