[NA] Is this true? [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
You can live in Phoenix, (or Tucson) Arizona where.....
1.You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade. :)
2. You can open and drive your car without touching the car door or the steering wheel.
3. You've experienced condensation on your rear from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
4. You would give anything to be able to splash cold water on your face.
5. You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.
6.. "Dress Code" is meaningless at high schools and universities.
7. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.
8. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.
9. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!
10. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.

You can Live in California where...
1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.
2 The high school quarterback calls a time-out to answer his cell phone .
3. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
4. You know how to eat an artichoke.
5. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.
6. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.

You can Live in New York City where...
1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.
2... You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.
3. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.
4 You think Central Park is "nature,"
5. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multilingual.
6.. You've worn out a car horn.
7. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.

You can Live in Maine where...
1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.
2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.
3. You have more than one recipe for moose.
4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.
5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction.

You can Live in the Deep South where...
1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.
2."y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural.
3. After five years you still hear, "You ain't from ' round here, are Ya?"
4. "He needed killin' " is a valid defense.
5. Everyone has 2 first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Sue, Betty Jean, MARY BETH, etc.

You can live in Colorado where...
1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.
2... You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home and he stops at the day care center.
3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.
4... The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.

You can live in the Midwest where...
1. You've never meet any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.
2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor.
3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.
4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at?"
5. When asked how your trip was to any exotic place, you say, "It was different!"

AND You can live in Florida where...
1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.
2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.
3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.
4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.
5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people

Let'sgoflying! said:
You can Live in New York City where...
1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.

Even living in Poughkeepsie (90mi north of NYC). "What are you doing this weekend?" "Going to the city" "Taking the railroad?" etc.

You can Live in the Deep South where...
5. Everyone has 2 first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Sue, Betty Jean, MARY BETH, etc

Or, you find out your first name actually has two syllables.

Examples:

Bill => Bee-ill.
Jim => Gee-im.
Pam => Pay-am

Let'sgoflying! said:
You can live in Colorado where...
1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.

Are you trying to tell me that all those shiny new huge assault vehicles on the roads around here are ONLY $500 a pop?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Let'sgoflying! said:
4... The top of your head is bald

That's because the landlord scalped you as payment for the additional rent increase.

Let'sgoflying! said:
1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.
2 The high school quarterback calls a time-out to answer his cell phone .
3. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
5. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.
6. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.
1) We have a house, but I doubt we could afford it if we had to buy it now.
2) I went to SDSU for my masters a few years ago. I began to wonder if people in their twenties all had a cell phone permanently installed on their ear.
3) Luckily I don't need the freeways to get to work. But to go to the airport after work - yep.
4) Yep.
5) I'm not a Mercedes kind of guy.
6) Yep.

jkaduk said:
2) I went to SDSU for my masters a few years ago. I began to wonder if people in their twenties all had a cell phone permanently installed on their ear.
3) Luckily I don't need the freeways to get to work. But to go to the airport after work - yep.
4) Yep.
6) Yep.
C'mon, everyone knows we in CA all drive Porches past palm trees and live next to movie stars.

SDSU, huh? I had a professor tell me if I transferred there my head would swivel off my neck in the first week because of the scanty attire of the female half of the student population.

As I was out and about today some young broad (yes, that is the proper term for someone acting so stupidly) was holding up an entire busy intersection as she tried to make a U-turn with one hand. I guess it never occurred to her to put down the phone while she made the turn. It took so long her light had turned red a long time before she got through the turn.

Let'sgoflying! said:
You can live in Phoenix, (or Tucson) Arizona where.....
1.You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade. :)
2. You can open and drive your car without touching the car door or the steering wheel.
3. You've experienced condensation on your rear from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
4. You would give anything to be able to splash cold water on your face.
5. You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.
6.. "Dress Code" is meaningless at high schools and universities.
7. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.
8. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.
9. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!
10. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.

Its funny - I live in Albuquerque, but a lot of that fits us too:

1) Even at gas stations, I've been known to park on the side of the building where the trash dumpster is and it smells, just to avoid having sun heat up my car.

2) Anything shiny or black gets so hot that I HAVE actually burned my hand to a blister.

3) LOL!

4) Outside for more than 3 or 4 hours without a break for water, the body stops generating sweat (it seems), and cold water is the only thing to help cool down.

5) Here you gotta add "Bolo Tie" for formal.

6) LOL.

7) Did it today. Drove down to the Pit (where the Lobos Play) to get tickets. Spent about 3 hours just getting there, and traffic wasn't that bad.

8) 101. Heh. All involve green or red chile. And unlike Californians, we don't call it "green sauce."

