NA--Holp From SUV knowledgeable people

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I need to come up with a "new" SUV (or van) before the end of the month. My key concerns are reliability and gas mileage, and a decent towing ability (racing motorcycle on flatbed trailer, maybe light farm implements, etc.) Not looking for a heavy hauler yet, just something decent and can handle a few snowy passes in the Cascades.

My 1987 Jimmy, which still has many factory original parts and hasn't given me one lick of serious trouble since the day I bought it, just isn't up to a final trip over the Continental Divide. Not to mention with gas prices the way they are, it costs as much to drive that thing cross country as it does to rent an airplane.

Recommendations on used vehicles under 15K, anyone?? Oh yeah, and my little sister said that it has to be comfortable to stretch out and sleep in the rear/cargo area if needed.

(Edited to add: I am doing research online and all--I just wanted some personal opinions from those of you who may own these things and have a heck of a lot more experience with them than I do. )

Thanks in advance

Terry (feverishly getting ready to move)

Last edited:
terzap said:
I need to come up with a "new" SUV (or van) before the end of the month. My key concerns are reliability and gas mileage, and a decent towing ability (racing motorcycle on flatbed trailer, maybe light farm implements, etc.) Not looking for a heavy hauler yet, just something decent and can handle a few snowy passes in the Cascades.

My 1987 Jimmy, which still has many factory original parts and hasn't given me one lick of serious trouble since the day I bought it, just isn't up to a final trip over the Continental Divide. Not to mention with gas prices the way they are, it costs as much to drive that thing cross country as it does to rent an airplane.

Recommendations on used vehicles under 15K, anyone?? Oh yeah, and my little sister said that it has to be comfortable to stretch out and sleep in the rear/cargo area if needed.

(Edited to add: I am doing research online and all--I just wanted some personal opinions from those of you who may own these things and have a heck of a lot more experience with them than I do. )

Thanks in advance

Terry (feverishly getting ready to move)

I've loved both my Tahoes. More manueverable than a Suburban. I order them 2 wheel drive, tow package and the little rear gear. They have so much torque I've never had a problem towing my 5000# boat and trailer. Both (1996 and 2003) make 16+ mph with the AC on, full pax, and 80 mph. Now abuse them with jack rabbit starts and you'll see less. Towing 5k brings 'em down to 12 - 13 mpg- about what the 4-wheel drive makes in town. I live in the south so 4 wd is mostly a waste for me.

I'd put the Honda CRV's high on the list. I had one .. but traded it
off on a Jeep Liberty. I like driving the Jeep .. but the gas mileage is
awful and it seems like it costs me way more for routine maintenance.
Should have kept the Honda.

RT

Much as I hate to recommend foreign, check out Isuzu trucks. They're cheap and reliable. Also - you might want to look into a newer Jimmy/Blazer (S10/S15 are cheap and plenty o' room to stretch out/lie down).

I don't really like SUV's -- they tend to be lousy off-road and lousy working vehicles (I've tried them, I don't like them). Why not a pickup?

You might also want to check out the Suzuki Grand Vitara (1,500 lb towing) or XL-7 (3,000 lb towing). They ain't sexy but are reliable, have decent fuel economy (low to mid 20's on the highway) and can be had for a song on the used market in either 2x4 or 4x4.
Good luck in your search for what works for you and your mission.

Just bought a new 2006 Jeep Commander Limited a couple weeks ago. 6500 pound towing capacity. 4.7 liter V-8, 5 speed automatic transmission. More toys than you can count. Worse gas mileage than the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0 liter I-6) that it replaced. Still breaking it in, but got around 17 mpg on a cross state trip last weekend. Seating for 7 with NO cargo space, or seating for 5 and reasonable cargo space. 20.5 gallon gas tank (that really needs to be larger!).

W have an '05 Element. Can tow about 1500#, gets ~25 mph and is AWD. And you can haul a full sized Freightliner windshield inisde along with three Honda Accord windsheilds, a couple pieces of door glass and two Giant touring bicycles. And still have room for small stuff.

Not a problem going over the pass in the winter, and it plows right up our driveway even with the stock tires (need AWD/4WD in winter time).

