NA Icloud storage ads

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So is the only way to kill the idevice popups (plus emails, and banner on the laptop icalendar) which advertise 'running out of space, will lose all your data if more space not purchased'.... by opting out of icloud altogther?

So is the only way to kill the idevice popups (plus emails, and banner on the laptop icalendar) which advertise 'running out of space, will lose all your data if more space not purchased'.... by opting out of icloud altogther?

Probably. I am all-in on Apple devices and I have turned off iCloud. It is the worst of all storage options and most expensive. I pay for the lowest Google Drive tier and love it. So I have iCloud turned off completely and never get those warnings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turning off iCloud is not a good idea. If you do that, you lose iCloud backup and Find My iPhone at the very least.

In my experience, the culprit with space on iCloud is usually photos. You can exclude photos (or other data) from iCloud backups using the Settings app, under iCloud -> Storage-> This Device. In that screen, you can also see how much data each application is contributing to the iCloud backup.

JKG

You can be selective with iCloud. I've opted out of everything except for backup and find my phone. I don't get bothered with ads.

There are no ads on or from iCloud. Apple will alert you when you are close to filling your allocated space. That isn't an ad.

JKG

Might be that we have differing definitions of the word 'ad' but if I receive an unsolicited notice which suggests I buy something, I have been using the word 'ad'. Wrong?
I use 'alert' to indicate things that do not ask for money. 'Altitude alerter' 'Storm alert'. (yes I know they can be expensive too!)
I guess I could modify the title to say 'Storage Alerts offering to sell me a solution" or some such if that would be helpful.

I think that is normal behavior from storage providers. I get these "ads" from Dropbox, SugarSync, and iCloud when I am close to filling the space I have on my current subscription.

Would you prefer that the storage provider not warn you when you're close to capacity?

The entire reason for the warning and suggestion to purchase more storage to resolve the warning is demonstrated in your first post. It isn't unsolicited, as it is only generated in response to your behavior.

Most folks don't know what data is growing on their devices, and even if they did, would be hesitant to stop the growth or continuously delete data to keep from exceeding their quotas. I suspect that this is especially true with respect to photos. If you are relying on iCloud Backup for your device(s), the backup will fail if the allocated space on your iCloud account is inadequate.

With iCloud Backup, apps and your iTunes library don't count against your iCloud storage quota, but application data and photos do count unless you specifically exclude them from the backup.

JKG

Last edited:
Back