[NA]Need Brit car simulator[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Looks like I will have to drive in the U.K. and traffic is crazy where we are going....is there such a thing as an online simulator to learn how to drive on the left?
Thanks

Find a Smart Car. The first ones imported have British oriented controls. They're in the country.....I know an owner.

Looks like I will have to drive in the U.K. and traffic is crazy where we are going....is there such a thing as an online simulator to learn how to drive on the left?
Thanks

Nope, but it's actually not that difficult since you still sit in the car so the driver is towards the center of the road, and there's lots of traffic so turning onto the wrong side of the street really isn't an issue. The most difficult thing to get used to is judging the left front corner of the car from traffic/curb because you arent used to that perspective. The other thing is walking up to the right side of the car instead of the left in the parking lot or gas station. Even after 2 years, I'd still occassionally open the wrong door at a servo. Parking lots also create another situation where you may swerve to the wrong side when someone turns in towards you and you're both in the middle. Traffic Circulars, a.k.a. Roundabouts are pervasive, and you better get used to them quickly. My advice, never slow down! Rather, approach above speed, time yourself for the gap (it's a lot like making turning approach to final, you judge perspective shift) and make sure you have at least 5mph on top of traffic speed, if you don't, floor it. You can decellerate much more quickly than accellerating.

Find a Smart Car. The first ones imported have British oriented controls. They're in the country.....I know an owner.

That's actually not good, because you're driving on the right side of the car and road rather than left side of the road, so if you do gain that orientation, it will actually make things worse there since you'll be used to driving next to the curb.

That's actually not good, because you're driving on the right side of the car and road rather than left side of the road, so if you do gain that orientation, it will actually make things worse there since you'll be used to driving next to the curb.
Now Henning, I didn't say anything about driving it on the correct side of the road....

Seriously though, It's like being a CFI. You do need some time to get used to it.

It's not really a big deal - you get used to it pretty quickly. I'd suggest picking it up for the airport and IMMEDIATELY getting on a limited access highway - i.e. no towns, etc.

It sounds counterintuitive to jump right in with the fast traffic but it's actually easier because there are fewer choices to make, no traffic coming at you from places you aren't used to (other than passing, and frankly in the US since people pass on the right all the time anyway, it's not a big deal) and everyone on your road is going in the same direction. Once you do that for a little bit you will feel fine.

After driving in the left lane on highways for a few weeks, it will feel funny when you get home and stay right - you will feel like you are being rude, hogging the fast (right) lane!

The other thing is walking up to the right side of the car instead of the left in the parking lot or gas station. Even after 2 years, I'd still occassionally open the wrong door at a servo. .

Whenever I did that I just pretended I was getting the map out of the passenger seat to peruse it. :D

Now Henning, I didn't say anything about driving it on the correct side of the road....

Seriously though, It's like being a CFI. You do need some time to get used to it.

Yep, and like everyone else, you do that on the way out of the parking lot at Heathrow.:yes: You really are much better getting used to it there because you take all your traffic cues from the people around you. If someone wants to make it easier, duct tape a small dowl to the outside forward corner of the bumper so you can more accurately judge the car, but you'll still miss on judging the curb, so I suggest that if the car has hubcaps, you remove the left front one for the first few days since you will tag a curb or two especially in some of those "behind the island" turns. Also consider renting the first week independantly from the rest of the time and taking the extra insurance.

BTW, never really had a problem flying a plane from the right seat...

Last edited:
It took me about a day to get the hang of it. Roundabouts and passing on 2 lane roads were Ok the second day. The UK is a great place to drive because the roads are good and drivers are polite. I've driven about 11,000 miles there and seen only one accident. Compare that to the carnage one would se driving 11,000 miles in the US. Living in the Bahamas where we drive on the left and driving 8,000 or so in Oz and NZ in the last few years I,ve made a "mistake" or two in the US.

It sounds counterintuitive to jump right in with the fast traffic but it's actually easier because there are fewer choices to make, no traffic coming at you from places you aren't used to (other than passing, and frankly in the US since people pass on the right all the time anyway, it's not a big deal) and everyone on your road is going in the same direction. Once you do that for a little bit you will feel fine.