Not the prettiest thing on the road, but I LOVE this car. I like it better than my Vibe.

As far as stretching out? The seats are designed to make themselves into a 'bed' of sorts. Front & rear seats lay all the way back. Or you can do like we do, just take the back seats out (very easy to do) and toss in a sleeping bag. The whole vehicle interior is on one level. No middle 'hump', no built up area in the back. Flat and level from gas pedal to rear hatch.

Last edited:
RogerT said:
I'd put the Honda CRV's high on the list. I had one .. but traded it
off on a Jeep Liberty. I like driving the Jeep .. but the gas mileage is
awful and it seems like it costs me way more for routine maintenance.
Should have kept the Honda.

RT
If you go with a used CRV, make sure you budget for a tranny at +/- 60K miles. No personal experience, but when my crappy Durango blew its tranny at 48K, the guys at Aamco said they see a lot of CRVs.

Agree with comment about Honda Transmissions. Our Odyssey is on its THIRD. Fortuantely as original owners, Honda has stood behind it.

I'll second the idea of a pick-up. I'm driving a Toyota Tundra double-cab with a 4.7L V-8. It's getting 15.2 mpg city and 17.4 highway. It's rated towing capacity is 6500 lbs.

I just turned 100K in my 1994 Toyota 4Runner and I figure it is good for a few more years. Have not had a single major problem. Have only replaced normal items like brakes, tires, battery, etc. It is in the shop for an oil change today. Happened to see a very nice new 4Runner on the floor, might have been a left over, listed at $28K had everything I would want except a sunroof. There was also a Tacoma pick up with the small jump seats in extended cab, 4wd, V6, AC, CD. If you put a cab over the bed it would make for a good emergency sleeping area, I think that was listed for $21K.

Len

I don't know if any of their products suit your needs but for longevity and trouble free driving, we have had excellent service from our Toyotas.

Dart said:
I've loved both my Tahoes. More manueverable than a Suburban. I order them 2 wheel drive, tow package and the little rear gear. They have so much torque I've never had a problem towing my 5000# boat and trailer. Both (1996 and 2003) make 16+ mph with the AC on, full pax, and 80 mph. Now abuse them with jack rabbit starts and you'll see less. Towing 5k brings 'em down to 12 - 13 mpg- about what the 4-wheel drive makes in town. I live in the south so 4 wd is mostly a waste for me.

If you are looking at used Chevy/GMC SUVs, do a little reasearch on the transmission issue. For certain years (02 through 04, I think) there was an inordinate amount of transmission failures due to some sort of defective star gear. GMC/Chevy never stepped up to the plate to recall for it, but lots and lots of owners have had to have rebuilds. If you do test drive one, PAY VERY close attention to any hesitancy in the shift, clunking, or delays in coming out of gear at coast (all are signs of trouble in these cars). Trust, me, I found out the hard and expensive way. Despite this though I still like the vehicle!

Pjsmith said:
If you are looking at used Chevy/GMC SUVs, do a little reasearch on the transmission issue. For certain years (02 through 04, I think) there was an inordinate amount of transmission failures due to some sort of defective star gear. GMC/Chevy never stepped up to the plate to recall for it, but lots and lots of owners have had to have rebuilds. If you do test drive one, PAY VERY close attention to any hesitancy in the shift, clunking, or delays in coming out of gear at coast (all are signs of trouble in these cars). Trust, me, I found out the hard and expensive way. Despite this though I still like the vehicle!

Been there, got rid of the POS. 2003 Sonoma. Less than 35K on odo and one day it decides it's not going into reverse. Other issues: paint started chipping off, horrid wind noise from front passenger door (truck was a crew cab) that after two warranty attempts at fixing NEVER went away, both headlights had to be replaced as they kind of 'melted' from the inside, spray on undercoating all but flaked off, crappy mileage, and I could fit more stuff in the back of my Vibe than the bed of that truck. So, back in january we took the Sonoma to the Honda dealer and traded it in on the Element. The Sonoma ended up back at the GMC dealer we bought it from, and it sat on the lot for about 6 1/2 months.

I'm very happy with my Vibe. Probably because its a Toyota Matrix that says Pontiac on it. I'll never buy another GM car again.

Back