[NA] iphone photo editing

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I think I have discovered that Apple recently made it where you must buy their iCloud service to store photos, if you want to edit them on your iPhone.
I’ve always had the free iCloud storage shut off and was able to rotate/write on photos but suddenly the edit option is greyed out.
Lots of reading and this seems to be the only cause that I have not tested.
Among other things, I have updated, rebooted, ensured cell data for photos is on, emailed/texted/screenshot errant photos to no avail.

I think I have discovered that Apple recently made it where you must buy their iCloud service to store photos, if you want to edit them on your iPhone.
That is incorrect.

I’ve always had the free iCloud storage shut off
Me too.

suddenly the edit option is greyed out.
Worksforme. Is your phone full?

ensured cell data for photos is on
What does that have to do with anything? You can edit photos if you're in airplane mode if you want.

What does that have to do with anything? You can edit photos if you're in airplane mode if you want.
You wouldn’t think so. I didn’t think so. However it is suggested as a solution on several forums, and comes with “Thanks, that fixed it for me” x 10
So I include here that I tried it, to inform those who might suggest it as a solution for me.

Hasn't PoA taught you anything about forums? :biggrin:

Annoyingly, it will display gifs but not let you edit them.

As long as a photo is saved on my iPhone, I can edit it. Wifi and cell not required. If edit isn’t working I’d check to verify the photo is saved on the phone and in the iphoto format. Have you checked your settings to verify iCloud Photos is turned on?

Have you checked your settings to verify iCloud Photos is turned on?

That’s precisely the issue.
I’ve never saved photos to the cloud (icloud) b/c I didn’t have enough space, early on it was constantly giving me the sales pitch to buy more cloud and I declined.

I could still modify photos.

But, with a recent ios update unless you are saving to the cloud many are telling me you lose the ability to edit - which is stupid, and obviously a way to generate a revenue stream.

Sort of like how Hotmail honored unlimited storage until several years after Google bought them and said no more. It's hard to complain about customer service when you don't pay for what you're complaining about.

Apple's iCloud storage makes my iDevice ownership extremely convenient. I find it worth every penny. Pictures, music, documents.... It provides my little handheld computer very useful memory storage. I refer to Files regularly and they download from iCloud in a couple of seconds. Pretty handy to have all my aircraft parts and service manuals at my fingertips.

But, with a recent ios update unless you are saving to the cloud many are telling me you lose the ability to edit - which is stupid, and obviously a way to generate a revenue stream.
Repeating it doesn't make it true. Latest ios here, no iclown, photo editing works for me.

Maybe you accidentally turned on iCloud (btdt), took some pics, and then turned off iCloud? I'd try turning it on, repatriate your data, then turn it off again...

Back