[NA]HA"Rules"[NA]

Funny, neither can most of my neighbors. One of the biggest jerks on the board of directors of the Falmouth Airpark HOA, just lost his house to the bank.
I went to the registry of deeds to research my other neighbors mortgages (something I would never do to a REAL neighbor).....and surprise!...most of them are in over their heads.
I used to love flying and assumed that everyone was like me, and just loved it.
What I have found is that a great many pilots just like to look down on other people.
And overall.....at least in my experience......suck as neighbors.

Want to have fun? Try http://www.blockshopper.com/

It takes a lot of conniptions and an animal sacrifice but you'll eventually get to the page showing your neighborhood and the real estate records with names and prices paid. One neighbor who had the place for sale ~2008 has lost about 40% from what they paid in 2004.

We also spotted that the foreclosure on the block that was being hinted at Zillow - and where you can't get the details even they are public record - was my neighbor who I had asked about it. It showed up in the local paper. Since he just did work in his kitchen last week and isn't making any arrangements to move, I figure he's doing a strategic default.

Maybe the HOAs just need to elect a friendly HOA president:
This past election, to make the meeting move faster, only the names and qualifications of the candidates were announced. Running for president, Ms. Beatha Lee was described as a relatively new resident, interested in neighborhood activities and the outdoors, and who had experience in Maine overseeing an estate of 26 acres.

Though unfamiliar with Lee's name, the crowd of about 50 raised their hands, assuming that the candidate was a civic-minded newcomer. These days, it's hard to get anyone to volunteer to devote the time needed to serve as an officer. The slate that Lee headed was unanimously elected. Everyone ate ice cream, watched a karate demonstration and went home.

Only weeks later did many discover that their new president was, in fact, a dog.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/18/AR2011021803522.html?hpid=topnews

That's pretty funny!

From the article:

Crawford had served three consecutive terms as president and, according to association bylaws, could not run for the office again. For weeks leading up to the election, he begged, pleaded and cajoled neighbors to run for the often-thankless volunteer post. No one bit.

If it had been me, I would have just announced at the meeting that no one had agreed to run for the office and then let nature take its course.

From the stories I've read, it sounds like some HOAs would be better off without a president!

I have no problems with the neighborhood kids playing around my house. What irks me, is that they play in the driveways & the parking lots of the complex and assume all the cars will stay out of their way. They have no concept that the cars are bigger and can not always see them. For example, if I'm backing out of my garage, there's no way I can see one of the kids come barreling around the corner on a bike or scooter.

If it weren't for the fact that I'd need the car detailed....

If it weren't for the fact that I'd need the car detailed....

Aww c'mon. Ankle biter juice comes off just fine with a little isopropyl alcohol, and those scratches in the bumper will buff right out!

I think you all missed a very important part of the report. It said children cannot play outside UNSUPERVISED. That takes it from a bogus thing to something that should at least be considered. I do wish the paper had included ages as well because that could change it even more.

My neighbor's 5 kids (way too many) will play in their front yard and in the street and cul-de-sac where I live. While I have no love for my neighbors (and take the opportunity to say "Get off my lawn you kids!" when appropriate), it's good that the kids can do that. Unfortunately another neighbor (who I also have no love for) I suspect will inadvertently run over the kids one day, as he goes out of his driveway way, way too quickly.

I think you all missed a very important part of the report. It said children cannot play outside UNSUPERVISED. That takes it from a bogus thing to something that should at least be considered. I do wish the paper had included ages as well because that could change it even more.

What's the definition of "supervised"?

Is it any different than would be applied to similar housing not covered by any HA rules?

What's the definition of "supervised"?

Is it any different than would be applied to similar housing not covered by any HA rules?

Pick your definition. I'm going to guess that some sort of definition would be included in the rules as it's too vague otherwise.

When I was young we were able to play outside on the driveway, or in our yard, on the sidewalks or in a neigbors yard (with their kids). The street was never open to playing until I was a teen and not only tall enough to be seen but wise enough to get out of the way. I was like 8 or so till I was allowed (clearly directed to look both ways for cars first) to cross the street to get a ball without going inside to get one of my parents first, before that being caught in the street was a spanking offense. (And Rightly so in my oppinion, if you do something that could get you hurt and you get lucky, a spanking is an acceptable tool to associate Stupid move with pain)

I think part of the problem has to be with the parents not setting approprate boundries for their kids or teaching them respect for others. If they know they can not go tearing around neigbors yards without permission then they would be less of a nusance to the neigbors and not need "direct parent supervision"

The neighbor kids around be are pretty well behaved and I'd very much like to see them playing outside so that they don't become obese and cost me money later.

I don't mind if they go into my yard to get a ball or something. Really I don't mind if they're in my yard at all provided they're not vandalizing something which I've never seen.