9) Agreed - with one more season: "WTH! Isn't this New Mexico? Why's it so cold?"

10) True. And everyone else experiences "wet heat - like a nice bath"

Let'sgoflying! said:
AND You can live in Florida where...
1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.
2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.
3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.
4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.
5. Cars in front of you are often driven by headless people

This is absolutely true :yes:
South Florida anyway. The northernmost parts of Florida are actually south Georgia. :)

Let'sgoflying! said:

Heck, I'm from WI and I know how to eat an artichoke. I can't stand the hearts though... I just like the leaves with garlic butter thing.

You can live in the Midwest where...
1. You've never meet any celebrities, but the mayor knows your name.

'fraid not.

2. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor.

Hehe... I've seen that more than a few times.

3. You have had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" on the same day.

Most certainly! Usually happens for a couple of weeks in the spring. Day-to-day changes are extreme too - Like 90 degrees on Friday, blizzard on Sunday. Yikes.

4. You end sentences with a preposition: "Where's my coat at?"

Guilty. Sometimes.

5. When asked how your trip was to any exotic place, you say, "It was different!"

Don't know if I've ever used that one, but I'm sure I've heard it.

jkaduk said:
4) Yep.
6) Yep.

I did 3 years in OB and was the last one out of the anchorage off of Shelter Island.

Richard said:
SDSU, huh? I had a professor tell me if I transferred there my head would swivel off my neck in the first week because of the scanty attire of the female half of the student population.
SDSU is a very bad place for an old married dude.

Henning said:
I did 3 years in OB and was the last one out of the anchorage off of Shelter Island.
When they say CA is the land of fruits and nuts, they're taking about OB, and Venice.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
You can Live in Maine where...
1. You only have four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.
2. Halloween costumes fit over parkas.
3. You have more than one recipe for moose.
4. Sexy lingerie is anything flannel with less than eight buttons.
5. The four seasons are: winter, still winter, almost winter, and construction.

1) Yup, although most people don't even use Tabasco. Great fish, great taters, no spice at all!
2) Or fishing slicks!
3) Not so much anymore, but any diehard downeaster should know what Annadama means and what you use Bakewell Cream for
4) Sadly, in some months, this is true...
5) The 5th season: Get the F'N tourists out of here!

Cheers,

-Andrew
family in Maine since 1692

jkaduk said:
When they say CA is the land of fruits and nuts, they're taking about OB, and Venice.

Hey, I liked living in OB, I was even made an honorary OBecian:D .

BTW, SF has more than it's share of the afore mentioned fruits and nuts as well. I also rate it as one of the cities in the world with the fewest per capita good looking women but highest per capita good looking she-males. That living experience gave me a great advantage over my girlfriend last summer in Antwerp and Amsterdam red light districts when we would play "Spot the Package".

Henning said:

When were you there Henning? When Iwas stationed at Point Loma Sub Base (at the very end of Rosecrans)
I had a house in Ocean Beach, lived on Bacon st. ('78-83) Boy those were the days!! When we were not at sea spent many afternoons on Sunset Cliffs sipping wine and watching the sun set. Wish I had Pics, but they were victim to a house fire 4 years ago.

As for New York, if you ask someone how far it is from point A to point B, you're likely to get the amount of time it will take, instead. I've never completely lost that habit.

"How far is it to Central Park?" "About 30 minutes".

cherokeeflyboy said:
When were you there Henning? When Iwas stationed at Point Loma Sub Base (at the very end of Rosecrans)
I had a house in Ocean Beach, lived on Bacon st. ('78-83) Boy those were the days!! When we were not at sea spent many afternoons on Sunset Cliffs sipping wine and watching the sun set. Wish I had Pics, but they were victim to a house fire 4 years ago.

I lived Santa Cruz and Bacon from 1985 to 1988, right at the top of the steps to the cove.

Carol said:
The northernmost parts of Florida are actually south Georgia. :)

Tallahassee is actually in Lapland. It is where Georgia laps into Florida. -- Mike in Tallahassee

Last edited:
Mike Schneider said:
Tallahassee is actually in Lapland. It is where Georgia laps into Florida. -- Mike in Tallahassee

Never did figure out why they put the capitol of Florida in Georgia....

Mike Schneider said:

True :rofl:

Carol
Jacksonville native

Henning said:
Hey, I liked living in OB, I was even made an honorary OBecian:D .

BTW, SF has more than it's share of the afore mentioned fruits and nuts as well.
I love OB. It's got a lot of good places to eat, the pier is cool and the people watching is excellant.

I guess I forgot SF because I tend to only think in terms of SoCal.

Back