[NA] iPhone GPS controls

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
This question arose on a recent airline flight.
I was wondering about using FF to check our progress.
I did not find any way to turn on the gps receiver while being in compliance with Airplane Mode requirements while flying (I understand there probably is no harm to having the phone on in flight but I still wonder how to use the gps while flying)

There are switches for wifi, BT, cell data - and Airplane Mode(AM) turns them all off. (except you can remain in AM then turn on wifi to access the airplane's signal)

But has there ever been a control to turn the gps receiver on or off?

Strictly a minutiae question of course, but the unstoppable gears turn, at all hours, on these questions.

If location services is on, the gps receiver is on, irrespective of airplane mode. You will need a clear view of the sky. Kinda sorta sometimes works if the phone is close to the window.

Mine works from pretty much anywhere in the airliner. Interior sears take longer to acquire signal but more often than not it works.

Sometimes I like to try to pull up the flight plan and load it into my foreflight and watch it go. I’m amazed at how far out the arrival procedures start. Something to pass the time.

Sometimes I like to try to pull up the flight plan and load it into my foreflight and watch it go. I’m amazed at how far out the arrival procedures start. Something to pass the time.

Can you get the filed flight plan online?

I find that my phone does not work well on a flight. iPhone Xr.

My iPad Mini 6 does work well in the the US.

Back