[NA] Movies you love to laugh at

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Recently we've been watching movies with such bad science, they're funny.

Our recent list of movies we loved laughing at:
The Day After Tomorrow - glossed over the real science - didn't laugh at it so much as we did at LA getting leveled by hurricanes. Then it got touchy-feely... :/
The Core - OMG - Unobtainium?!?! "This is my kung-fu and it is strong!"?!?! OMG we haven't laughed so hard in ages!!
Volcano - LA getting flattened is always funny. But we noticed that the volcano was gone in TDAT - we were disappointed... :rofl:

Looking for other movies to TiVo and get a good guffaw out of. :)

I absolutely LOVE those campy disaster movies! I seek them out on the weekends when I have the time. The Sci-Fi channel is actually a pretty good source of them. I've seen "Volcano" several times, and got the DVD for "The Day After Tomorrow" as a Christmas present. Then there was 10.5, just a lovely film, with nuclear weapons being revealed as the cure for for earthquakes. Even had the obligatory dude who sacrifices himself to save the world. But nobody did that as well as Bruce Willis in "Armegeddon." The crew of the space ship in "Deep Impact" comes close, though, with the unforgetable line "Well, at least now we'll all have high schools named after us."

I can't remember the name of the volcano film with Pierce Brosnan in it, but that's another that keeps getting shown on tv that we always watch.
Then there's "Twister," "The Night of the Twisters," and on and on. Best film genre out there!

Oh yeah, Armageedon and Deep Impact are great Disaster movies.

The Brosnan film is Dante's Peak - although it seemed a LITTLE more factually based... :)

Greebo said:
Oh yeah, Armageedon and Deep Impact are great Disaster movies.

The Brosnan film is Dante's Peak - although it seemed a LITTLE more factually based... :)

Yep, Dante's Peak is the one I was thinking about. I won't hold their use of some facts against them, though. They make up for it by melting a grandmother with acid. Now, how many movies will do that for you? :D

what about clint?? didn't he give his life for all of us in that Grumpy Old Spacemen movie? what the heck was that called?

tom clark said:
what about clint?? didn't he give his life for all of us in that Grumpy Old Spacemen movie? what the heck was that called?

Space Cowboys. If memory serves, it was Tommy Lee Jones who offed himself. But that doesn't really count, since he was dying anyway.

Actually it was Tommy Lee Jones who gave his all - but his sacrifice was diminished by the fact that he was dying anyway. Space Cowboys

http://www.imdb.com is your movie friend

Joe Williams said:
Space Cowboys. If memory serves, it was Tommy Lee Jones who offed himself. But that doesn't really count, since he was dying anyway.
Curse you! I was looking it up and IMDB locked up on me so you beat me to it!!!

Oh, jeez - I TiVo'd 10.5 and took about 2 weeks to get through it. I could stomach only about 20 minutes at a time but kept watching, desperately hoping it would be worthwhile. It wasn't!

oh my. that locust movie was one of the worst things i have ever seen. carnivorous locusts, what a riot! i loved it when they'd show one flying close right by the camera. it looked like a tiny flying monkey from the wizard of oz! so bad it was funny!

MARS ATTACKS w/ Jack Nicholson. Bonus: Tom Jones uses GA to the best advantage !

Dave Krall CFII said:
MARS ATTACKS w/ Jack Nicholson. Bonus: Tom Jones uses GA to the best advantage !
Well, I'm not sure that one qualifies as "bad science funny" since Mars Attacks in no way tries to take itself seriously. ;)

Greebo said:
Well, I'm not sure that one qualifies as "bad science funny" since Mars Attacks in no way tries to take itself seriously. ;)

Oh...

I thought it was quite a realistic scenario. I took it seriously anyway...

Tremors
Strange Brew (ok it did have a sci fi beginning)
Space Balls
Independence Day
Any black and white early 60's sci fi about the world being taken over by giant Ants, praying matisis (mantisi?), giant sea slugs, or trifids.

Oh and don't forget This Island Earth- we can probably order pur Interoceter from Interociter.com

Steve said:
"Them" was another excellent example of the benefits of modern technology.

Yes, "Them"! I saw "Them" on my 10th birthday, scared the poo out of me. The ants made noises just like crickets do. We saw it in August during cricket season and I couldn't sleep for months!

-Skip

Flyboy said:
Tremors

Independence Day

That's the one I was thinking of. I just howled at the idea of a drunken crop duster pilot who can't even spray the right field, flying an FA-18 Hornet. When everyone gets all warm and fuzzie at the end when he flies up the whahzoo of the UFO cracked me up! :goofy:

Frank Browne said:
That's the one I was thinking of. I just howled at the idea of a drunken crop duster pilot who can't even spray the right field, flying an FA-18 Hornet. When everyone gets all warm and fuzzie at the end when he flies up the whahzoo of the UFO cracked me up! :goofy:

Randy Quaid was the pilot. And remember it was all made possible by introducing a virus into the alien space ships computers (as written by Jeff Goldblume of THE FLY and FLY II).

