[NA] Importing bulk liquor

deonb

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
deonb
Every couple of years I fly to South Africa, and bring back a case (12 bottles) of Brandy. Has never been a problem bringing it in on the flight - never even had to pay taxes on it. It's not special or anything - you just can't get it here. But it's what I grew up with so I have a fondness for it. Tastes like gasoline to most other people.

The problem is I don't want to fly connecting flights anymore, and it causes a problem with the stopover. E.g. flying ZAR->Dubai->US would mean trying to take a case of liquor through Dubai customs. Egh.

How else can I import it into the country?

I tried going through an importer here, but the distributer there refuse to sell for export. If I buy it there myself, USPS/FEDEX/DHL won't take it. Air Freight neither, because it's a liquid.

A ship will take it, but the smallest economical amount on a ship is 12 cases. Ok, fine, but then what? I've tried asking shippers about it, but they point me to distribution laws which all state that it requires a license. But this is for consumption, not distribution...

So how exactly does one ship in 12 cases of liquor for consumption?

Take it to the next level and become the U.S. Distributor? Find another brand you like that is available? Have a friend bring it in who doesn't mind the stopovers?

Or fly an airline like SAA that has direct or one-stops to the US... Or fly through LHR...

Become the distributor. If it tastes like gasoline hipsters will drink it and you"ll be shipping a container a month in no time. If people drink Jagermeister, there must be a market for anything.

Become the distributor. If it tastes like gasoline hipsters will drink it and you"ll be shipping a container a month in no time. If people drink Jagermeister, there must be a market for anything.

I wouldn't mind doing that, but it's one of those big distilleries that have no interest in distributing in the U.S. They will actually sue people who try to. Well, it's not that they're not interested, but they want the market for themselves and don't want to fight a local distributor when/if they do enter. Except in 25 years since sanctions were lifted they've never entered.

Same thing when SAB bought Miller. We thought we'd be able to get SAB products locally now, but they just end up blocking everybody who tries to resale it - even in small quantities. Similar with Cadbury/Hershey for that matter.

So I don't want to go through the distribution headache. Consumption gives me enough of a headache as is!

Oude Meester, by any chance?

Hah. Nothing that fancy. Plain old $8.50 per bottle Klipdrift.

I know Klipdrift Premium was rated the world's best Brandy in 2016 - but I just want the normal stuff (which is ironically called Klipdrift Export). Besides, you can't get Klipdrift Premium here either.

According to this, the US imported $52m of wine and beer from SA in 2015. Why not contact one of those export/import companies (on either side) and ask them if they can get you X cases along with their next regular shipment? Can't hurt to ask...

Hah. Nothing that fancy. Plain old $8.50 per bottle Klipdrift.

I know Klipdrift Premium was rated the world's best Brandy in 2016 - but I just want the normal stuff (which is ironically called Klipdrift Export). Besides, you can't get Klipdrift Premium here either.

Eyh :) I think I toured the distillery, aren't they in Robertson?

Every couple of years I fly to South Africa, and bring back a case (12 bottles) of Brandy. Has never been a problem bringing it in on the flight - never even had to pay taxes on it. It's not special or anything - you just can't get it here. But it's what I grew up with so I have a fondness for it. Tastes like gasoline to most other people.

The problem is I don't want to fly connecting flights anymore, and it causes a problem with the stopover. E.g. flying ZAR->Dubai->US would mean trying to take a case of liquor through Dubai customs. Egh.

How else can I import it into the country?

I tried going through an importer here, but the distributer there refuse to sell for export. If I buy it there myself, USPS/FEDEX/DHL won't take it. Air Freight neither, because it's a liquid.

A ship will take it, but the smallest economical amount on a ship is 12 cases. Ok, fine, but then what? I've tried asking shippers about it, but they point me to distribution laws which all state that it requires a license. But this is for consumption, not distribution...

So how exactly does one ship in 12 cases of liquor for consumption?

Well, if you've been carrying it on flights every couple of years and not paying taxes, you probably weren't declaring it (unless those are tiny bottles).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...g-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

The best suggestion so far is to contact an exporter in SA who's willing to ship it to you. Here's CBP's advice for personal importation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ements-for-importing-alcohol-for-personal-use

Eyh :) I think I toured the distillery, aren't they in Robertson?

That would be "Eish" :). But props for that. Yes, they're in Robertson.

Well, if you've been carrying it on flights every couple of years and not paying taxes, you probably weren't declaring it (unless those are tiny bottles).

No, they're 750ml each. I absolutely declare it every time - have entered in both SEA and JFK with it. I write down exactly how many bottles on the customs declaration form, as well as the price - even have the receipt in my hand. Twice, customs also took the box and X-rayed it for security. But they've never charged me tax for it - I think it's because it's so cheap (a case would be about $100).

