[NA]Laptops, ram, drives[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Buying a laptop.
Seems to me that I was told last time to not pay for ram; get the smallest ram; then purchase 16 or 32gb and pop that in (looks like that is the right amount for my purposes).
However, to pop in that much ram I believe I had to look for a spec that allowed two places for ram to be popped in and I cannot remember what the name or code was for that. SDRAM or some darn thing?

Also same thing for the HD; it was cheaper to buy a de minimus HDD then purchase and install a 1TB SSD (again, that is a great size for my purposes).

I find it best / easiest to buy it like I want it; similar to planes. Now, I've upgraded them at times versus buying a new one. My current laptop I switched from HD to SDD, but that was a few years after purchasing and the price of SDDs had dropped a lot.

On a prior laptop I have added memory, but that was more a shift in apps needing more memory, so I added it.

Wayne

Hoping this can be pulled, and replaced with a 1TB SSD:

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC SED SSD

Buying a laptop.
Seems to me that I was told last time to not pay for ram; get the smallest ram; then purchase 16 or 32gb and pop that in (looks like that is the right amount for my purposes).
However, to pop in that much ram I believe I had to look for a spec that allowed two places for ram to be popped in and I cannot remember what the name or code was for that. SDRAM or some darn thing?

Also same thing for the HD; it was cheaper to buy a de minimus HDD then purchase and install a 1TB SSD (again, that is a great size for my purposes).

Yeah, I do this for windows laptops. Apple has decided everything must be soldered on, so no post-purchase upgrades anymore.

Two SO-DIMM slots is what you want for the RAM. An M.2 slot for the storage is pretty standard these days. Some laptops (LG Gram is one) have 2 M.2 slots for storage.

Great; thanks.
Ordered a Lenovo and compatible memory/SSD upgrades.
So ready to be out of DellHell.

Hoping this can be pulled, and replaced with a 1TB SSD:

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC SED SSD
The straight SSD will be a lot slower than the NVME. You can get 1TB NVMe for a reasonable price. As long as the new NVMe form factor matches the old one, you'll be in great shape. My MB has two NVMe PCIe slots, but one is buried under the graphics card. I use it for level 2 cache for my 2 TB SSD. Level 1 cache is otherwise unused SDRAM.

My theory is that if you are buying a laptop with minimal memory and a small hard disk, you are buying a laptop that the manufacturer is aiming at people that don't want to spend money on quality. You are probably also getting a cheap power supply, cheap keyboard, cheap circuit boards, cheap fans etc. Of course, there are always exceptions.

I agree with @wayne
Buy it the way you want it and don't let price be your sole guide. (I don't mean that to sound critical).

Back