[NA]Microplastics; the latest thing to worry about.

FYI - these magazine covers were about energy embargos and not concerning global temperature averages.
True ... but the media at that time misconstrued it to mean more than that.

Also the Newsweek article from 1975 (Peter Gwynne) was about global cooling. The author has since tried to walk it back but the damage was done ...

True ... but the media at that time misconstrued it to mean more than that.

Also the Newsweek article from 1975 (Peter Gwynne) was about global cooling. The author has since tried to walk it back but the damage was done ...
Ok, but I generally don't find examples of single articles from half a century ago and purport them as evidence that entire scientific disciplines are discredited today.

And I'm not sure that "media at the time" took articles stating that Americans won't have enough energy to heat their homes and extended that to make an argument that means the globe is cooling. I think it's construed that way today as fodder for social media memes.

Last edited:
Ok, but I generally don't find examples of single articles from half a century ago and purport them as evidence that entire scientific disciplines are discredited today.

I remember being a young and impressionable teenager and what I read and heard from the media did bother me at the time. So blame the science or the media for misrepresenting it but it did happen and proves that they don't always get it right.

I am a few days older and a bit wiser now. As much as possible I trust but verify ...

You should’ve been in my 8th grade health class. In 1976. The world was getting colder, and FAST!

I try to believe that the “scientific discipline” isn’t malicious, just wrong. But they’re wrong over, and over, and over again. We should leave them alone until they get their stories straight. And they should have the wisdom not to publish wild conjecture in the lay press.

You should’ve been in my 8th grade health class. In 1976. The world was getting colder, and FAST!

I try to believe that the “scientific discipline” isn’t malicious, just wrong. But they’re wrong over, and over, and over again. We should leave them alone until they get their stories straight. And they should have the wisdom not to publish wild conjecture in the lay press.
Maybe it's your "health" teacher who was suspect, and not the scientific community.

I remember those days, it wasn't just one or two magazine articles, it was a barrage for years and it was absolutely about a new ice age. Scientific studies were cited, along with chicken little by some.

Back