Skip Miller said:
Yes, "Them"! I saw "Them" on my 10th birthday, scared the poo out of me. The ants made noises just like crickets do. We saw it in August during cricket season and I couldn't sleep for months!

-Skip

ROFLMAO!:rofl:

Frank Browne said:

Well to his credit hi was supposed to have flown fighters in 'nam.

The funnier part is, the original ending was supposed to have him flying his biplane with the missle strapped to it and destroying the ship. :rofl:

Greebo said:
The Day After Tomorrow
Greebo said:
- glossed over the real science - didn't laugh at it so much as we did at LA getting leveled by hurricanes.

You didn't laugh at that one? Really? That's the one with like a dozen tornadoes in LA, followed by a tidal wave? I about rolled on the floor with the ship tooling through downtown Manhatten.... then it all froze...... VERY funny stuff!

Loved "Geezers in Space" (Space Cowboys) even bought the DVD. Very unrealisitc though.

Want something obscure? I think it was Alligator (?) with Bridget Fonda. Had Betty White with two classic lines... "I hope you know, I'm rooting for the alligator" or words to that effect, and the funniest, hearing her say.... "I guess this is where if if I had a xxxx, I'd tell you to xxxx it". Hys~terical!

T Bone said:

Want something obscure? I think it was Alligator (?) with Bridget Fonda. Had Betty White with two classic lines... "I hope you know, I'm rooting for the alligator" or words to that effect, and the funniest, hearing her say.... "I guess this is where if if I had a xxxx, I'd tell you to xxxx it". Hys~terical!

Lake Placid. Another campy one.

Day After Tomorrow was incredibly bad science tricked up as cutting edge. At least some of the others weren't pretentious.

Judy

Waterworld. I can't believe I blew $6 as a poor grad student sitting through that load.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
Waterworld. I can't believe I blew $6 as a poor grad student sitting through that load.

I saw that on tv several years back. Not worth the electricity to see it for the most part but I did like the boat to some extent. In one scene it was just floating there with no sails or anything. He pulled one lever and everything went up and he was under full sail in seconds. Goofy but interesting concept...

Original poster mentioned Unobtainium. Well, here ya go:
http://www.unobtainium.com/

fgcason said:
He pulled one lever and everything went up and he was under full sail in seconds.

Pulling a lever is so yesterday! Push a button and in seconds (actually, 120 seconds, LOL) full sail.

fgcason said:
Goofy but interesting concept...

There are four of these luxe motorsailers waiting to take you, your SO, and your money for a ride.

Windstar

-Skip

I flipped past the risible Final Descent last night, and it struck me that the late Robert Urich was channeling (the also late) Dana Andrews, at least when playing an airline pilot.

I can’t think of another actor who moved so gracefully between the realms of Sci-Fi and airplane movies as Andrews, both as a star and generous supporting…um…actor. I think someone should host a Dana Andrews retrospective festival. Consider:

The Frozen Dead

The Pilot

Airport ‘75

Crack in the World

The Satan Bug

The Crowded Sky

Zero Hour!

Wing and a Prayer

BruceAir said:
I can’t think of another actor who moved so gracefully between the realms of Sci-Fi and airplane movies as Andrews, both as a star and generous supporting…um…actor. I think someone should host a Dana Andrews retrospective festival.

He was in one of my all-time favorites...'The Best Years of Our Lives', with Frederic March and Harold Russell.
:yes:

Jaws. My roommate and I were both doing a lot of skin/scuba diving at the time it came out. We laughed so hard at that movie we were almost kicked out of the theater.

Flyboy said:
Well to his credit hi was supposed to have flown fighters in 'nam. The funnier part is, the original ending was supposed to have him flying his biplane with the missle strapped to it and destroying the ship.

The funniest part of the whole movie is the idea that an Apple computer could hook up to the network of the alien ship when, at the time the movie came out, hooking a Mac into a Windows network would have been real science fiction.

Len

Skip Miller said:
Pulling a lever is so yesterday! Push a button and in seconds (actually, 120 seconds, LOL) full sail.

Buss A Undervolt. Buss B Undervolt. Have a nice day bobbing in the abyss forever...
I'm a caveman aviator,sailor,hiker,etc. Give me steel cables, pushrods, turnbuckles and ropes anyday.

Skip Miller said:
There are four of these luxe motorsailers waiting to take you

No there's not.
That's not a sailboat. That's a cruise ship crawling with people. I don't do cruise ships. I'd die of boredom in 20 minutes tops, probably 10. Now a sea kayak with a sail attachment, compass and coastal chart is a whole nother story and I'm not dragging anyone else along to hear them complaining all summer long.

Back