[NA] Looking for a new Cellphone

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
I've been thinking of a new cellphone and have been looking at the Palm Treo 700 from Verizon; my current phone company. They also offer a Samsung i730 and their own branded device.
Anyone want to weigh in on the good or bad so called smart phones; combo cell/PDA device? Not looking to switch companies, but can I use ANY phone with ANY company? I know the Motorola Razr is braindamaged from Verizon. Is it similar with other Verizon devices?

go with the samsung, the palm really isnt very handy to use, the buttons are too small, the screen is only not quite big enough to really be effecien.

i use the verizon audiovox myself but apparently they dont have those anymore,

I use a Treo 650 which I generally like -- I got it mostly so I could get WX graphics. It's also convenient to have the same schedule and address book on both my PC and my phone/Palm.

wesleyj said:
go with the samsung, the palm really isnt very handy to use, the buttons are too small, the screen is only not quite big enough to really be effecien.

i use the verizon audiovox myself but apparently they dont have those anymore,
The Samsung has a sliding keyboard that is just as useless as the Treo's.

The Audiovox was replaced by the 6700, previously made by Audiovox until their whole cell division was sold to UTStarcom.

I have been using the Motorola Razor and with Mobile Phone Tools I and synch the calender in it with my Outlook. Very handy. I also have my contacts in Outlook synch to the phone so the address books are always the same.

silver-eagle said:
I've been thinking of a new cellphone and have been looking at the Palm Treo 700 from Verizon; my current phone company. They also offer a Samsung i730 and their own branded device.
The branded device is the same one I'm using in Sprint's version (PPC6700). I like it. The sliding keyboard is actually something I can use with my larger hands.

silver-eagle said:
Anyone want to weigh in on the good or bad so called smart phones; combo cell/PDA device? Not looking to switch companies, but can I use ANY phone with ANY company? I know the Motorola Razr is braindamaged from Verizon. Is it similar with other Verizon devices?
I like the combo cell/Pocket PC. It's added a lot to my ability to stay organized although I'm currently in an information overload state. ;)

I will NEVER go back to Verizon, though. Their continued practice of disabling key features on phones that could bypass their network is extremely irritating. My Sprint phone has everything operational, including Bluetooth connectivity to my laptop for syncing and broadband access wherever I can pick up an EVDO signal (or reverts down to dialup speeds where it can't). Verizon's Bluetooth "profile" is only useable with headsets per the webpage. I'd be willing to bet they've killed some other things on it as well. They advertise WiFi on it (which mine has, too) but given their history, I'd want to see it in action before believing it.

RotaryWingBob said:
I use a Treo 650 which I generally like -- I got it mostly so I could get WX graphics. It's also convenient to have the same schedule and address book on both my PC and my phone/Palm.
What sites do you visit for WX graphics? I haven't gotten around to trying that with mine yet.

CB software is gone.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
The branded device is the same one I'm using in Sprint's version (PPC6700). I like it. The sliding keyboard is actually something I can use with my larger hands.

FYI I work with a lot of Sprint guys and I have yet to hear one them speak favorably about that particular model. If they say anything good it is that it is an adequate PDA but a lousy phone.

smigaldi said:
FYI I work with a lot of Sprint guys and I have yet to hear one them speak favorably about that particular model. If they say anything good it is that it is an adequate PDA but a lousy phone.
Well, I've only got my experience to rely on here. Aside from sporadic coverage in some areas of AZ (network issues, not phone), I have yet to have any issues with it. I've had to reset it a few times but that's happened with any PDA I've owned. I have no issues with call quality, dialing, receiving calls, or anything even related to the phone itself.

What I HAVE noticed is that most of these guys just don't understand how to drive a PDA phone. Turn off the WiFi unless you're using it. One guy came in when I was buying mine and complained about driving to Texas and picking up every single WiFi hotspot at the truck stops and houses. Apparently the phone kept popping up with a "join" invitation. The Sprint sales guy took it back as "defective". It took me 20 seconds to figure out how to turn off the WiFi signal off the front panel.

I used to get the 'cool' phones until my money got spent on annual inspections.

I've got a cheapo verizon flip phone. Some LG4700 thing. Best phone I've had so far.

silver-eagle said:
I know the Motorola Razr is braindamaged from Verizon. Is it similar with other Verizon devices?

Anything with Bluetooth is brain damaged from Verizon. It's why I recently switched to Cingular.

