[NA] iTouch Question

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
I'll be the first to say I don't know squat about iTouch's. My kids each got one for Christmas though, and I'm impressed with the stuff it will do. These are 2nd generation units, and do not come with Bluetooth® enabled. You can, however upgrade the operating system to the generation 3 setup, which enables same. (for $4.95) I did that this past weekend and was successful (sorry Elizabeth). Now, in settings, there is a Bluetooth® MAC address and the option to turn on Bluetooth®. Doing so causes it to start searching for other devices, as I expected. They never see each other though. If I turn Bluetooth® on on my phone, it discovers them both, though doesn't know what to do with them. They are just "Unknown Audio Devices". That does mean they are transmitting though. My goal was for them to be able to play games against each other without the need for WiFi, like at the pool between heats at a meet.
Am I wrong in thinking that this is possible, and that the Bluetooth® is only for wireless headsets and such? Any help or insight is much appreciafied.
Signed,
Confused Dad.....

Hello keith. First of all, you got luck that you got your hands on a discounted V3.0 software update. The eager ones (first people to get the update) paid a whole $15.00! :/​

Anyway, the iPod touch is indeed Bluetooth enabled, but the feature is currently rather sketchy and according to the apple blog they are working to increase the functionality of the feature.

As you probably know, there are "requirements" that you must meet in order to get it working if you're jailbroken:

1. You must have another iPod device (duh).-NOTE- if you're ipod is jailbroken, many games wont allow you to connect to it VIA bluetooth unless it is jailbroken aswell.
  2. If you're jailbroken, you must have at LEAST >12% of battery life remaining in order to connect so that you save enough time for the proper shut down compiling sequence to make sure the jailbreak files aren't lost and your ipod doesn't get erased
  3. Both iPod devices must have 3.0+ software, even if jailbroken

A full list of BT games can be found here.

If you need help, send me a message on here of email me HERE

P.S. if your jailbroken with ROCK then email me for a link to the code to enable bluetooth

Thanks for the reply. These are definitely NOT jailbroken.
I'm just wondering if I'm missing something on the recognizing each other. Do I need to have a BT game going in order to have them "see" each other? The $4.95 download was directly from the iTunes store. I definitely want to keep these things on the up-and-up as they belong to my kids (9 and 11) and screwing them up would bring down a world of grief on my head. :yikes:

BT functionality is currently pretty much limited to audio functionality (phone or stereo.) They are considering changes but nothing yet. Otherwise as Jesse says you have to jailbreak them.

Back