[NA]Old motorcycle - EEs needed[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am reassembling a 1969 BSA Victor Special, trying to figure out how to connect the voltage regulator. It came with a zener diode as the old style vr, but apparently the electronic vr is a better option so I will leave the zener disconnected.
This has no capacitor, only a battery. There is a rectifier and alternator as depicted. Not sure yet if this one has the 'American Market' Ig Circuit wiring as shown bottom left.

Attached images of the vr and wiring diagram.
Note the bike is a positive earth.
The vr has a black wire and a red wire.
No paperwork.

Free ride on a 40yo thumper for the person who gets it right and doesn't let the smoke out.

349fho0.jpg

330z2id.jpg

So what's the question? The red wire gets grounded. That's correct according to the diagram ("R" on the ground side of the Zener); since it's positive ground, this agrees with how a Zener regulator would work.

I'm no EE, but this doesn't need an EE any more than changing oil in your car requires an ME. And I'll trade you a ride on your BSA for a ride on my '55 Vespa (with a magneto and no regulator at all). :)

So what's the question? The red wire gets grounded. That's correct according to the diagram ("R" on the ground side of the Zener); since it's positive ground, this agrees with how a Zener regulator would work.

I'm no EE, but this doesn't need an EE any more than changing oil in your car requires an ME. And I'll trade you a ride on your BSA for a ride on my '55 Vespa (with a magneto and no regulator at all). :)
I think Dave is asking how to connect the REGULATOR shown in the picture, not the original Zener diode.

Dave, I may be able to answer that but I need more information. Can you read the part # on the metal can (TO-3 case)? It's likely something that starts with "2N" and has 3 or 4 digits after that. This will allow me to determine if it's a PNP or NPN transistor (or something else like a regulator). Once I know the PN it should be possible to determine which wire goes where by checking for continuity between each wire an the metal can.

A regulator for your bike would have to be inserted in the line from the bridge rectifier ( the four arrow&line symbols in the diagram) and the place it used to attach (the top of the Zener) since the field isn't on a separate wire. The wire from the rectifier would go to one of the wires on the regulator and the other regulator wire would go where the rectifier wire was removed from. The metal regulator module would also need to be electrically connected to the positive battery terminal (e.g. by making good electrical contact with the bike frame). The only question is which regulator wire is which. My guess would be that the black regulator wire attaches to the rectifier lead.

The details on the shiny metal can:
?_2N3055 where ? means not sure if there is a number there, it is under corrosion and _ means unreadable figure.
RCA
CNL
3C

would ohming the leads to each other/the case help?

so that's how that high school geek put me to my knees with a couple of 9V batteries

"transforming a low voltage, such as 12 volts, into several kilovolts. The output is very low current, so there is a minimal chance of dangerous electric shock"

Back