[NA]My new truck (AKA, The tranny pan is not the oil pan)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So on a whim, yesterday, I went out and looked at a truck that was for sale for $500. Its a 1972 F250, with a 390cid engine. Beautiful (for being 35 years old). I spent all day yesterday doing the new truck thing, including hitting up the junkyard for new seats.

Come time to drain the oil, it was getting a bit late, and in the darkness, I grabbed what felt like the oil pan and drained the "oil" out. Then I filled the oil back up, checked the stick....wow, that's a lot of oil. Maybe I overfilled it somehow. Back underneath to drain the oil again, and nothing comes out.

After scratching my head for about an hour, I went under again, and quickly determined that I accidentally drained the transmission fluid, not the oil, and now I have double the oil capacity in the crankcase. Yikes!

That problem was solved by draining the oil and refilling (after finding the real oilpan). I go to refill the transmission fluid and find....I don't have a 1 inch socket, which I need to open the fill cock for the tranmission. D'oh! Truck is sitting until I go buy a 1 inch socket.

I'll post pictures later, but this truck is awesome, and its just what I wanted for a beater that can be fun to work on/restore in between plane building time. Couldn't beat the price (even talked it down a bit), and its dirt simple to work on. Best part: Its pre emission, so I can do whatever I want to it and not have to worry about some overburdensome laws keeping me from having fun!

That would be an...

Oops!

I once was needing a set of glow plugs. I removed the old ones and called for replacements. But, no one would deliver to a residence. I finally begged and begged and got a NAPA store to do it... After having to talk them into taking a credit card over the phone. It bites not having what you need when you need it.

Most excellent, Nick!

If it (1) runs, (2) drives, and (3) is in one solid piece (no rust holes)- then it is a big-time bargain. You'll never go wrong at that price.

I cannot wait for pics.

To this day, I still grieve for my 1973 F100 (3-on-the-tree, 240CI six, rubber mat floor, manual steering, velour interior, white spokers, 8-track player and twin trucker antennas for the C.B. Radio). Sold it well, and miss it daily.

OBTW- could not tell: is the tranny in yours an automatic or a 4-speed?

gotta assume a manual tranny, as the automatic C-6 tranny fills thru the dipstick tube

hmmm, that got me thinking ... I don't recall Ford manual trannies having a 1" fill plug, either ... IIRC, a 3/8" drive ratchet fits the fill plug ... ?

hmmm, that got me thinking ... I don't recall Ford manual trannies having a 1" fill plug, either ... IIRC, a 3/8" drive ratchet fits the fill plug ... ?

You are kind of correct....

I determined that it was bigger than the biggest 3/4" I had, so I figured, it had to be 1". I bought a 1" and it was too big. Has to be 13/16" or 15/16" then. Nope. Had to make a third trip to get a 7/8" which fit. I pulled the plug, started filling, and it wouldn't take a drop of oil, it just spilled out. Turns out, that was not the fill plug. I don't know what it is, but its located at the base of the shift lever, and it is 7/8" head.

So I started feeling along the side of the transmission, knowing it had to be on the passenger side right (I'm no dummy when it comes to most of this stuff), and there it was. 5/8". I couldn't find it because of the 30+ years of grime and pure nastiness all over. A bunch of engine degreaser later, I was pouring 3 1/2 quarts of 20/50 (thank god I didn't listen to my retarded roommate, telling me ATF was close enough), and I got her running and driving fine.

She's a beaut (well....she will be a beaut). Here's some pics I just took a bit ago:

1) Full splendor
2) Showing the needed repairs to the lenses
3) The old seat, which I'm glad I replaced with....
4) A "new" seat from the junkyard.

Attachments

• IMAGE_017.jpg
    IMAGE_017.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAGE_018.jpg
    IMAGE_018.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAGE_019.jpg
    IMAGE_019.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAGE_020.jpg
    IMAGE_020.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 40
Most excellent, Nick!

If it (1) runs, (2) drives, and (3) is in one solid piece (no rust holes)- then it is a big-time bargain. You'll never go wrong at that price.

I cannot wait for pics.

To this day, I still grieve for my 1973 F100 (3-on-the-tree, 240CI six, rubber mat floor, manual steering, velour interior, white spokers, 8-track player and twin trucker antennas for the C.B. Radio). Sold it well, and miss it daily.

OBTW- could not tell: is the tranny in yours an automatic or a 4-speed?
Four on the Floor. Rubber mat floor. Manual steering. FM radio that appears to be original, but I don't think FMs came original in 1972. I could be wrong, but it works. I will be installing the CB next payday.

gotta assume a manual tranny, as the automatic C-6 tranny fills thru the dipstick tube
Indeed. Plus, I wouldn't have drained the tranny pan on an automatic as easily.

Evidently not that simple:rofl:

LOL! Yeah, well....it was dark afterall.

Four on the Floor. Rubber mat floor. Manual steering. FM radio that appears to be original, but I don't think FMs came original in 1972. I could be wrong, but it works. I will be installing the CB next payday.

If you want, Nick, I bet I can track down at least one CB radio, in good order, that is yours for the asking. I know I own at least three of them, and the only challenge will be laying hands on one.

Just say the word.

If you want, Nick, I bet I can track down at least one CB radio, in good order, that is yours for the asking. I know I own at least three of them, and the only challenge will be laying hands on one.

Just say the word.

The word :D

Just say the word.
A lawyer with a CB radio? I never knew they used CBs for ambulance chasing.

:D

That looks like a good utilitarian truck that ought to serve you well. Those old things are great in that they're so ridiculously simple and there's not a whole lot to break on them.

