[NA] Linux email server suggestions

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Looking for suggestions for which email server to use on a Linode instance running Debian 7. I currently have EXIM set up to send emails out from the localhost, but I need to be able to receive email on the server as well. Should be pretty low volume email handling. Will need host 5-10 addresses per domain and only 2-3 domains. Will need to be able to push email to phones. Web interface is a big bonus so the users can send 'wordy' emails from PC.

I have read that dealing with email servers is a royal PITA, but I got the Linode instance for the sake of tinkering, so tinkering I shall do...

Any suggestions?

Start with Zimbra, and see if it'll do what you want.

I'd say the majority of professionals are using postfix with lots of spam scanning add-ons as their heavy-hitter MTA of choice. There are still sendmail die-hards and it works, but postfix came out of some needs that sendmail wasn't providing in the 90s. They eventually caught up and realized they were getting eaten alive. So both work. Once you learn one you'll tend to be a fan so whatever.

For user access to mail, I'm partial to dovecot these days.

I recommend starting directly with Maildir storage format and bypassing the stupidity and poor design of mbox files.

By the way, dovecot supports its own proprietary on-disk format called dbox. Here's why I don't recommend it for servers that don't need it: It's non-standard. Let 's say a huge critical emergency security warning is issued for dovecot without an available patch right away. (Rare, but we are talking about why to use standards here.) You can uninstall and replace dovecot in about 15 minutes to something else that understands Maildir format. That's my take on it. Everything understands Maildir format these days.

As someone who's run high-volume e-mail servers for a couple of decades, I'll warn you that once spammers "find" the domain, in an increasingly hostile Internet environment, you'll spend far more time messing with the spam fighting software and tweaking it for your users than the MTA or the Delivery mechanisms. They'll generally just run.

I got tired of it and let other professionals get paid to waste their days of their lives on it for dollars. You can automate a lot of it, implement nice things like optional TLS encryption and authentication/identification of remote mail servers, teergrubing the idiots attempting to kill the server with bulk spam and drive your bandwidth costs up, flat out firewalling Asian and other foreign IP space if none of your users expect any mail from overseas servers (a constant source of attack), etc... And spam will still get through.

Think long and hard if you want an unpaid e-mail admin job for either just yourself or a group of users who WILL whine during times when you want to do other things that are more interesting.

I ran my personal mail servers with free accounts for family and friends for a decade or so until GMail was widely available and made e-mail a free commodity. Then I politely told users they had six months to find another "provider". At that point I tracked that I was spending an hour or two a week messing with fighting spammers even with a well-configured mail server running piles of anti-spam and anti-virus add-ons that had been built up over that decade. I realized I wanted my 104 hours a year back.

I moved to paid service with fastmail.fm who at the time was well known for doing one thing, and one thing only. E-mail. Their developers were deeply involved in the bug fixes and extension of the IMAP server they were using as well as being in the forefront of anti-spam and extremely high volume MTA work on redundant distributed mail platforms. They were later bought by Opera, the browser folks and I lost touch with their work as I had migrated to Apple's MobileMe platform.

One note on IMAP. Use it. POP3 is stupid in the multi-device world. Server stores the mail and all devices "see" the current state no matter which device is manipulating, deleting, sending, whatever. When I moved these mailboxes I simply used a popular IMAP client (Thunderbird) to copy a decade worth of saved mail from one server to another. Drag and drop and come back a day later. Nearly flawless and I can full text search over ten years of saved mail for things I know are I'm there but can't find.

Anyway there's some "old-skool mail dude" notes. Probably easier to pay someone a pittance and let them deal with the headaches unless you have a dire need to run your own mail server.

Whatever you do, learn how not to build open-relays and back scatter spam launching points or you'll raise the ire of other mail server admins who'll just report ya into the various DNS-based real-time spam blocking " databases" and then good luck getting off of them.

Most distros ship with a local-only MTA config nowadays for a reason, too many folks clueless about mail servers and allowing their machines to be attack vectors for everyone else in the swimming/cesspool of Internet e-mail.

by the way, dovecot supports its own proprietary on-disk format called dbox. Here's why I don't recommend it for servers that don't need it: It's non-standard. Let 's say a huge critical emergency security warning is issued for dovecot without an available patch right away. (Rare, but we are talking about why to use standards here.) You can uninstall and replace dovecot in about 15 minutes to something else that understands Maildir format. That's my take on it. Everything understands Maildir format these days

We are in the process of migrating all our mail storage back ends from Maildir to Dovecots mdbox and the IO gains have been hugeeee for us. You also gain some additional features in Dovecot 2 on mdbox.

By the way, the Zimbra recommendation is fine, but it's a lot more than just a mail server. Calendar, VoIP, yadda yadda. There's also free (community only support) and paid ( professional subscription support ) versions.

It may or may not be complete overkill for what you're attempting to accomplish. But it isn't a bad option.

We are in the process of migrating all our mail storage back ends from Maildir to Dovecots mdbox and the IO gains have been hugeeee for us. You also gain some additional features in Dovecot 2 on mdbox.

Can't blame ya in a large environment. Like I said, "If you need it." Maildir isn't particularly designed for speed. It's just "standard".

You already know the retarded MTA I'm stuck with (apparently until it blows up and comes crashing down in flames and someone loses their job over their stubbornness) and hate.

(For those curious it's DBMail and the problem is simple. One should never put unstructured days into an RDBMS. It's utterly stupid. There was ONE requirement that pushed that crap into our shop years ago, and there's no need for that requirement anymore and far better ways to do it now. Probably were back then, too. Two of three Engineers say thumbs-down to it, and yet it remains in service, with the MySQL back end locking solid at least quarterly if not sometimes monthly.)

The hardest part will someday migrating all the stored mail out of the thing into something sane. That's assuming the mail survives the inevitable crash and burn and the backups are really working. I stay the hell out of it. No one driving the design bus. Even the Systems Architect has washed his hands of the insanity and says "call me when if blows up, I already told you to remove it."

I also like Dovecot. I switched to it a while ago solely because some of my users wanted the BB FastMail support (so that tells you it's been a while...), but I stayed with it because it's just a good, fast, stable mail sever with a really small appetite.

-Rich

Back