[NA]Need help vid quality[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
iphoneSE to YT

When I go into the camera app and send to YT, the resulting quality is terrible.
I can find no upload settings on the camera screen, nor on the phone settings.
On the YT page where it accepts the upload, there is an option for HD but it is greyed out. (even though, yes Wifi is On and even if I turn off Cell Data)

Google says to send them from the Photos app and all will be well.
I did and the video looks the same.

In both cases when viewing the video, the highest options shown in 240p

iphoneSE to YT

When I go into the camera app and send to YT, the resulting quality is terrible.
I can find no upload settings on the camera screen, nor on the phone settings.
On the YT page where it accepts the upload, there is an option for HD but it is greyed out. (even though, yes Wifi is On and even if I turn off Cell Data)

Google says to send them from the Photos app and all will be well.
I did and the video looks the same.

In both cases when viewing the video, the highest options shown in 240p

More information is needed. What kind of camera, for example. That would be a good start.

YouTube and other video hosting sites won't allow a video to be uploaded as HD unless it already is HD. That means, at a bare minimum, 720p with a video bitrate of 5 Mbps (or 7.5 Mbps if the framerate is > 30).

Rich

thought I covered it in first line

If more details on the phone’s camera needed, will need detailed instructions on how to find

Thanks

No, I simply missed that somehow. Multitasking fail.

I don't know much about iThings, but this may help:

Rich

When you upload a yt video for the first hour or so it is crap quality while it is processed.

Three steps needed here...

1. Set iPhone camera settings to default to the resolution you want to capture video to natively on the device. iPhone SE will capture 4K video at 30 FPS. Or can go 1080 at higher frame rate, up to you.

Settings->Camera

You can’t use the native iOS uploader or Share to send the video. It’s crippled and won’t send 1080 on some iOS versions and never sends 4K. Natively the share and upload built in features default to 720 and will either refuse to upload altogether or downconvert before uploading.

2. You load the movie into iMovie not iPhoto. The full movie editing app. Put your YouTube login info into iMovie and upload from inside that app.

(Note: Knowing you’re on rural bandwidth as I am, expect to wait a damn long time if your video is long.)

Then as @SixPapaCharlie pointed out, WAIT for YouTube to say their “processing” is completed before even bothering to look at the thing on their site. It’ll look like garbage for often well into an hour after upload. Their first pass after the upload is to create a horrid low quality version for their variable nitrate streaming stuff.

Later on you can tell it’s done if you view it on a PC and can switch between resolutions on the bottom bar. I don’t even completely trust the admin page saying it’s done because their content distribution system sometimes hasn’t gotten it copied to the local servers handling YT traffic from my ISP.

Hope that helps. iOS won’t upload natively in 4K. But iMovie will do it. It’ll also upload in 1080 if you’re seeing the built in iOS uploads are showing up as 720 on YT.

I don't use YT personally, but I do use it for clients quite extensively. I have never found the 1080 HD conversion to take more than a few minutes. I don't know about 4K. I have a hard enough time getting the guys to send me 1080. (We did pretty much break them of the vertical video habit, however.)

For my own stuff, I use Vimeo Pro. The less I have to do with Google, the better I like it.

Rich

Back