[NA]Insurance terminology

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am looking at a drone insurance policy and need to understand the differences in the line items

1) Personal liability $500,000
2) $25,000 Medical Coverage – AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)

fill in the gaps here but I think 1) is paid out for cases where someone is injured or has property damage and they sue me.
And 2) says its for medical coverage for injuries to another person, and AD&D.

Why would we need the minor amount provided in 2), if 1) will cover the same things?

It will stack for non policy holders more than likely and cover named insured for the 10K…Med alone will pay if you’re not negligent, if someone is injured…

They are going to cover up to $500k in liability, but they will only cover $25k per person for medical expenses and only $10k per person if you kill someone. Aviation insurance figured out a long time ago stuff is easy to fix or replace, people aren’t.

So, “you’re hurt (or dead), here’s a (token) amount for your Dr. - you have to sue if you want more”

Medpay coverage is for medical expenses without a determination of liability. Let's say someone walks into your high-wing Cessna trailing edge and suffers a severe gash on the forehead. Isn't your fault, but Medpay will cover expense from that up to $25k. Falls off your Piper wing and breaks a leg...then hits their head on the stab and dies of a concussion. Same thing.

If you crash your airplane into a house and in doing so you are judged liable, that's where the liability coverage comes into play for damage to persons and property.

The truth is, very few people ever collect on medpay or AD&D.

So, I suppose if someone tripped over your drone...

Last edited:
Back