Truth be told, I don't mind the neighbor kids. I mind the neighbor parents.

The neighbor kids around be are pretty well behaved and I'd very much like to see them playing outside so that they don't become obese and cost me money later.

I don't mind if they go into my yard to get a ball or something. Really I don't mind if they're in my yard at all provided they're not vandalizing something which I've never seen.

I've found that making friends with the neighborhood kids goes a long way to ensuring things won't get vandalized. Neighborhood kids always ended up hanging out at our house through all 3 of my kids' school years.

Why do you care if something you've never seen in your yard gets vandalized?

Why do you care if something you've never seen in your yard gets vandalized?
Hmm...I'll never get to see it the way it originally was, since they vandalized it.

IMO, Most of the time you run into this kind of churlishness due to one, two, or at the most, three people with more time on their hands, than brains in their heads. It is nearly impossible for me to respect those folks and as for someone that would trespass to take a photo of your garbage can, a large, man eating dog , or a criminal complain to the local sheriff, for criminal trespass, often stops that from happening again.

IMO, Most of the time you run into this kind of churlishness due to one, two, or at the most, three people with more time on their hands, than brains in their heads. It is nearly impossible for me to respect those folks and as for someone that would trespass to take a photo of your garbage can, a large, man eating dog , or a criminal complain to the local sheriff, for criminal trespass, often stops that from happening again.

I've caught my neighbors tresspassing on more than one occasion. Why they'll even walk through the snow, leaving evidence of their trail, is beyond me. One of them has video cameras that monitor most of the street, although not my property (I'm a few houses down).

I just don't get it. Even if I cared about what any of them do (I don't), I've never, ever walked on their property unless it was with permission. And I'm way too busy to pay attention to what any of them do.

I've caught my neighbors tresspassing on more than one occasion. Why they'll even walk through the snow, leaving evidence of their trail, is beyond me. One of them has video cameras that monitor most of the street, although not my property (I'm a few houses down).

I just don't get it. Even if I cared about what any of them do (I don't), I've never, ever walked on their property unless it was with permission. And I'm way too busy to pay attention to what any of them do.

Being that we're dealing with the plan to add 125-150 people .... the neighbor on the side in front of the section 8 apartments had to 1) build fences around everything on his property to keep out the walkers and snowmobiles taking shortcuts, then 2) PADLOCK the gates on his property, because you know, otherwise they can be opened, which didn't stop the guy from jumping the fence and carry his dog over to enjoy it. Then 3) there was the day where he found that they had nailed birdhouses to his fence.

So the new project is 4 stories with 70 apartments but ess not to worry, the village says they can't have balconies so they'll all be out front and in the parking lot having tailgate parties, not to mention with the same principle all of the private lake access isn't so they'll have great fishin' holes.

I discovered a long time ago that I don't like neighbors. Putting yourself in a situation where you don't have them is the best option.

I wonder when the definition of suitable meant whatever the little man trying to justify his miserable little job, decided it meant, on any given day?

Folks, the federal, state and local gov'ts have over spent, and instead of thinking how they might reduce spending, the country is deteriorating before our eyes, as gov't employees, desperate to keep their jobs, invent ways to take money from people, at any cost.

Just cut spending and see how fast other problems clear up, guys.

Folks, the federal, state and local gov'ts have over spent, and instead of thinking how they might reduce spending, the country is deteriorating before our eyes, as gov't employees, desperate to keep their jobs, invent ways to take money from people, at any cost.

Just cut spending and see how fast other problems clear up, guys.

How does that work when you already are borrowing money to make your interest payment?

How does that work when you already are borrowing money to make your interest payment?
Last picture I saw showed the "non discretionary" spending items of social security and medicare costing a LOT more than the interest on the debt.

Or are you suggesting that the tax revenue isn't enough to pay our debt payments and still cover some other government spending (to be determined)?

Put another way, if we arbitrarily cut social security and medicare payments in half, and didn't take on any other debt, and tax revenue and other government spending stayed the same... would be still be in the red every year, or would we have a surplus that we could use to pay down debt faster (or spend elsewhere)?

Put another way, if we arbitrarily cut social security and medicare payments in half, and didn't take on any other debt, and tax revenue and other government spending stayed the same... would be still be in the red every year, or would we have a surplus that we could use to pay down debt faster (or spend elsewhere)?

If you cut Social Security payments in half, then you should cut Social Security payroll deductions roughly in half too, because the system is roughly self-sustaining. Using Social Security deductions to subsidize non SS spending would not be acceptable to the voters, IMO, because if you treat it as just another tax, then it's a regressive one, due to the cap on the annual amount.

I understand that Medicare is nowhere near self-sustaining, so that would be a different matter, although making it a sudden change would probably be catastrophically disruptive.

Back