[NA]MS Excel[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I noticed the computer did not come with Excel.
I have it on my other half dozen computers and figured I could pop in a disk and extract it.
Each of the computers comes with a Recovery Disk... Excel is in there.. but you cannot just exe the file and move it to a new computer (that I can see).
I suppose you have to buy a new program each time and it expires with the now-deceased computer.

If your computer came with excel and another did not, yes, I think so - its an OEM licence - special restrictions.

If you buy MS Office separately, then you can transfer the licence from one computer to another, but only one computer at a time, legally speaking.

And no, its very rare with big applications that you can just copy them and have them work on another PC.

Ditto what Chuck said. I deal with OEM, individual and volume licensing a lot with work. The OEM is not supposed to move from the original computer. Recovery disks USUALLY won't let you install to a non-original computer anyway.

If you just need to look at the files without actually editing, download a free Excel Viewer from Microsoft. If you need to edit, you might consider Openoffice as an alternative.

Dave, I have installed Open Office on all the computers in my office for those very few times when our WordPerfect suite won't do the trick. OPen Office has never, ever, choked on any MS Word or Excel file, and that include Open Office Calc, the spreadsheet program.

Try it; you may well find that you have no need to accept the MS shakedown any longer.

Back