[NA]Old stuff[NA] (motorcycles)

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I like old stuff.
I especially like the act of returning decrepit old stuff to working condition!

This is an old bike that the owner could not seem to get back together, (not really sure why it got torn apart and put into cardboard boxes in the first place)....and 2 or 3 bike shops never had enough motivation to help him. I mean, it's a 43 year old thumper (single cylinder) from Britain and the company has not made m-cycles since the 70's.

This one was in sad shape, over the years parts had been lost, many were damaged or corroded, and people had used 5 different thread types on the hardware on this bike. Just the type of challenge I like! The owner said he believed it would never run again, and had forgotten about it. It was at the back of the hangar with a pool of oil beneath it and covered with a half inch of dust.

This is a 1969 BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) B44VS Victor Special. Many were imported into North America around that time and I am sure I saw them when I was a kid. The 441cc engine has great torque.

This is a slightly humorous but accurate description of the bike:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/7...Memorable-Motorcycle--BSA-Victor-Special.aspx

Anyway I have been driving it around this week; here is a short clip of the finished bike. Note this was a reassembly, not a restoration. Someone else can do that.

I hear ya... here was my "old bike" project. It sat outside my aunt's garage from 1967 (as near as we could tell) until I got it in 2004. I had to replace a lot of rotted out sheet metal and ALL the wiring, but it sure was nice to hear that old 155 2-stroke fire up for the first time since I was a little kid.

Attachments

• vespa-old-1.png
    vespa-old-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • vespa-old-top.png
    vespa-old-top.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 11
Right back at ya, Dave. I know how fun it can be to un-do years of people tinkering/abusing stuff, especially stuff for which parts are tough to find!

Great job Dave!

I've never had a BSA, but I've had Triumphs, and Nortons, (well after their reign was popular) which are somewhat similar as you know. The Brits liked the two cylinder, spilt seam case engine, which was operting properly unless it was dripping a little oil. :)

There is just something cool about old British bikes (and cars) from the 50's, and 60's.

Good for you guys. Folks who restore old machines for the next generation are aces in my book.

I'm currently (OK, off and on) working on a 1967 Moto Guzzi Stornello. 125cc. Purchased from the original owner with ~450 miles on it. Made up a new wiring harness, new chain, 6v battery. Having carb issues right now, so its put away until I figure out what the heck I did wrong.... :) It'll crank, but not start.

Picking it up in Colorado. Poor thing has more mileage on it from riding in an Element than it does on its own wheels:
IMG_3062.jpg

f01bc44c.jpg

30d9bf58.jpg

e3ac654b.jpg

758c02b5.jpg

When I get that one running, I have another one that is in really sad shape.

72d02ed4.jpg

What they're supposed to look like (expect this person doesn't have any battery box stickers...I got a whole stack of 'em and they don't have the cage on the headlight...I got's extras of them, too)
be5baa6f.jpg

Last edited:
When my brother was 16, he convinced my Dad that a BSA in pieces would be a nice project. Dad never thought he would ever get it working so brought the thing home in old milk crates. A few months later, and a chilton manual, Bob had it running, fast enough to get into a lot trouble with the neighbors.
He went on to restore an old Rambler and a Tbird. The bird ended life when an electrical short caused a fire that baked the interior.

Back