Brian Austin said:
I will NEVER go back to Verizon, though. Their continued practice of disabling key features on phones that could bypass their network is extremely irritating.

Bingo. However, if they change that particular policy, I'll go back when my contract is up. Cingular isn't bad, but Verizon's network is better in rural areas and their customer service is top-notch. Cingular has average-to-good customer service, and Sprint's customer service (or rather, the complete utter lack thereof) is the reason I'll never go back there.

flyingcheesehead said:
Bingo. However, if they change that particular policy, I'll go back when my contract is up. Cingular isn't bad, but Verizon's network is better in rural areas and their customer service is top-notch. Cingular has average-to-good customer service, and Sprint's customer service (or rather, the complete utter lack thereof) is the reason I'll never go back there.
Customer service experiences are subjective. I've never had any issues with Sprint and simply call my local rep when I need something done or changed.

Verizon, on the other hand, continues to send bills to my recently deceased father (January), despite having been sent an affidavit, a death certificate, and receiving numerous phonecalls regarding bills for a phone he hadn't used in almost a year yet still paid the bill until his death. His contract had long since expired and was on a month-to-month. Yet, each time we call, we have to tell the whole story all over again. I've given up with them.

Brian Austin said:
Customer service experiences are subjective. I've never had any issues with Sprint and simply call my local rep when I need something done or changed.

Verizon, on the other hand, continues to send bills to my recently deceased father (January), despite having been sent an affidavit, a death certificate, and receiving numerous phonecalls regarding bills for a phone he hadn't used in almost a year yet still paid the bill until his death. His contract had long since expired and was on a month-to-month. Yet, each time we call, we have to tell the whole story all over again. I've given up with them.

Local TV station recently did a "Troubleshooters" article on Cingular for doing the same thing.....

Well john i went from Nextel to Verizon and got the VX6700 it's window based and works well so far.It has a sliding face plate to uncover a nice sized Qwerty keyboard.also has a memory slot that will take MiniSD cards i think up to 2 Gig but not sure about that i have a 1 Gig card in mine now.it also is Bluethoot and WiFi capable. Check it out . Dave G.

mikea said:
What sites do you visit for WX graphics? I haven't gotten around to trying that with mine yet.

CB software is gone.
I use Pilot MyCast -- you get radar loops, most of the text products, lightning strikes etc.

Brian Austin said:

Local reps are good. :yes:

My experience with Sprint was not just bad customer service, but broken promises from the (national call center) sales people.

Verizon, on the other hand, continues to

The trick with Verizon is... They can't hang up until your problem is fixed. The first person you talk to has to stick with you until the end. If they have to bring others in as well, it's on conference rather than transferring you. That eliminates the pawn-it-off-on-the-other-guy that's seen in customer service so much these days. Of course, when you have to wait until the end of the month to see if you get a bill... :dunno:

Re: Wx

Mike Schneider said:
Not Bob, but you may want to try www.srh.noaa.gov/wml (that will only work on cell phones). When on that site plug in KTLH for Tallahassee, KFFC for Atlanta.... There is a long list of NEXRAD (radar) sites. -- Mike

Cool. It works on my Windows Mobile phone. Opera works better than IE because Opera can zoom the image.

I was going to ask how would knwo the ID of the Radar site but I noticed you can go by region and it tells you on the screen.

Thanks, Mike!

RotaryWingBob said:
I use Pilot MyCast -- you get radar loops, most of the text products, lightning strikes etc.

I got a demo of that at AOPA Expo. It's nice but it's an extra $10 a month and I don't wanna pay another subscription fee for anything, especially for weather products that I won't use often.

Maybe I'll trial it once I'm flying more this season.

AirBaker said:
I used to get the 'cool' phones until my money got spent on annual inspections.

I've got a cheapo verizon flip phone. Some LG4700 thing. Best phone I've had so far.

I've got an LG VX4400. had it for about 3 1/2 years. Upgraded to a Motorola about a year ago, but it didn't have all the features that the LG had. The address book on the Motorola only had spots for phone and email. I like having the snail mail addresses in there, too. Motorola voice dial was clumsy and took two or three buttons. LG, push a button say the name/number. I have no use for a camera, MP3 player or any of that garbage. Used the Motorola for about three weeks, then went back to my old LG.

I'm not happy with Verizon's policy on killing all the 'extras' that come with the phone. Perhaps when they end that policy I may get a new bluetooth capable phone that has the goodies that I want. Until then, I'll use my old LG until it dies. Then I'll try to reactivate my analog Nokia.

Back