[NA] How anonymous is anonymous?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Working on a simple 'suggestion box' web app. The app should allow the user to select whether or not it is an 'anonymous' submission.

The question is - How anonymous should 'anonymous' really be? We can make it so that we stamp the userId onto every submission, but only display the userId on items not marked as anonymous. The thinking is that if someone makes some sort of 'anonymous' threat, we probably want to know who made that threat. If it were the old paper-based suggestion box, we would have the benefit of handwriting, fingerprints, etc. With a digital solution, you have to specifically determine what you want to track.

Anyone have any experience with this type of scenario in a corporate environment?

If you are going to mark it anonymous then it damn well better be. Period.

Are you saying that from a 'user' standpoint or from a 'legal/ethical' standpoint?

Working on a simple 'suggestion box' web app. The app should allow the user to select whether or not it is an 'anonymous' submission.

The question is - How anonymous should 'anonymous' really be? We can make it so that we stamp the userId onto every submission, but only display the userId on items not marked as anonymous. The thinking is that if someone makes some sort of 'anonymous' threat, we probably want to know who made that threat. If it were the old paper-based suggestion box, we would have the benefit of handwriting, fingerprints, etc. With a digital solution, you have to specifically determine what you want to track.

Anyone have any experience with this type of scenario in a corporate environment?

Have a few keywords that prevent anonymous submissions.

I would suggest a disclaimer that identifying information may be released to law enforcement.

After discussing with some of our senior leadership and reviewing our corporate network use policy, I think we will abandon the entire possibility of 'anonymous' activity. Our network use policy basically says that there is no such thing as 'privacy' on our network, so by us implying that it is possible to submit 'anonymous' suggestions is contradictory to that policy.

From my perspective as an employee, particularly regarding surveys or suggestions, I never assume that anything is anonymous. There is always some type of trail, even if it's through a third party which tags the "anonymous" submission with a random code, which is not mapped to any PII when provided to the employer. Threats aside, my assumption is always that if my employer doesn't care for something that I submit on the survey, they are the ones who are paying for the survey, and can easily "request" that I be identified.

I understand that it's difficult to get employees to be candid with management, but that's usually because management (at some level) really doesn't want candid opinions from employees. Those same employees who are skeptical about providing candid opinions out in the open are likely to be skeptical about providing them to "anonymous" surveys or suggestion boxes.

JKG

Agreed. I would ask the CEO if this was acceptable. If yes, implement it. If no, resign. You do not want to work somewhere where lying to employees in a situation like this is acceptable.

Your chosen third course, not promising anonymity, will prevent your receiving some useful information but it is at least ethical.

Our network use policy basically says that there is no such thing as 'privacy' on our network, so by us implying that it is possible to submit 'anonymous' suggestions is contradictory to that policy.
That seems like a kind of tortured rationalization but if it works for you, OK.

Back