NA -- iPhone Car Mount

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
I often use my phone for GPS navigation in my older vehicle. I've concluded that it would help immensely at certain times if the phone were close to my line of sight while driving, so I'm looking at ways to mount it while I'm in the vehicle.

It appears that there are mounts which clip on to vents, and ones which stick (or suction) to various smooth surfaces (of which there are almost none in my vehicle). The vent next to the radio is in an ideal place, but I'm a bit nervous about the durability of the vent mounts (or the vents). Do these things work?

Also, some mounts grip the phone and some attach via magnet. Not sure if one works better than the other.

Thanks,
JKG

Apple does not recommend metallic cases or magnetic lenses for the iPhone 6 Plus or 6s Plus because they might interfere with optical image stabilization. Apparently it wouldn't be a permanent problem, but just one that would affect the camera's operation while the case or magnet were in use. Other than that, I can't find any official statement from Apple about magnetic mounts.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that a strong magnetic field like that wouldn't throw off the device's compass. I've noticed with both freestanding and phone-based navigation systems that just moving another electronic device in close proximity to the navigation device will affect the navigation device's compass when the vehicle is not in motion.

Whether or not this matters is debatable because the devices do immediately correct themselves based on satellite information when the vehicle starts to move. Also, the car is full of magnetic fields anyway, so the compass probably isn't all that accurate to begin with. Nonetheless, if navigation were my reason for wanting to mount the device, I don't think I'd want to go planting a magnet on it.

I personally prefer this mount over the rest of the collection I've acquired because it can be used with a wide variety of phones, holds them all securely, has claws long enough to hold a phone that's wearing a protective case, doesn't require that anything be stuck to the phone, has a tacky suction cup that sticks to surfaces other than glass, and includes an adhesive disc that can be stuck to non-glass surfaces if nothing else works. On the down side, it may not be a good choice if you want to use the phone's camera as a dash cam because it will block the camera lens in many phones. But when using the camera is not an issue, this is my favorite of all the bazillion mounts that I've tried.

As for vent mounts, they tend to be very secure. In fact, some of them are a real pain in the ass to remove intentionally, much less accidentally. My personal dislike of them is based on the fact that they block the vents. On the rare occasions that I use the a/c, I like it blowing directly on me. That may or may not be something that you care about. Also, the vent location may not be optimal for navigation use on some cars.

Rich

I don't use it often in the car but when I do I use this and like it. easy on, easy off, lightweight and I can just toss it in the center console when done. also use it in the plane sometimes.

ram_mounts_rap_b_166_2_a_un7u_ram_composite_twist_lock_1037713.jpg

I just wedge mine up on the dash. Sure it will go flying if I brake hard but I can retrieve it by carefully pulling it back with the charging cord.

I don't use it often in the car but when I do I use this and like it. easy on, easy off, lightweight and I can just toss it in the center console when done. also use it in the plane sometimes.

ram_mounts_rap_b_166_2_a_un7u_ram_composite_twist_lock_1037713.jpg

This.

I just leave it mounted in the commuter car all the time unless we're headed out XC in the Dodge with the trailer.

Suction cup will last about five years abused and left in the hot sun. Cold doesn't bother it.

I am a huge fan of Ram mounts...you can find a combo for almost anything and they are rock solid.

If you go Ram, use the X-Grip like the one above...will take almost any case. I use that exact combo in my plane.

http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Suc...1462932404&sr=8-1&keywords=x+grip+suction+ram

I was not fan of vent clip ons till one of my employees found these randomly at an airport kiosk:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It is the most solid vent mount I have seen. Bought one for each car and keep one in my backpack for rental cars when I travel. I have an Iphone 6.

Last edited:
Back