[NA]Ipod sync[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I cannot find the button to transfer songs from the ipod to my personal library.
(I can do the reverse, put anything onto the ipod.)

15gB dock type

Dave,

There is no such button. Thank the RIAA, they think if you can do that that you'll just steal music from all your friends' iPods.

However, if you go to http://www.versiontracker.com/ and type "iPod" into the search field, you'll find several utilities that will allow you to extract the music. It's there, just in hidden files with funny names.

thats kinda crazy, its music I moved onto my ipod from my own cd's.
Can I look at the ipod files in explorer and drag the that way?

Let'sgoflying! said:

Yeah, well, the RIAA would love it if "fair use" just went away entirely. Microsoft's new "Zune" player is way way worse than the iPod in this regard, too.

'fraid not. There's lots of software out there that'll do the trick nicely though. I have played around with it a bit, and the files can be found (they're invisible and in a .Music directory IIRC) but they're all named really funny. XIAPCD35.mp3 for instance. The library file knows what's what. The software that's available can just copy those files back and decode the library file to rename them appropriately.

Doesn't this sort of suggest that it is better to rip the CDs to the 'puter with something other than Apple's software, then import to the IPOD from the ripped library (which is already stored and ready to use on your computer)?

Which brings me to my next question: What's the generally-accepted best software (PC) for ripping CDs? I can do it with WinAmp, if I upgrade to the Pro version ($20.00); I can do it with Windows Media Player (seems to work OK); I know that there are other packeages like Roxio, etc. Suggestions as to the best / easiest?

Let'sgoflying! said:

Yeah, it is kind of dorked up. There is one way to do it without the special software. Go find the oddly named files that Kent is referring to in Explorer and copy them to your Desktop. Then turn on the "Keep iTunes folder organized" option and the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option and drag them into iTunes.

The first option will reorganize your entire library and rename all of your files. It creates a folder for every artist and moves the file into that folder and names the file the name of the song. The "Copy" option won't touch the original files on your desktop and puts a copy into your iTunes directory that it just organized. Assuming that everything is tagged correctly this is one way to do it without adding additional software. You'll just have to be careful of duplicates...you may have to go to Edit > Show Duplicate Songs and remove any that you already had in your library.

SCCutler said:
Doesn't this sort of suggest that it is better to rip the CDs to the 'puter with something other than Apple's software, then import to the IPOD from the ripped library (which is already stored and ready to use on your computer)?

Which brings me to my next question: What's the generally-accepted best software (PC) for ripping CDs? I can do it with WinAmp, if I upgrade to the Pro version ($20.00); I can do it with Windows Media Player (seems to work OK); I know that there are other packeages like Roxio, etc. Suggestions as to the best / easiest?
How it's stored on the iPod doesn't have anything to do with what you have on your PC. It's just designed to keep you from going player->PC easily.

NB: An iPod does look like a USB disk to any computer. You can store anything on it like any hard disk. I should see what happens when you copy an mp3. I imagine you just don't see it as being playable on the iPod. That kind of thing does work on other mp3 players like Archos. The new Zune does not work as a disk. The RIAA didn't want that either.

I found a utility that does the iPod->PC transfer. I think I used iPodRip on my Mac.

Try one that let's you download a free demo:
http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/copy_from_ipod.htm

SCCutler said:

Spike,

What you use to rip the CD's has nothing to do with it. iTunes does not add DRM to your files or anything (Microsoft's Zune software, however, WILL add DRM, even to music you own!). iTunes just makes an MP3 file just like anything else will, and will add that music to the iPod.

The problem here is, Dave does not have the music on his computer, only on the iPod. If he had the music on his computer (from ripping CD's, for instance) there wouldn't be any need to pull it back off the iPod.

flyingcheesehead said:

The problem here is, Dave does not have the music on his computer, only on the iPod. If he had the music on his computer (from ripping CD's, for instance) there wouldn't be any need to pull it back off the iPod.

I had assumed that the music on the iPod was placed there by using Apple's iTunes software, ripped from CDs. We all know what happens when we assume...

...so that said...

...any suggestions as to best (cheap or free) software for ripping CDs? I am using Windows Media Player, which seems to bite. Have Roxio with some of the PCs at work (where I don't do any of that), could bring the disks home if that's the recommendation, but I do not want to do that without a tout.

This is precisely the reason I will not use an iPod. Long live generic MP3 Players. My Creative MP3 Player is the best thing I've ever seen. About the same size as the iPod, holds 30gigs, was half the price, and almost indestructable.

And still no worries about someone telling me what I can and cannot do with music I own.

SCCutler said:
I had assumed that the music on the iPod was placed there by using Apple's iTunes software, ripped from CDs. We all know what happens when we assume...

