[NA]hanging conduit[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What are some approved ways to hang 2" pvc conduit beneath a floor, from I-beams?

I saw those hammer-on clips - they slip onto the horizontal edge of the I-beam. What is the best way to go, down off of the clip?
I understand we are not to use metal around the pvc pipe.
I see they have plastic plumber's hanger tape but how does that attach to the clip?

In addition to the 2" grey conduit I have a 4" pvc sewer line to hang.

I saw those hammer-on clips - they slip onto the horizontal edge of the I-beam. What is the best way to go, down off of the clip?
I understand we are not to use metal around the pvc pipe.
I see they have plastic plumber's hanger tape but how does that attach to the clip?

In addition to the 2" grey conduit I have a 4" pvc sewer line to hang.

A standard clevis hanger (similar to that recommended for the conduit) can be used to hang the sewer pipe as well. I don't know why you wouldn't use a regular galvanized or SST hanger with PVC.

I might want to use something a little more substantial than the flange clips, like a flange clamp.

https://www.grainger.com/product/4H...3997!&ef_id=VGy4fgAABdBqjuBH:20170509142013:s

That one is probably a bit overkill but something like that will work. You attach the clevis with a threaded rod section.

We used galvanized straps, the I-Beam clamps (like Sac Arrow provided the link to) and all thread to hang stuff like this when I did electrical work. Which was many years ago, pre smurf tube. I've no idea if the code now requires plastic hangers for plastic pipe or not. And it could be local as well. But we never had any problems with metal straps for plastic pipe.

Can I simply wrap the hangar around the I-beam and skip the clamps?

I suppose you could, but all-thread or threaded rod isn't exactly flexible. You would have to fab up some sort of J hook. It would be a real pain. You wouldn't be ahead cost or aggravation wise. You could always revert to duct tape and coat hangers.

I'd want it kept in place better than that if I were doing it. It'll also be easier to hang the pipe if you put the clamps, all thread and such to gather in in place then put the pipe into them. Otherwise you're holding pipe and fiddling with straps that move around etc. 20' of 4" PVC is pretty heavy to hold in one hand while you fiddle with straps...

The NEC won't allow that. Use a beam clamp as I said above. The flange clips are prolly too light for 2" if you are pulling something like four 2/0 wires.

Use clevis hangers for the 4". Heck, use them for both.

Last edited:
Unistrut.

If unistrut is used, the conduit must be strapped to the strut with an NEC approved device.

I know this is probably work in a west Texas barn or similar but I'm just posting what the code requires.

Beam clamp, all thread and clevis hangers. That's your best bet.

We usually use unistrut for small pipes and conduit, and angle brackets and U clamps for large exposed pipe if it's going against a wall, and fabbed brackets if it is not.

Back