NA Large file transfers

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So I need to occasionally move up to 20mb files, 2-10 of them to a recipient.
We tried emailing individual files but that was not working (despite an ok upload speed) (and despite yahoo's posted limit of 25mb max).

I know there are ways to send them to a third party's server and then the recipient gets notification, and can then go to that server and retrieve the files. This is a long-accepted way of doing it.

What I do not get is why I can send files my computer->my server->storage server->recip's server->recipient's computer
but:
I cannot send files my computer->my server->recip's server->recip's computer.

What is the big difference?? The latter method cuts out the middleman and should be easier, faster!

Right. I wasn't really asking of ways to share large files though.

It was about why one method, which on paper looks more direct, and is effectively is doing the same thing, does not work.

Yeah, it feels like there should be a (good) way to make the file share process seamless. That way, there aren't multiple copies of your file stored across the world's email servers. But the spec, as it stands, doesn't do well with large files, unfortunately.

Use AOLs instant messenger program (AIM). It is direct peer to peer and will transfer unlimited size files from one to the other, without going through anyone's server. Other messenger programs may also allow this but I only know about AIM.

You can also set up an FTP server on your friend's hard drive on his computer, or a NAS on his network, etc.) and you can access it using Windows Explorer on your computer. You can create a network location in Windows Explorer and treat it just like it was your local drive. Then, you can drag and drop files to it and it will upload the file to your friends site. The network location in your Windows Explorer would look something like this:

ftp://LoginName:LoginPassword@YourFriendsFTPsite.com

I read his posts to be saying that he understands how to get around the limitation, but was wondering why the limitation exists in the first place.

I read his posts to be saying that he understands how to get around the limitation, but was wondering why the limitation exists in the first place.

Same here.

To satisfy more of your curiosity David, remember that file attachments weren't even part of the original email specifications. They're a "bolt-on".

In the real early days, people with small hard drives on their mail servers would get seriously ****ed off if you uuencoded a big file and sent it to someone via their mail server. They'd yell at you and tell you to use a proper file transfer protocol.

Right. I wasn't really asking of ways to share large files though.

It was about why one method, which on paper looks more direct, and is effectively is doing the same thing, does not work.
Can you explain how the one method does not work? Either method works, if you set it up.

Can you explain how the one method does not work? Either method works, if you set it up.
Sure.
I need to occasionally move up to 20mb files, 2-10 of them to a recipient.
We tried emailing individual files but that was not working (despite an ok upload speed) (and despite yahoo's posted limit of 25mb max).

Sure.
I need to occasionally move up to 20mb files, 2-10 of them to a recipient.

Gmail?

Recip's mail is choking, too. They wont change mail providers.

Interestingly, I have learned the raw file is not readable by recipient if we send via a non-oem large file storage system. The co whose software produces the files (they are dicom images) won't let them go unencrypted unless they pass through their server (which costs almost 1000$ for us to use)
However we can send jpgs but the are lossy.

Recip's mail is choking, too. They wont change mail providers.

Interestingly, I have learned the raw file is not readable by recipient if we send via a non-oem large file storage system. The co whose software produces the files (they are dicom images) won't let them go unencrypted unless they pass through their server (which costs almost 1000$ for us to use)
However we can send jpgs but the are lossy.

Interesting. I wonder if there's a way to work around that. How often are they asking you to pay $1000? Often enough that it'd be worth me spending some time figuring out if a replacement process can be built?

Did you ever move to Office 365? If so, you would have OneDrive for Business which has the capability:
TIP: When you send email from Outlook Web App, you can attach a OneDrive for Business file as a link, instead of sending an attachment. When you Attach a file as a link, you automatically give the people you send the message to permission to edit the file. Plus, you save space in everyone's mailbox and encourage people to edit the same copy in OneDrive for Business.
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...Business-187f90af-056f-47c0-9656-cc0ddca7fdc2

Never found a work around either.

We use https://www.hightail.com for all our larger business file to and from clients. They used to be YouSendIt.com

One reason why the limit exists is that most email applications are set to auto download the attachments. If you are on cell service you can suck up a lot a data downloading mega files...or if you are in a limited bandwidth location, it will bog down your system trying to download it.

Last edited:
Well, since this is "Technical Corner" technically, 20 millibyte files shouldn't be any problem at all. 20 Mb (20 Megabyte) files are another matter. Just picking the flyspecks out of the pepper.

Jim
And since you started this nitpicking, technically 20 megabit is not a problem either since it can be usually stored in 2.5MB (megabyte) which fits on 2 floppies or can be easily attached to an email. :)
Glad you pointed out the wrong unit. I hate it when people are too lazy to type the unit correctly. There is no milli hz, it doesn't even exist. There is no gram-bit (gb) unit either. Well, maybe in "heavy math" computations. :D
So people, use proper capitalization, please. Don't make my CDO worse. (CDO? It is just like OCD ... except the letters are in the CORRECT order :) )

Back