[NA]Laptop keyboard misbehaves[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Suddenly, today, my Dell Latitude E6330 keyboard is producing characters unrelated to the keys being pressed.
This happens in multiple programs, not just one.

When I type the three rows of letters on the keyboard, it produces this:

qwertyuipoip
asdfghjk;l;k
zxcvbnm,\./

Sometimes it produces two unrelated characters when one key is pressed.
ie pressing the shift key results in this {} or sometimes this []

I have tried the internet suggestion of checking the language installed, of pressing Func + F2, and I do not have a numlock key to try.
I have rebooted it 2x now.

It looks like some of the keys on the far left might be stuck and inserting themselves? Did you spill anything on it? Try plugging in an external USB keyboard and see if it behaves the same.

I meant far right, p;\. You don't have a desktop you could borrow a keyboard from to try it?

My laptop types the strangest stuff too and then I get banned for it but I think if the PoA mods knew it was my keyboard and not really me maybe they'd understand. Bigboobs. See I tried to type 'ice cream' there, maybe it's a Microsoft glitch.

My laptop types the strangest stuff too and then I get banned for it but I think if the PoA mods knew it was my keyboard and not really me maybe they'd understand. Bigboobs. See I tried to type 'ice cream' there, maybe it's a Microsoft glitch.

@mscard is alive and well. :biggrin: :devil:

One some dell keyboards they have a blue fn key that if you press it, it keeps it in fn mode. So it may be in "FN" mode. Just press the blue FN key to see if that fixes the issue.

You can also use the blue fn key to turn on keyboard modes. Look for the blue fn key, look for alternate keyboard mode, like num lock or alternate key with blue letters and then press fn and then that key to see if it turns off a light on the keyboard and returns you to normal typing.

Alternatively, some applications, like word, can let you replace certain words with other words (like an autotype function) and it may be that issue.

Is returning to a previous restore point likely to help?
It depends what the issue is. You need to eliminate a possible hardware issue. You can do that by plugging in an external USB keyboard and testing that. If the external keyboard has the issue as well, then yes, try a restore point. If the external keyboard does not have the issue, you may need to replace the keyboard (they are available).

I plugged a usb keyboard in and it works fine. It must be the laptop keyboard or connections. I will look into replacing the laptop keyboard. Or the laptop - it is four plus years old. Thank you.

Is returning to a previous restore point likely to help?
Only if that is where the problem started.

Justin had a good suggestion: check the fn key. I used to have a couple of systems that did something similar and the fix was a combo key stroke. I forget exactly, but it was something like "ctrl-fn" or "alt-fn" to reset it.

Try this, when you are typing something, look at each key you press and see what shows up on the display. Double check the key to make sure there are no little (alternate) characters on the key.

I plugged a usb keyboard in and it works fine. It must be the laptop keyboard or connections. I will look into replacing the laptop keyboard. Or the laptop - it is four plus years old. Thank you.
If you are handy, the keyboards are available on eBay. If not, it might not be worth the cost of repair and getting a new laptop is an option. You could turn this one basically into a desktop for other uses, by plugging in an external keyboard and possibly a monitor.

Replacement is usually pretty straightforward. If you otherwise like the laptop it's probably worth it if you do it yourself.

Rich

Here is what I am getting.
All lower case

Entire top row: a bunch of numbers are missing ie one to four, then seven to zero
`56 -

Second row all good
qwertyuiop[]\

Third row all good
asdfghjkl;

Last row all good
zxcvbnm,./

This is different than last week. Last week I would press a p for example and get a semicolon and a squiggly bracket.

Still thinking keyboard or connection? remember, the usb keyboard worked ok.
Hate to buy one if it is software.

Here is what I am getting.
All lower case

Entire top row: a bunch of numbers are missing ie one to four, then seven to zero
`56 -

Second row all good
qwertyuiop[]\

Third row all good
asdfghjkl;

Last row all good
zxcvbnm,./

This is different than last week. Last week I would press a p for example and get a semicolon and a squiggly bracket.

Still thinking keyboard or connection? remember, the usb keyboard worked ok.
Hate to buy one if it is software.
Since the external keyboard is fine, I doubt it is a software issue. It looks like you can get a keyboard for $12.99 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-La...338536?hash=item2edf268268:g:vC4AAOSwnDxUc~VC

Edit: Here is a video on how to swap it:

ha, Im ahead of you, saw the install videos - thanks.
I will be needing a backlit one to replace mine - I do a lot at night.

Interestingly, when I press some keys I can tell the puter registers the button press but it does nothing about the press.

What I mean is, when I press CTRL-two to open the mail page, it does not open the page but I see the -what I call "Disappearing Concentric Ring" briefly as I normally do.

We'll see what the new cable and keyboard has to say about that.

PS...SOMEone has been using my laptop both as a dinner plate and to brush their cat with!

You wouldn't believe the stuff we've sometimes found in returned company laptops. I've even told bosses I refused to touch some of them.

When I worked for the work at home call center place they had a team of techs who cleaned up returned company tower computers and mini computers. They said it wasn't uncommon for a few a month to come back infested with cockroaches. They even had fumigation procedures for them.

People are disgusting. Way more than cat hair and dinner in those keyboards.

Just don't take a blacklight to the keyboard or mouse and you'll be fine :)

Back