NA How to buy an ethernet switch

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Wow, I had no idea this could be so difficult.
A switch seems like a simple piece of hardware, I think it just connects your devices and allows them to talk?

I didn't even know I needed one (neither did "my IT guy" til I discovered it and pointed it out to him) so it is hard to know what to buy.

Apparently they run from $100 to $5000! That is a huge range. Hopefully someone can explain the features or what specifications I might need. This will connect ~5 workstations, 5 printers, the DSL box, maybe a few other things...am I right that I need around 20 RJ45 ports?

They offer a variety of wireless standards a->n etc but I am not sure I even need wireless capability in a switch if everything is plugged into it?

How about all these other options? Huge shrug: :dunno:
Gigabit Ethernet Speed (243)
Plug and Play (64)
Uplinking Capability (55)
Auto Speed Sensing (43)
Auto Detecting (41)
LED Indicator(s) (31)
Data Encryption (4)
ENERGY STAR Certified (3)
Integrated Modem (3)
Plug-In (3)
Wireless (2)
Attached Antenna (1)
Auto Sending Ports (1)
Battery Indicator Light (1)
Dual Band Technology (1)
Parental Controls (1)
Volume Control (1)
Wireless Networking (1)

I am being offered a 48-port with PoE in an IT provider quote for $641.
HP1820-48G while we are trying to trim the plan down to meet the budget. Just wondered if I can't do what I want for half that.
Reminder: Connecting an HP ML350 server to 5 workstations, 5 printers, very small business, very small data flows. Will be remoting in, somehow. Possible security cams later.

PS, I found and read this guide but there is so much acronyming and computerspeak going on that it is over my head.

HP commercial grade switches have a lifetime warranty. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion (after having (non-hp) switches fail on regular basis).

Back