Totally agree, too bad I didn't get to do that. My first experience I picked up a rental in Brixton and drove to Southampton then up to Oxford and through the countryside on those two way winding one lane roads lined with the 15'tall hedgerows. That was actually the most difficult scariest driving because you come across opposite direction lorries and you're both doing 40+:eek:. Funniest thing is ROW since every once in a while you have a little divot in the hedgerow for passing (the road literally is one lane and a narrow single lane). Naturally, if you're in a car and come across a lorrie, you back up to the nearest divot, however, in a car to car conflict, those with nice and expensive cars expect to get right of way. So here I am in a little cheap Ford POS bumper to bumper with a blue hair blue blood woman in a 700 series Beemer who had a divot about 10' behind her but refused to back up, so I just set the brake and started making out with my girlfriend, after a few minutes, she decided to back up.:D

1. It will take between 30 and 90 seconds before you turn on the windshield wipers by accident.

2. Right turns: you should run through a few and memorize the steps, because they are the toughest.

3. Be especially careful if you are driving tired- "primacy" can be your friend. It can also be your bitter enemy.

Late night, headed home from my sister's house to our "serviced flat" in Adelaide, nephew in passenger seat:

"Keep left, Uncle Spike. Keep left. KEEP LEFT!!!!!" (swerves to avoid wildly gesticulating almost-victim).

It took me about a day to get the hang of it. Roundabouts and passing on 2 lane roads were Ok the second day. The UK is a great place to drive because the roads are good and drivers are polite. I've driven about 11,000 miles there and seen only one accident. Compare that to the carnage one would se driving 11,000 miles in the US. Living in the Bahamas where we drive on the left and driving 8,000 or so in Oz and NZ in the last few years I,ve made a "mistake" or two in the US.

11,000 miles isn't really that much driving--and you can easily drive that several times over again in the midwest and never see an accident or even a rude driver.

Ok allow me a stupid question. I know I will be on the right, and SC indicates the wiper and the signal will be swapped. Its a standard so I presume the gear shift will be on the left in between the people up front.
Now, will the pedals be swapped or no??
Will first be up and away or up and near?

I sort of believe I can keep the car on the correct side; what I am worried about is I won't know which way to look for traffic.
Maybe youtube has some videoes I can watch for a couple hours to ingrain some of this in my mind.
We are supposed to land around noon then hop in after 14 hours of air travel and boogie out of the city.
I am particularily nervous because my nephew from Mexico says the traffic there was wild (and, as I said, he is from Mx!).

It's not really a big deal - you get used to it pretty quickly. I'd suggest picking it up for the airport and IMMEDIATELY getting on a limited access highway - i.e. no towns, etc.

It really is quite easy. The first time, you will freak out once or twice as you meet oncoming traffic (I know I did). The biggest change is learning to drive stick opposite, but it only takes an hour to get used to it.

I used to frequently get off a flight at 5 or 6AM and hop right in. It's a lot easier than people think... just stay focused and relaxed.

Cheers,

-Andrew

11,000 miles isn't really that much driving--and you can easily drive that several times over again in the midwest and never see an accident or even a rude driver.

Substitute rude with idiot and you'd be wrong...

Cheers,

-Andrew
who notes that the midwest is the only place he's seen someone STOP in FOUR LANES OF TRAFFIC and SIGNAL to try and EXIT the highway. We kill you for that in the East.

who notes that the midwest is the only place he's seen someone STOP in FOUR LANES OF TRAFFIC and SIGNAL to try and EXIT the highway. We kill you for that in the East.
The real midwest doesn't have four lanes of traffic. :) The county I grew up in didn't even have a stop light. When we did finally get a stop light (around 2003) it was a huge event with the local media. The oldest citizen turned the switch that activated it.

The real midwest doesn't have four lanes of traffic. :) The county I grew up in didn't even have a stop light. When we did finally get a stop light (around 2003) it was a huge event with the local media. The oldest citizen turned the switch that activated it.

Hence why you have drivers like Andrew described. ;)

Substitute rude with idiot and you'd be wrong...

Cheers,

-Andrew

The rest of the Midwest would disown Chicago if we could. ;)

And frankly, you've got some doozies out east too...

But consistently, the worst driving I've ever seen by a state is in Texas. (East Texas, Dave... I think folks are calmer out your way. ;)) Illinois (well, the "greater" Chicago area) is maniacal - Texas is just idiotic.

