[NA]Grass irrigation controller

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
You have a bulletproof one that didn't cost hundreds, works with at least 5 stations with options for when the cycle starts, how long each station runs, what days, plus a manual mode.
You love it and want to tell everyone about it.
Go.

I have an Abacus controller, made in New England somewhere, I don't think they are being made anymore, so I won't bore you with the details, but it works great, has been for 20 years.

An aside story, I do my own maintenance on the system except the blow out in the fall. Well this year I go to start up and half the sprinklers don't work. Yellow light on the controller for half the stations. So I go and start trouble shooting, find the neutral wire pulled out of the wire nut and bent back in one of the boxes. Hooked it back up and ready for any 20 years of trouble free operation (I hope). Makes me wonder about the sprinkler company that does the fall blow out.

Mine is working flawlessly. Runs up to 16 stations, has an input for a rain sensor, adjusts the watering time based on temp/humidity (if you so choose). I bought an OpenSprinkler clone (here), but if I were buying another one I might go with a "real" OpenSprinkler. I have mine set up so that I can monitor and control from my phone or tablet, anywhere in the world.

The OpenSprinkler 3.0 is more expensive and has a tiny, tiny screen. Probably not a big deal, you really only use that to set up the networking stuff. And it does have wifi, and its own enclosure. The clone (mine) works perfectly, but I had to make my own enclosure to mount it on the wall - I used a transparent plastic box bought for $4-5 at the store. No wifi, so I ran an Ethernet cable to mine. I don't think it will run the latest OS firmware, but there's really nothing else I need it to do. Installation was dead simple... move the wires from the old controller to the new one. It uses the same power supply and everything.

Back