[NA] Netiquette Q

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Ref: emailing to several folks at once.

One fam member is p'd that we all email as a group.....but do not Bcc everyone.
This f.m. feels we should never send emails without removing all traces of addresses and other IDs.

Here are my counter arguments

1. it is just a whole lot easier to punch through email to a, b, c, d, without the rigamarole of selecting Bcc for each one.
2. I like to see who the email is sent to! In case someone is left out, in case the topic needs to be discussed with one of the recipients, lots of other reasons.
3. I have had no problems, and can recall hearing of no problems with this. I am sure *someone* has had problems but it is not high on the scale of 'needs worrying about'.
4. If I receive a bcc: email, you are probably not going to get a reply from me. It seems like such an email is impersonal, and you probably don't want a reply from the 100 people you sent it to.
5. We all should have adequate antispam protection to counter any problems it might cause anyway.

Your thoughts?

I don't know about your "group."
But, I prefer that my address be left out of the to/cc recipient list on mass emailings.
  • I may or may not know everyone to whom the message has been sent; and I may or may not wish to have my address shared with them without my express permission.
  • Many computer users do not have adequate protections in place on their systems to prevent address book/contact list harvesting. I do not wish to get caught up in their fiascos.
  • A lot of folks who participate in mass mailings also seem to be aolosers - the sort who will then add my address to their list so that I, too, will be the lucky recipient of the latest urgent warning (i.e., hoax) or funny email (from the mid-90s) making the rounds.

I don't feel alienated by being BCCed - I feel respected.
Sorry if that's an inconvenience to the sender of an email. If it's too much to extend this courtesy, then kindly leave me off the list.

Oh, and don't send me an egreeting where you've shared my address with a third party. I don't want to go their malware-laden site to view the clever "card" and don't wish to receive their spam.

Last edited:
1. it is just a whole lot easier to punch through email to a, b, c, d, without the rigamarole of selecting Bcc for each one.

Your thoughts?

Which email client do you use?
The email clients I'm familar with would only require you to select
bcc once, then hit enter and the next email address would be a bcc.

Me neither. But that's how family is!

Sorry if that's an inconvenience to the sender of an email. If it's too much to extend this courtesy, then kindly leave me off the list.

That is about where this person is going....with their views on security, they are going to be left out of a lot of family discussion because it is just easier to leave their name off rather than take the time to bcc only them. (everyone else seems happy with non-bcc)

Which email client do you use?
The email clients I'm familar with would only require you to select bcc once, then hit enter and the next email address would be a bcc. "

You are right....with my email browser. The issue is not can it be done but is it worth the effort to remember for this one person every time.

In the absence of an identifiable problem, and with everyone else on the list content to be non-bcc (and most preferring it, as it turns out) then some seem to think the request bordering on an "unreasonable concern".

I note several netiquette sites say it is better to use the bcc: option from a security standpoint but no mention of the painful ills if we fail to do so. Anyone?

I see no reason whatsoever to use bcc if everyone on the list knows everyone else.

I guess the concern is the original email might get sent to a distant family member....or a friend....and then to someone we don't know.
But this has surely been going on for decades.....without problem that we are aware of.

Maybe you could suggest the one person get a throwaway for family emails, if he/she is the only one.

But, I prefer that my address be left out of the to/cc recipient list on mass emailings.
  • I may or may not know everyone to whom the message has been sent; and I may or may not wish to have my address shared with them without my express permission.
  • Many computer users do not have adequate protections in place on their systems to prevent address book/contact list harvesting. I do not wish to get caught up in their fiascos.
  • A lot of folks who participate in mass mailings also seem to be aolosers - the sort who will then add my address to their list so that I, too, will be the lucky recipient of the latest urgent warning (i.e., hoax) or funny email (from the mid-90s) making the rounds.

I don't feel alienated by being BCCed - I feel respected.

Oh, and don't send me an egreeting where you've shared my address with a third party. I don't want to go their malware-laden site to view the clever "card" and don't wish to receive their spam.

That pretty much sums up my feelings, as well. Unfortunately, my mother is the biggest offender, in my case... Oh, the junk she sends me (and hundreds of others), despite me attempts to educate her on the issue.

But hey, she's mom.

-Rich

If there are replies expected, and I would think in a family situation there would be, it makes no sense to have everyone BCC'ed because then people can't "reply all" and keep everyone in the conversation, thus the conversation is fragmented and people don't get all of it (or even any of it past the first message) without significant effort on each sender's part to ensure that the entire family is included in the next BCC (which generally doesn't happen.)

If you're forwarding around the latest "funny" or "watch out" crap, then BCC people (the only thing worse than the "funny" forwards are the reply-alls to those same messages!). But for family business, putting everyone in To/Cc is just fine, IMHO.

I see no reason whatsoever to use bcc if everyone on the list knows everyone else.

The best reason to do this is if the email being forwarded is likely to be forwarded again outside the group.

You know the kind. "John and Martha held at gunpoint". That kind of obviously untrue sensationalist garbage will be forwarded by your group of pilots to other pilots and again. Pretty soon there is a valuable list of many emails for some spammer.

Oh wait....

-Skip

Pretty soon there is a valuable list of many emails for some spammer.

Ah but does that actually result in a problem? (This is the part I'd like to find out.)
Does anyone really get a lot of spam from email sharing?
Seems like my spam filter is so good, I see very, very few these days.
And the spam has not proven to be harmful to the function of my computer, either.

That pretty much sums up my feelings, as well. Unfortunately, my mother is the biggest offender, in my case... Oh, the junk she sends me (and hundreds of others), despite me attempts to educate her on the issue.

But hey, she's mom.

-Rich

I had a sister-in-law (she and my brother are now divorced) who insisted on sending anything she considered funny to everyone.

One day my brother called asking why we hadn't come to their Valentine's day party. When I told him I didn't know about it, he assured me that his wife had sent me an email about it. I explained that my spam filter kept discarding her messages and blacklisting her. She finally got the message.

I don't know that there's a netiquette answer, but I never BCC anyone.

If I got that request, id give them options: deal with it, or ill just stop emailing you....

I don't know that there's a netiquette answer, but I never BCC anyone.

If I got that request, id give them options: deal with it, or ill just stop emailing you....

and if the response was: "please bcc me or I'll just killfile you"?

Back