Ironically, the best drivers seem to be in places like Montana. Yeah, that's right, the "we don't want a speed limit, so all of our tickets are $5" Montana.

Last edited:
Ok allow me a stupid question. I know I will be on the right, and SC indicates the wiper and the signal will be swapped. Its a standard so I presume the gear shift will be on the left in between the people up front.
Now, will the pedals be swapped or no??
Will first be up and away or up and near?

As for turn signal swap, it depends, Japanese cars, and most UK built cars yes, continental European built cars no. Shifter still in center, pedal swap, no it's the same, shift pattern will be the same (up and away for most cars, back and away for a few).

It really is quite easy. The first time, you will freak out once or twice as you meet oncoming traffic (I know I did). The biggest change is learning to drive stick opposite, but it only takes an hour to get used to it.

I used to frequently get off a flight at 5 or 6AM and hop right in. It's a lot easier than people think... just stay focused and relaxed.

Cheers,

-Andrew

One thing that took a bit longer than that for me to get used to was looking over my shoulder making a right turn in a momentary fear that I was making a turn cutting someone off coming up from behind.

Imagine the confusion when Sweden switched from left-hand to right-hand driving in 1967. It apparently went smoothly, though:
Aside from a few bent fenders and dented egos, the change was, in fact, so bloodless that two days passed before Sweden reported a single traffic fatality.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,941144,00.html

Biggest learning curve for me came when I tried to be polite and open the door for my wife after Avis handed us the keys... and I opened the same door as I usually do, and she laughed and said "I'M NOT DRIVING!". Roundabouts were fun...

Seriously, though, after a few minutes, everything seemed natural. I just really focused at those first few intersections about which lane I needed to turn into.

And I'll second the comment about it being "different" trying to judge distance at that left front bumper when turning into a parking space.

You'll do fine!! Have fun.

Imagine the confusion when Sweden switched from left-hand to right-hand driving in 1967. It apparently went smoothly, though:
Aside from a few bent fenders and dented egos, the change was, in fact, so bloodless that two days passed before Sweden reported a single traffic fatality.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,941144,00.html

I remember a British gent telling that story over a B&B breakfast one morning - he joked that to get folks used to it, on even days only the trucks swapped sides, on odd days everyone else. hahaha

The same guy also told us about the Elk Test in Sweden (we were talking about the new Smart Cars at this point -this was several years ago already...).

I got used to really quickly. I had a harder time converting back to US style driving. Maybe that is because I am left handed and driving UK style just seemed really the rigth way to do stuff to me.

But consistently, the worst driving I've ever seen by a state is in Texas. (East Texas, Dave... I think folks are calmer out your way. ;)) Illinois (well, the "greater" Chicago area) is maniacal - Texas is just idiotic.

Ironically, the best drivers seem to be in places like Montana. Yeah, that's right, the "we don't want a speed limit, so all of our tickets are $5" Montana.

Good guess, wrong city. I was in Dayton the first time I saw that. I've also seen similar behavior in western MO and central IN. The volume of spittle on my windshield after a long day of midwestern driving is pretty bad...

Cheers,

-Andrew

One thing that took a bit longer than that for me to get used to was looking over my shoulder making a right turn in a momentary fear that I was making a turn cutting someone off coming up from behind.

I never, ever get over that. When I was driving in Japan last year, every right turn would be met with "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HERE" in the back of my brain. Driving in Japan was actually the easiest left-side driving I've ever had, yet all the guidebooks scream "Do not drive here!"

Cheers,

-Andrew

Dunno about Texas, but I was driving about 20 over the limit on the toll road going around around Chicago (494?) and some guy used the shoulder to pass me. I used to like the toll booths a lot better before they put the gates up - you could throw the money in without stopping - yea, you would trigger the buzzer, but only for a second. During rush hour, the buzzers would be going off constantly.

But back to the original subject - I've driven right hand drive vehicles in the US - You keep turning on the wipers when you want to signal, and the mirrors are in the "wrong" place. Driving left hand drive cars on the left side of the road (Virgin Islands) I had problems making right turns - I would end up on the wrong side of the road.

I suspect you will find roundabouts more entertaining than the switch to the other side of the road.