The best suggestion so far is to contact an exporter in SA who's willing to ship it to you. Here's CBP's advice for personal importation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ements-for-importing-alcohol-for-personal-use

I've talked to an exporter in South Africa who I know pretty well (though he generally exports airplane parts, not liquor). He has no problem putting it on a ship, but he can't help with the process to receive it here.

The link to contact the local port on that page however is helpful. I'll try that next. Thanks.

That would be "Eish" :). But props for that. Yes, they're in Robertson.

Lekker, I can blame that stuff for one of the worst hangovers of my life. Half a bottle of that and a heavy night out in Long Street. I was in bed for 2 days :)

No, they're 750ml each. I absolutely declare it every time - have entered in both SEA and JFK with it. I write down exactly how many bottles on the customs declaration form, as well as the price - even have the receipt in my hand. Twice, customs also took the box and X-rayed it for security. But they've never charged me tax for it - I think it's because it's so cheap (a case would be about $100).
The excise tax isn't based on the value, and would be just a few bucks per bottle. But possibly the CBP agents don't care enough to collect it if it's obviously for personal use.

I've talked to an exporter in South Africa who I know pretty well (though he generally exports airplane parts, not liquor). He has no problem putting it on a ship, but he can't help with the process to receive it here.

The link to contact the local port on that page however is helpful. I'll try that next. Thanks.
For personal use, getting someone to export it might be the difficult part. You can import it yourself, but you may have to pick it up, or have a courier pick it up from the port of entry.

Have your friend send you a case of special aviation grade whiskey compass liquid. That should make the receiving paperwork easier.

There is a nonstop flight from JNB-ATL if stopovers in other countries are your problem.

Importing requires a rather onerous license.

The best situation is to find an existing US importer who wants to handle the product and get them to allow you to special order (you'll still need to go through a local retail store to do it).

Having SPIRITS shipped isn't exactly easy in all cases. Wine is one thing, but you can inquire. I get spirits sent from Flaviar which ships out of Slovenia or some such place and comes by regular mail (at least on our end).

There is a nonstop flight from JNB-ATL if stopovers in other countries are your problem.

Solving the wrong problem... I WANT to make the stopover since it's so long (it's 20 hours along the quickest route). When I fly with connecting flights or directly, I've never had any problems importing it.

But I'd rather split the flight into 2 shorter flights and spend a couple of days in Dubai or Europe in between.

Curious - what would happen if you were to do this as a GA flight? I've never landed internationally with GA, and I doubt I'd ever fly across the Atlantic, but out of interest. Do you always have to take all of your cargo/luggage through customs or can you leave some stuff in your airplane at the airport and enter the country with the rest, and then just take off with it again a few days later?

I know liquor always has special rules - for example an airliner can fly with liquor on board and land in Saudi Arabia and then take off with it again - as long as it doesn't serve liquor while over Saudi Airspace IF it lands/departs in Saudi. Once it leaves the airspace it can server liquor though. BUT if it never landed/departed in Saudi it CAN serve liquor while over Saudi airspace. I don't know if that rule extends to GA flights in Saudi.

Solving the wrong problem... I WANT to make the stopover since it's so long (it's 20 hours along the quickest route). When I fly with connecting flights or directly, I've never had any problems importing it.

But I'd rather split the flight into 2 shorter flights and spend a couple of days in Dubai or Europe in between.

Curious - what would happen if you were to do this as a GA flight? I've never landed internationally with GA, and I doubt I'd ever fly across the Atlantic, but out of interest. Do you always have to take all of your cargo/luggage through customs or can you leave some stuff in your airplane at the airport and enter the country with the rest, and then just take off with it again a few days later?

I know liquor always has special rules - for example an airliner can fly with liquor on board and land in Saudi Arabia and then take off with it again - as long as it doesn't serve liquor while over Saudi Airspace IF it lands/departs in Saudi. Once it leaves the airspace it can server liquor though. BUT if it never landed/departed in Saudi it CAN serve liquor while over Saudi airspace. I don't know if that rule extends to GA flights in Saudi.
It might depend on the country but I've never encountered a problem with leaving stuff on the airplane. They don't care as long as it is not being imported into their country. When they ask about alcohol, we answer "only the ship's stock". Occasionally we need to clarify that it won't come off the airplane in the host country. I have no idea about Saudi Arabian airspace, though.

Leaving it on the airplane isn't going to happen on a two-day layover. Some airports allow travellers to leave luggage in customs bond, some don't. It's less common these days.

If you're going through Dubai, you might be able to get Marhaba (spelling??) to transfer it for you, even if it'll be a couple of days. Should cost you something in the range of $50 US.

If you're going through Dubai, you might be able to get Marhaba (spelling??) to transfer it for you, even if it'll be a couple of days. Should cost you something in the range of $50 US.

I think you need Marhaba Elite for pre-immigration stuff, which is like $350. But could be worth it. I'll ask them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back