[NA]Mysterious queries [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
A guy called work today, asking questions about my house, which is located next door. It is commonly known I live there so I admitted that and no more.
He said he was with the US Dept of Commerce and involved with Census taking. He wanted to know about the house. Not the property, not the occupants, and it had nothing to do with taxes....according to him. He called from a nearby town (caller ID agreed with the name he gave) and said if he was in person he would show his ID and his letter of authorization. Because of distances around here, he said he does a lot of inquiry by phone first. Said he would come by tomorrow. I said if he planned on going to the property, he wouldn't get in. Asked if he could come to work. I said, 'whatever', he promised to show his badge and authorization letter. Gave this 1800 phone no: 835 9752 x34462 ______________ Tx.

I am kinda creeped out by all this and am not willing to reveal anything to him right now. What'd'y'all think?
Avoid/ignore? Meet and listen only? Listen and answer only questions that the general public already knows? Take his pic, get his plates, photocopy everything, have the sheriff on hand?

We had a local gal come by last spring for 'census'. I have known her for 18 years and trust her. What is this all about?

Does the law require me to answer any questions?

Last edited:
I agree, give nothing over the phone. If he shows up in person and his papers are in order then give info that is not going to open you to identity theft or any other kind of crime. You could also verify who he is with the local police/census office.

The interesting thing is that the official censor should not start until 2010. So the fact that he is asking anything now is a red flag, at least to me. According to this press release from the Census bureau they are only starting to form committees.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/2010_census/014098.html

Some info about scams

http://www.census.gov/survey_partic...shing_email_scams_bogus_census_web_sites.html

Lastly call the office that is serving your area
http://www.census.gov/rodal/www/
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2010 Census Office
U.S. Census Bureau
Dallas Regional Census Center
2777 N. Stemmons Fwy, Suite 200
Dallas, TX 75207-2277
(214) 267-6900 or 1-866-861-2010
FAX: (972) 755-3700
E-mail:dallas.recruiting@census.gov
[/FONT]

got a hold of 'my' census lady - she says he is legit although a little stupid. Ie - showed up unannounced at one remote ranch house here, July 4th at noon; didn't get shot at but got a blistering tongue-lashing by older ranchwoman!
Still not convinced I have to answer anything.
Thanks for your research.

I'd have done the same - there are too many scams these days.

Got a call the other day on a cellphone from a bank regarding the account of a relative. Wanted personal info from me as I am on the access list for that account. Enough info to cause identity theft. Took name and number, he understood my concern about it being a scam. Promptly called relative and also looked up the number for that branch of the bank and called back on that number.

As for Census, they're putting a PR and advertising campaign on here urging people to respond as "it's the law" and "we won't get our fair share of Federal tax money" if we don't respond. They then point out that "if you're not here legally, respond as Census can't turn you in".

Example

I understand that many people, like Big Mama, don't trust the federal government. I'm also aware it is illegal for the Census Bureau to share personal information with any other government agency, including law enforcement.

But for those who are still inclined to ignore the decennial count for whatever personal reason or history or preposterous political agenda (yes, I'm talking to you, Rep. Michele Bachmann -- the Minnesota Republican has threatened not to completely fill out her census form), I want to appeal to your pocketbook.

Once counted, the census data will determine how more than $400 billion a year in federal funding is allocated. How much money your community gets is in your hands. The census is about power, but equally important, it's about money.
."I'm hoping more people will mail in their census form than ever before," Locke said.

I hope so, too. We need every penny saved, considering the bulging deficit the government is racking up.

I was talking about the census with a friend yesterday. We were trying to remember what the minimum information was you were required to give. I was thinking it was only two or three things. Number of people living at residence?

Does anybody know?

I was talking about the census with a friend yesterday. We were trying to remember what the minimum information was you were required to give. I was thinking it was only two or three things. Number of people living at residence?

Does anybody know?

It's more than that, and it varies by year. Most folks get a 1 or 2 pager that asks things like how many in the household, ages, names, and how long you've been there.

Others get a long, detailed form that asks about the house, property, income, house construction, names, ages, ethnic heritage, languages spoken, and much more. I got one one year and it was something like 10 pages long.

The detailed sample data is used not only by the US Govt for demographic information (and estimation of people who didn't respond) but also by a huge number of commercial enterprises from marketers to service providers.

They can kiss my arse. I will provide what *I* believe is the minimum information they need...namely how many people and ethnic background and age.

Other than that the government already HAS how much my house cost, how many square feet, etc. If they want that information the Feds will have to talk to my State/County authorities.

I received the long, honkin' form once (2000). Answered to names of residents, and that was just about it.

The government can lick my backside before I volunteer excessive personal information.

I remember back many years ago when they asked how many bathrooms you have.

I tune in WGN and hear the brilliant suburban caller, "I don't WANT TO TELL THEM how many bathrooms I have! They might decide I have too many!"

Imagine how it's gonna be now that trusting the guvmint is so common. :no:

Last time around they asked for the race of each resident in our house. I wrote "HUMAN" for each. Didn't hear another word.

The purpose in the Constitution for the census is to apportion representation in the House of Representatives. Nothing else. They need to know who is living there. That's it.

I remember back many years ago when they asked how many bathrooms you have.

I tune in WGN and hear the brilliant suburban caller, "I don't WANT TO TELL THEM how many bathrooms I have! They might decide I have too many!"

Imagine how it's gonna be now that trusting the guvmint is so common. :no:
Did Wally then give her a pair of pantyhose with the cotton panel?

:D :D :D :D

Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Phillips

When I would come up to Chicago when I was a kid my grandma would always be listening to Wally on WGN.

Back