[NA] HTC Ozone or Crackberry Tour 9630

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Anyone have experience with the HTC Ozone or the Blackberry Tour 9630 with Verizon?

I like the Ozone b/c it has WiFi access, but the Blackberry is... well.. a Blackberry, and I don't personally know anything at all about HTC. I'll mostly be using it for email and organization with Google mail/calendar, but I'll need access to Twitter b/c one of my classes is using it for course news. :confused: Other downloadable 'useless' apps would be a nice way to waste time as well.

Which should I get?

HTC makes some good phones, especially lately with the G1.

However, Windows Mobile is a crappy, crappy OS, and that's what you'll get with the Ozone.

I say go with the Blackberry. I'm not familiar with the 9630, but every other Blackberry I've used is awesome.

I have no advice, but am interested in the answers you receive. I'm debating between the BB Tour and the BB Storm. My usage will primarily be work email, occasional review of attachments, and web access. The Tour is rated at 4.5/5 on Verizon, while the Storm is rated 3/5 - and the ratings are love/hate, i.e. 1's and 2's or 5's, nothing in between. However, my old eyes really like the size of the screen on the Storm, especially when accessing ADDS, looking at Wx radar, etc.

Well, I ordered the Blackberry Tour 9630 yesterday morning at 9am. It was at my house before 11am today. I've been playing with it since I got home this afternoon. This is my first experience with a Blackberry and it is very simple to learn. Within an hour or so, I had my school's email (which has recently switched to Google Apps) connected to the BB native email client and had Google calendar syncing with the BB calendar client. I was also able to get the Facebook app installed along with a Twitter and RSS client. Normally, I wouldn't bother with Twitter and RSS, but one of my classes is using them pretty heavily this semester.

The only thing I have been slightly annoyed with is the size of the keys. I'm used to being able to text without looking at the screen (my wife got me hooked). If you have fat fingers, I could see that being an annoying problem, but definitely not a deal breaker.

As far as speed, I have been very impressed with VZW's speed. I'm getting full-strength 1XEV sitting in my living room, which is actually better than I got with the LG VX8700. In the little bit of surfing I have done so far, radar maps load quickly, apps download really fast, email is pushing quickly.

So far, I'm really impressed with it and am looking forward to putting it to the test while managing several projects for the next 4-5 months.

Wish I saw this sooner.

If you are a Google Apps user, the Android platform is the bees knees.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Wish I saw this sooner.

If you are a Google Apps user, the Android platform is the bees knees.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well, as a Verizon user for many years, I don't think they have an Android phone. But a little Googleness indicates they might, soon:

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/07/30/motorola-sholes-bringing-android-to-verizon.html

But, then again:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=35BD410BVMKZJQE1GHPSKHWATMY32JVN

Ah, Internet Rumors.

Yeah.. I really wanted to jump on the Google phone, but nobody can compete with Verizon coverage in my area. My wife REALLY REALLY wanted an iPhone, but ATT is horrid around here and I know the 'bells & whistles' of the iPhone wouldn't be enough to compensate for horrible coverage.

I'm pretty happy with the BB Tour so far. I have a couple of GMail accounts going directly to it now and they are working fine. I'm still learning what all the different dings and beeps mean though. Too many options!! :D

Back