<na> golden years plan

A friend just moved into one of those places that start you in a house or apartment, then provide increasing care up to full nursing home for a large buy in, and a fixed monthly fee.

How's the saying go? "I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like the other 3 people in the car."

Assisted living isn't that expensive. Both of my inlaws lived in one for a few years, and my mother lived in one for a few months. Skilled nursing care is quite expensive, but assisted living is not that much more expensive than living in your own house.

No, that's a miserable way to die. What you want is an exit bag.
Everyone's got their own definition of expensive, I suppose.
For my grandparents, assisted living wasn't an option on their own dime unless they roomed at a dump off the side of the expressway and ate cat food. They weren't looking for luxury digs but it was a minimum of 8k a month as they both needed it roughly the same time. Given that they had a fully paid off (though very modest) home, it ended up being more manageable to rotate their kids in/out for months at a time to help out. That care lasted 9 years. If they had paid for assisted living it would have cost: 8k * 12 * 9 = $864k. By my standards that's quite a bit of money.

EDIT: this was to move into an assisted community facility, not to have a nurse come to their house.

Enjoy my wife, my kids, doggies, and the rest of our families as much as possible. Hopefully fly a bit. Maybe travel to a few new places. Just spend time with the love of my life. Everything else is really just noise.

A friend just moved into one of those places that start you in a house or apartment, then provide increasing care up to full nursing home for a large buy in, and a fixed monthly fee.
Mom did that. Read the agreements very, very carefully. When it came time for her to move from assisted living into the skilled nursing wing, the wait list was two years long and she ended up having to move to a different place… and of course got financially screwed in the process.

Mom did that. Read the agreements very, very carefully. When it came time for her to move from assisted living into the skilled nursing wing, the wait list was two years long and she ended up having to move to a different place… and of course got financially screwed in the process.
I will mention that to my friend.

Her parents did the same thing at a place in FL. It worked out as advertised. I think they started with a house, then an apartment, then with part time care, then full time care, into nursing home.

I have long term care insurance to pay for my nursing home when I get old. I'm not saddling my son with the responsibility of taking care of me.

Or I'm going to blow all my money on cruises and die on one, which is surprisingly not that uncommon for elderly. We had an older man die on a cruise we took in December about 10 doors down from us. The family stated that he was planning this trip as a final farewell party for his family and went out happily.

Last edited:
...We had an older man die on a cruise we took in December about 10 doors down from us....
Was your cruise out of Fort Lauderdale per chance? I was on a cruse at the same time and when we pulled into port it sure looked like they carried a body off the ship next to us.

Was your cruise out of Fort Lauderdale per chance? I was on a cruse at the same time and when we pulled into port it sure looked like they carried a body off the ship next to us.
Port Canaveral. One cruise secret that is not really a secret is that almost all cruise ships have a small morgue to hold a few bodies and people die on cruise ships from natural causes every day.

...people die on cruise ships from natural causes every day...
Not terribly surprising given the number of people on these ships and the average health/age of the cruisers. I've heard the average age on the transatlantic routes is pretty up there. Given that, and the duration, I don't want to think about it.

And most older people dont have close family or friends, so they take the cruise so someone will eventually find them.

A. Move now to an area that has excellent social services for seniors.
B. Develop younger friends and do favors for them so you have some favors to collect when you are older.
C. Have a solid financial plan to allow for in home services when you need them.
D. Locate to a condo or patio home with exterior landscaping and building maintenance.
E. As you age finding girl friends is easy.

Not terribly surprising given the number of people on these ships and the average health/age of the cruisers. I've heard the average age on the transatlantic routes is pretty up there. Given that, and the duration, I don't want to think about it.

US death rate is 1043 per 100,000 people. So a the newer big ships are 6000 passengers. So figure in a given year a ship will have about 6 deaths (6000 people and the ship cruises every day).

Given the average age, that number would likely be higher.

Back