NA Lenovo Thinkpad random shutdown NA

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
3yr old Z60M

Esp. when watching videos - there is a warning of impending "standby" & the screen will go blank and audio stops.

You can close the laptop and reopen it, then all is well again for 5mins.

Tried it just now. Started 5 youtube videos at once and it failed as described pretty quickly.

Fan can be heard but not excessively so.

Heat problem?
one that can be easily corrected or new hardware?

Or is it time to start shopping?

Thanks.

What does power status (see system tray, bottom left) show? Sounds almost like it is thinking near-dead battery, and doing a low-power suspend...

Heat problem. We have the same issue on our Lenovo Thinkpads at work. You need to pull the bottom of the case off and clean out the heat sinks, and possibly replace a fan.

hmmm I am not convinced now, have a look at this.
when all programs are closed on the desktop and when all applications are off (ctrl alt del), the cpu usage is bouncing around 100%! I have included the processes if that helps.
Mine is occupied with stuff and shows 2%.

Attachments

• Processes.JPG
    Processes.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I turned off the wireless switch as a test and the cpu usage was still ~100%. Am I right to think it is not a spambot or similar, with this test?

What does power status (see system tray, bottom left) show? Sounds almost like it is thinking near-dead battery, and doing a low-power suspend...

will ck tomorrow.
vigorous, sustained jiggling the screen/lid did not cause it to go into standby, btw.

Go to the other tab in the Task Manager that shows all running processes, make sure "show tasks from all users" is checked, and sort the column that has CPU. Whatever's "stuck" in a loop eating 100% CPU will be at the top of the list.

Looks like Apple's stuff; wonder if your monkeying around with the syncing of the multiple iThings has created some sort of infinite loop?

Go to the other tab in the Task Manager that shows all running processes, make sure "show tasks from all users" is checked, and sort the column that has CPU. Whatever's "stuck" in a loop eating 100% CPU will be at the top of the list.

pics attached. (later today)

Spike I don't think its the synching causing this because its been going on for months.
Tks

In the picture you posted, SyncServer is chewing 66% of the processing capacity. That's too high, IMHO...

Today, after a restart and update install it is a bit better.
Have a look.
Should I defrag or run a scan or uninstall some of these programs?

Attachments

• CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Processes.JPG
    Processes.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 9
Today, after a restart and update install it is a bit better.
Have a look.
Should I defrag or run a scan or uninstall some of these programs?
In that screen shot - Windows Defender is consuming nearly all of your CPU.

In that screen shot - Windows Defender is consuming nearly all of your CPU.

I shall immediately crush the life out of it.
Think the CPU use is high, given that the desktop only has one program open and in use?

Where it says "MsMpEng.exe" 94

that means the process MsMpEng.exe is consuming 94% of your CPU

MsMpEng.exe = Windows Defender.

Have removed Windows Defender (and a bunch of other antispyware programs plus other unused things) but MsMpEng.exe is still present and accounted for (although consuming a lot less cpu time). Replaced with MS Security Essentials.

(removal confirmed on the Add/Rem programs page.)

I changed all the power settings so that it would never shut down, standby or hibernate. I thought this fixed it because it was on all last night, screen lit up for 12 hours while I did a full MSE scan and a Disk Cleanup.
Then this am a reboot, and it has been going into standby regularily. You can press the power button and bring it right back but every now and then depending on use, it will shut off.

I think I will do a harddrive swipe and reinstall everything before buying a new computer.

I turned off the wireless switch as a test and the cpu usage was still ~100%. Am I right to think it is not a spambot or similar, with this test?

I've had this problem with the work PC. It's due to somethign munged in the Windows update. I was blaming McAfeebut there is a lof of chatter about netsvcs pinning the CPU, sometimes with nVidea video drivers.

Do a system restore to a date back when it was working OK....and you may have to turn off automatic updates.

I managed to get mine usable again with reapeated trips through System Restore - maybe temporarily - no thanks to our fine, fine, fine outsourced offshore support.

Thanks, just shipped it off to a local laptop repairdude, will advise any findings.
I did install a temp monitor program and it was showing 75-90C with minimal use.

As mentioned above, it could be a heat problem. Have you tried cleaning the heat sink? That happened to me as well and when I brought it to the retailer, they just told me it's the heat sink.

The lenovo appears well again. The local dude did clean it, and also 'fixed some software things that made it run all the time'. Very inexpensively. Saved me hours of aggravation.

Back