[NA] highway tailgaters

My BNL is a horrible tailgater. 6 lane highway, only two cars visible for miles in either direction, Brad'l be the guy riding the other guy's bumper. It petrifies me.

Once I told him "Hey Brad, why don't you change lanes and tailgate someone else for a while" after he'd been riding some guy's bumper for miles.

Driving is a dynamic situation and adjustments for speed and lane position must be constantly made. Not passing and hanging on someone's bumper is a no-go.

I would have taken the first exit and used the time to take a short break.

Oh yeah, left lane campers should be [eliminated].

Not quite the same thing, but one time when I was in the right lane of a highway with two lanes in each direction, I noticed that a guy to my left was matching my speed, with people behind obviously wanting to get by. I tried slowing down to make a hole for people to get through. The guy continued to slow down with me until we were going 35 or so. By this time I had had enough, so I floored it, and between the surprise factor and the fact that my empty pickup truck has above-average acceleration, I was able to leave the guy well behind.

I did NOT like being used in that manner!

Don't you hate it when someone is dragging along at 5-10 under the limit on a two lane road with a line of cars behind them and nobody will pass ... and then some idiot comes around everybody at warp speed passing a half dozen cars at a time with the throttle buried in the floorboard?

Yeah ... I'm that guy! :biggrin:

Don't you hate it when someone is dragging along at 5-10 under the limit on a two lane road with a line of cars behind them and nobody will pass ... and then some idiot comes around everybody at warp speed passing a half dozen cars at a time with the throttle buried in the floorboard?

There are times when I'm behind someone like that but I won't pass because I have a reason to be slow myself, like pulling a long trailer. I hold way back so folk can pass just me and get back in if needed, and then pass the other guy later.

Tailgating is insane here. And there are a ton of accidents every day, of course.

The same drivers also treat their pedals as binary. They have to either be accelerating or braking. I'll be coasting to a red light, and being that the person behind me is unable to coast, they will zoom to the next lane, passing me by a differential of like 20mph, because they absolutely have to get to the red light right now. Then I'll just continue coasting to a stop and end up right next to them a few seconds later. And I swear this behavior represents like 75% of drivers around here (DC area).

Tailgating is insane here. And there are a ton of accidents every day, of course.

The same drivers also treat their pedals as binary. They have to either be accelerating or braking. I'll be coasting to a red light, and being that the person behind me is unable to coast, they will zoom to the next lane, passing me by a differential of like 20mph, because they absolutely have to get to the red light right now. Then I'll just continue coasting to a stop and end up right next to them a few seconds later. And I swear this behavior represents like 75% of drivers around here (DC area).
Sounds like my wife. Energy management is not one of the tools in her toolbox. She doesn't understand why I get 3-5 MPG more than her if I drive her car.

I also coast to red lights and many times I arrive at a moderate speed that prevents me from having to stop/start. It tends to infuriate those that raced to the light and are sitting stopped in a line of traffic because they couldn't "read" the traffic ahead and adapt as I slip on by in the lane that is moving.

Last edited:
I play a game all the time and my wife hates it.
I clean my windshield and see if I can get the guy behind me to turn on his wipers form the overspray.
About 75% of the time it works. Anytime someone is behind me, I just play this game. I haven't paid any attention as to whether or not it inspires them to change lanes or slow down, I just know it feels like I have won if I see their wipers come on in my rear view mirror.

I love tailgaters. For 40 years I was a personal injury attorney. Tailgaters put my kids through college.
Brother is a bone cutter with a specialty in hand and elbows - he loves skateboards, scooters, and roller blades.

I also coast to red lights and many times I arrive at a moderate speed that prevents me from having to stop/start. It tends to infuriate those that raced to the light and are sitting stopped in a line of traffic because they couldn't "read" the traffic ahead and adapt as I slip on by in the lane that is moving.

Here in Gallup if you stop for a red light you run the risk of getting plowed from behind. And if you go through a green light you take a chance of getting T-boned.

Red lights and stop signs are just mere suggestions. Speed limits.?? Not here....

No traffic enforcement at all unless the state police show up.

I clean my windshield and see if I can get the guy behind me to turn on his wipers form the overspray.
About 75% of the time it works. Anytime someone is behind me, I just play this game. I haven't paid any attention as to whether or not it inspires them to change lanes or slow down, I just know it feels like I have won if I see their wipers come on in my rear view mirror.
I had a friend in high school who aimed his windshield squirters to shoot over his car, just to eff with people.

I got a speeding ticket doing this.
At least 15 cars lined up behind a tractor doing 20mph at best, and wide open road for as far as you could see. Nobody making a move...ever.
I was on my motorcycle, so next straight stretch, screw this, full throttle.
The only reason I got a ticket was because one of the chicken **** dudes in the line was frustrated, and called his sheriff buddy.. who stopped me a few miles down the road.
Sheriff didn't even see me speeding, and told me his buddy called lol.
I wish I knew who his buddy was. This one cost me pretty good. I'm not much on revenge, but I do make exceptions.

I've been behind you, bastard!

Downshift, that will get their attention in a hurry!
Anyone who gets accustomed to having regenerative braking at their disposal will usually use your method to discourage tailgaters without even a conscious thought.

All well and good, other that the a-holes who do that and prevent those behind them from gettin into the turn lanes so they can get the left turn arrow, or make the right while everyone sits at the light. The utter lack of awareness of and consideration for other drivers is really annoying.

I’m not saying that’s you - I’ll coast to time the light when able, but if there are people behind me that may need an upcoming turn lane, I’ll get the hell out of the way.

All well and good, other that the a-holes who do that and prevent those behind them from gettin into the turn lanes so they can get the left turn arrow, or make the right while everyone sits at the light. The utter lack of awareness of and consideration for other drivers is really annoying.

I’m not saying that’s you - I’ll coast to time the light when able, but if there are people behind me that may need an upcoming turn lane, I’ll get the hell out of the way.
Not all hero's wear capes. Thank you! :thumbsup:

I get annoyed at those people who see the light ahead and because they start coasting the quarter mile to the light, I end up missing the light to turn left and have to sit for and wait for it to cycle through.

You guys spend way too much time being unhappy, and sharing it with everyone else. Life’s too short.
But it brings me joy have to my rear windshield cleaner pointed to make sure the tailgaters get a nice car full of spray. Pass me or back off. I'm usually 5-10 over anyways but in little towns in NE it's the speed limit. Barney is waiting.

Unless the need is urgent, I wait until no one is in a position to get sprayed before using my windshield sprayer.

Unless the need is urgent, I wait until no one is in a position to get sprayed before using my windshield sprayer.
I don’t care one way or the other, it’s part of driving. Unless there’s a biker behind me; then I’ll hold off as a courtesy.

I normally don't pay attention, except maybe to slow down a little. A friend of mine who used to ride his bike everywhere would keep a handful of ball bearings in his motorcycle jacket. Apparently when people would follow too closely they'd fall out of his pocket. Maybe a bit of a jerk move, but so is tailgating a motorcycle.

I agree ... I'm not there to hinder anyone else but when all the lights are red and the lanes are full why are folks racing to the light?

Back