It's been my experience that manual transmissions like having some sort of gear oil, not ATF. In the TKO in my Jag, I use the recommended GM Synchromesh P/N 12345349 (odd seeing as I associate the Tremec with Ford). My Dodge used a Mopar fluid (which I then started using RedLine MTL with), and at 107,000 miles the trans still shifted like new. Each transmission has its specific recommended fluid - but even canola oil would probably be fine, just something that's not water. :)

I know there may be ford haters out there but I have to say that my father has used nothing but fords for his business and they just keep going.

A CB Nick, didn't know people were still using them.

I even used a ford van (freestyle) for body removals when I was in the mortuary business.

Will serve you well for sure.

For 0.5K you can't go wrong with a working vehicle. Good job. I miss the days of owning and wrenching scab cars and bikes. Can't remember what happened...oh yeah, I got married!

I know there may be ford haters out there but I have to say that my father has used nothing but fords for his business and they just keep going.

I've owned Fords, Chevys, and Dodges (not to mention a bunch of Jaguars in there, a few Cadillacs, a Lincoln, a Jeep, etc.). The one thing I've found they all have in common is that they all break, and they all have their plusses and minuses. Same can be said for anything. So, I'm an equal opportunity purchaser. Only thing is the only countries I've purchased vehicles from have been the US and England (we'll ignore overseas production for the moment, as my Dodge was built in Mexico). I did own an Acura for a period of a month, but I had taken it in trade from a friend of mine, and the title never even entered my name.

I stopped buying into the whatever brand vs. whatever other brand argument some years back, but I still laugh at the jokes about them - most of them are funny. :)

I still hope that the guy who designed the anti-theft system on my Ford is not allowed to employ similar techniques within 100 miles of an aircraft.

$500 for a functioning vehicle that only needs a few items is really a good deal. I've unfortunately gotten vehicles for free that I overpaid for. My Jeep was a good example. I was offered a good condition Suburban for $2000 (about a '98 model) and then got this thing instead since it was free. The thing blew a water pump, radiator, wheel cylinder, hood popped open, electrical problems, etc.

Your '72 Ford I think will prove more reliable than my Heep was. :)

Last edited:
A bunch of engine degreaser later, I was pouring 3 1/2 quarts of 20/50 (thank god I didn't listen to my retarded roommate, telling me ATF was close enough), and I got her running and driving fine.

Are you sure 20w50 is the proper fill for the tranny? Most of that old heavy duty stuff used hypoid 80w90 or similar.

Are you sure 20w50 is the proper fill for the tranny? Most of that old heavy duty stuff used hypoid 80w90 or similar.

Surprised me too, but I checked the national lube hotline, and they confirmed it. Very weird.

Nick, get a Haynes manual for the truck, or go to an auto parts store that has the Chilton or other tech manuals for free. I think it was Trak Auto or such I visited years ago that had a PC you could use to look up and print out repair notes.

Last edited:
Nick, get a Haynes manual for the truck, or go to an auto parts store that has the Chilton or other tech manuals for free. I think it was Trak Auto or such I visited years ago that had a PC you could use to look up and print out repair notes.

Does it have a brief description of how to work on a boxer engine?

OK, Haynes. Don't be short with me, Herr Ibold.

It looks like they don't print truck manuals. :dunno:

better yet, hop on over to http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php good helpful Ford stuff over there.

I grew up in a family construction business that ran Ford trucks (from F250 up thru F800 trucks) and had at least 15 or so at any one time, as well as one token Chevy and one International that just wouldn't die. Don't know how reliable the Ford line is now, but back in the 60s and 70s, they did the job admirably.

Don't know how reliable the Ford line is now, but back in the 60s and 70s, they did the job admirably.
While not really a truck, my 1991 Ford Explorer went 120K miles with only two unscheduled maintenance visits, both for front suspension issues. Shoulda kept it.

OK, Haynes. Don't be short with me, Herr Ibold.

It looks like they don't print truck manuals. :dunno:
Chiltons does (I thought Haynes did, too) ... keep in mind that these books are pretty general and there's a lot of stuff incomplete or just wrong ... shop manual is a great addition to the garage if you intend to maintain it yourself. Altho, I've gotten all the questions I've needed answered from the 'net ...

Haynes is my best friend. Unfortunately, it appears they do not make a manual for my truck. Unfortunately, I'll bet Chilton does, and I hate the Chilton manuals.

C'est la vie! 1957-1972 was a LOOOONG time ago.

Just say the word.
I have a VHF radio you can have (it doesn't have the .25 spacing). It don't even need the laying of the hands on it, it works perfectly. It has a CDI too.

Just wait until you have to replace the starter. Oh, what fun! I'll even tell you how to find the 'hidden' bolt.

Just wait until you have to replace the starter. Oh, what fun! I'll even tell you how to find the 'hidden' bolt.

What's he need that for? The starter won't be on the minimum equipment list.

It's a stick. Just always park uphill and let gravity spin the engine. :D

I hear the drain plug for the Blinker fluid can be a tough one to find, too!

Muffler bearings on those are tough to get these days...

Muffler bearings on those are tough to get these days...

No they're not!! I found some...if you go to that one store down the road next to that restaurant (not the good one, but it's not the bad one, either) they're on the shelf that's about halfway back from the front on the left, near the right side, next to the Wall Pushers.

Come time to drain the oil, it was getting a bit late, and in the darkness, I grabbed what felt like the oil pan and drained the "oil" out. Then I filled the oil back up, checked the stick....wow, that's a lot of oil. Maybe I overfilled it somehow. Back underneath to drain the oil again, and nothing comes out.

After scratching my head for about an hour, I went under again, and quickly determined that I accidentally drained the transmission fluid, not the oil, and now I have double the oil capacity in the crankcase. Yikes!!

Arn't you the guy who said he was going to build an aircraft??

:)

Back