[NA]Home Security Systems[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Direction to a primer would be appreciated.
Maybe someone here has some info.

Need something for a 2000sq ft home in built up area - small town with PDept and FDept, solo elderly occupant with hearing difficulty, to advise when home is entered (local alarm plus remote alert to company, plus 3rd party notification)
Need a loud audio device in house preferably in bedroom and several other rooms, strobes. Smoke sensors as well.
SIMPLE keyboard also.

Mine's a GE which is as good as any as near as I can tell. It uses a cell phone inside it's control panel so it does not rely on the house phone line. My monitoring company also subscribes to ALARM.COM so I can check on things on the internet/iphone as well.

I'd like to get a 150# German Shepherd but they can be bribed.
That GE system is it like this?

Seems like the big companies like ADT are selling mainly the notification system. Does anyone think that is necessary?

Training her to use a pistol would be not useful I think.

First and foremost, do not get from one of the major national chains (Broadview, ADT, etc.); they lead with teaser-cheap prices, based upon long-contract mandatory monitoring contracts, and the equipment they install is proprietary (meaning, it cannot be monitored by any other security firm), and they usually retain title to the central processor.

Check around for a well-regarded LOCAL security firm. They'll be fairer, will counsel based upon local requirements, and will have the best relationship with the local services (fire, police, ambulancia).

In the locals know best thinking that spike brings up you can extend it to actually talking with the local police public service officer or whatever that function gets called. I imagine that they would be able to make a recommendation as well.

My mom had an alarm system, can't remember the name. She also had a shotgun which she used once to deter a man from breaking in.....

Last edited:
Come to think of it, my mom had one of those gizmos you wear around your neck too, in case you fall down and can't get up.....

Spike's got it. Work with a good local company.

via Tapatalk

Bark bark woof!

You asked!

Sure they can be bribed but they still make noise

Mine is a wired system. Absent the monitoring it's by and large a waste of effort in my opinion.

Mine is also integrated into the smokes and the water flow on the fire sprinklers.

Spend all your disposable income on aviation, there won't be anything in the house worth stealing. :)

The 'local guys' will then contract the monitoring out to the same outfits that run the call centers for ADT and broadview :wink2: .

You may get better customer service and a better price as you dont have to pay for sterotype laden primetime TV ads.

In some metro areas, you will find alarm companies that actually have a patrol that responds to trouble codes (e.g. a single window sensor without any interior motions go off). As many metro PDs assign low priority to alarm calls, the company will often get there before the cops and cancel the response if nothing is found wrong. If they find a window broken, they can call back and turn the call into a 'burglary in process' ensuring a faster response.

Alarms do work. We had an office break-in and the cops got there in time based on the alarm response. The crook just finished 18 months in county lockup.

Back