It is on my computer and I did put it there from CDs. In fact its on my 'big' or 'main' library -- I just can't drag them from my ipod to my personal playlist. I could sort through the main library I guess but what a chore.

Let'sgoflying! said:
It is on my computer and I did put it there from CDs. In fact its on my 'big' or 'main' library -- I just can't drag them from my ipod to my personal playlist. I could sort through the main library I guess but what a chore.
Your main library mirrors the iPod if you select "Let iTunes manage my iPod" . Just make a playlist and put those songs from your library in it and iTunes will sync the playlist to the iPod.

mikea said:
Your main library mirrors the iPod if you select "Let iTunes manage my iPod" .

Yes, but I really don't want all my music from my main library on my ipod...
I just want my personal playlist on the ipod.

Just make a playlist and put those songs from your library in it and iTunes will sync the playlist to the iPod.

That is the step that I just said would be an onerous task.

Thanks for thinking about my problem...I suspect I use the device in a manner differently from the other 10million users out there!

Let'sgoflying! said:

That is the step that I just said would be an onerous task.

Thanks for thinking about my problem...I suspect I use the device in a manner differently from the other 10million users out there!
Under preferences, when the iPod is connected, you can choose to sync songs and playlists in selected categories. You might try setting up a category called iPod and put the playlist in it. (I'd have to try that to see how it works.)

Let'sgoflying! said:

Dave, does this personal playlist already exist in iTunes?

Can you describe exactly how you want everything to work? I think there's a way, but I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding you.

All my 500 songs are in the Itunes Music Library. Some from the store, some from CDs etc.
My Playlist "Dave's Library" is below that, with a smattering of songs from the Music Library.
On my new Ipod I somehow transferred a couple dozen of my all time favorite songs. Some of these are purchased over internet, some from CDs. All are in the Music Library.

I would like to hit a button and transfer all the songs from my Ipod to a playlist, save my faves to a place in Itunes. It won't, that I have found, let me move the Ipod songs to the harddrive.

Seems like the easiest way is going to be to root through the Music Library, sort the ones I want moved to the fave playlist.
I feel like I have used enough of everyone's brain power on this, thanks all.

flyingcheesehead said:
Well, you could use iTunes. It's easy and free! :yes: :D

And it is probably the buggiest P.O.S. software I have ever seen written for Win XP.

:vomit:

Let'sgoflying! said:
I would like to hit a button and transfer all the songs from my Ipod to a playlist, save my faves to a place in Itunes. It won't, that I have found, let me move the Ipod songs to the harddrive.

Now, the songs themselves are already on the hard drive though, right? You're just looking to make a playlist that includes only the songs already on the iPod?

Seems like the easiest way is going to be to root through the Music Library, sort the ones I want moved to the fave playlist.

Might be. How did you get the songs on the iPod in the first place? You're obviously not syncing all of your music. Did you select certain playlists to put on the iPod?

You may want to start with a smart playlist. Choose songs based on "most played" and you'll probably have fewer to search through. Take the ones you want and make a regular playlist. Then, go into preferences and sync that playlist to the iPod (or make a duplicate iPod playlist if you don't want to keep your favorites and the iPod contents identical.)

Ooo! I just had a brilliant idea. How old is your iPod? To see if this will work, go into Playlists (on the iPod) and see if the last entry there is "On-The-Go". If it is, go back to Artists. Highlight each artist's name and hold down the select button for a few seconds until the artist's name blinks. Do that for all of the artists. Now, your "On the go" playlist will contain everything on your iPod. Sync the iPod to your computer, and you should have a playlist called "On-The-Go 1" appear in iTunes. Note that this will only work if the computer you sync to is the computer you used to put the tunes on the pod in the first place, otherwise iTunes will want to wipe out the iPod and put all of your music on it.

Let'sgoflying! said:
All my 500 songs are in the Itunes Music Library. Some from the store, some from CDs etc.
My Playlist "Dave's Library" is below that, with a smattering of songs from the Music Library.
On my new Ipod I somehow transferred a couple dozen of my all time favorite songs. Some of these are purchased over internet, some from CDs. All are in the Music Library.

You can group select. Select songs that you want in a playlist, right drag, add to playlist. You can do that for albums you want on the iPod.

Again, you CAN take songs from the iPod with a third party utility. I just saw that I used PodWorks on the Mac. You can find something for Windows.

mikea said:
Again, you CAN take songs from the iPod with a third party utility. I just saw that I used PodWorks on the Mac. You can find something for Windows.

Thing is, the utilities are just going to grab the song files, which he's already got. What he wants is to create a playlist based on what's on the iPod already.

Back