I wonder if they rent out magnetic rooftop rotating beacons or "US driver on board!"

Dunno about Texas, but I was driving about 20 over the limit on the toll road going around around Chicago (494?) and some guy used the shoulder to pass me. I used to like the toll booths a lot better before they put the gates up - you could throw the money in without stopping - yea, you would trigger the buzzer, but only for a second. During rush hour, the buzzers would be going off constantly.
They've done away with the gates (and the tollbooths) for those willing to use the iPass/EZPass device. I'll admit that there are many fewer backups for tolls now, though the system does have other problems.

I think that 294 is probably the toll road you're thinking of, though I wouldn't consider it going "around" Chicago these days! The North/South (I-355) is probably closer to that.

But back to the original subject - I've driven right hand drive vehicles in the US - You keep turning on the wipers when you want to signal, and the mirrors are in the "wrong" place. Driving left hand drive cars on the left side of the road (Virgin Islands) I had problems making right turns - I would end up on the wrong side of the road.

I suspect you will find roundabouts more entertaining than the switch to the other side of the road.
And There are a few roundabouts in the Chicago area for those who want to practice those, as well as downtown Chicago, where the on-ramp to the expressway is on the LEFT. Always fun when some boze decides to stop at the bottom of the ramp to merge!:hairraise:
My only experience driving on the left (legally:D) was a little bit in New Zealand, coming off a sheep station and going into "town" for the mail. Really, a non-event.

Oh, BTW, if you're going to be driving in London, have a GPS since there are very very few street name signs in London (though if you're just moving within London, leave the car parked and take the bus or underground)

Yeah, I should have mentioned - I wouldn't drive in London for all the tea in China. Taxis, bus, tube. That's it.

Yeah, I always wondered that since everywhere else one goes, cab driver is like an immigrants first job, why in london it's 3 or 5 years worth of school and training (if you want to drive a black cab it's 5) then I got there and it was all clear to me, you have to memorize all the streets. Good thing is walking down the road and asking for directions, no one refers to street names, they refer to shops, trees and other landmarks.

That problem is mostly solved on the IL tollway system - Anyone who has iPass or EZPass can blow right through at "55" (=90) these days.

I'm sure it saves the 90mph-ers some gas anyway. ;)

And at least the guy who passed you on the shoulder was still on pavement... Texans don't necessarily stick to the pavement. :eek:

Good guess, wrong city. I was in Dayton the first time I saw that. I've also seen similar behavior in western MO and central IN. The volume of spittle on my windshield after a long day of midwestern driving is pretty bad...

Interesting.

And you used to live in Boston.

I'd say you've had some unusually bad luck if the Midwest was worse than Boston! And Ohio cops are pretty stringent too.

Yeah, I always wondered that since everywhere else one goes, cab driver is like an immigrants first job, why in london it's 3 or 5 years worth of school and training (if you want to drive a black cab it's 5) then I got there and it was all clear to me, you have to memorize all the streets. Good thing is walking down the road and asking for directions, no one refers to street names, they refer to shops, trees and other landmarks.

Do you know the lady who wrote the A to Zed did it all by WALKING EVERY BLOODY STREET IN LONDON?

Yeah, I should have mentioned - I wouldn't drive in London for all the tea in China. Taxis, bus, tube. That's it.
Driving in London is no big deal. If you can handle DC you can handle London. Before the M25 I used to have to drive fromt eh east side of London all the way out to Heathrow and most of it on city roads. The thing that is really tough in London is parking. Terrible!!!!

Like others said - no trouble converting to driving on the opposite side. You are totally alert and on your toes. The trouble comes when you return to the states and relax because you are "back to normal" but have been driving on the opposite side of the road for several months or longer.

The closest I came to having an accident ( a couple of times) was when the traffic in the round about included a bicycle. He won't be where you are looking for the traffic to merge with. Another surprise was encountering farm tractors on a divided four lane four lane highway. (large differences in speed)

Just don't leave it parked on a public street in London ... £8/day Congestion Zone charge! :eek:

That's just within the CBD and it does not require parking to be assessed. The area which public transit makes more sense than a car is considerably larger than the CBD.

I saw the thread title, and I thought you were looking for something to simulate the fabled reliability of vintage british sports cars. Especially the patented Lucas Positive Ground electrical systems.

Back