[NA] Getting car running after sitting for years

Q: Know what you get when you add 1/2 tank of fresh fuel to a 1/2 tank of bad fuel?

A: 1 tank full of bad fuel

That’s assuming the fuel in the tank is bad. With newer fuel, I’d bet it isn’t great but not bad either.

That’s assuming the fuel in the tank is bad. With newer fuel, I’d bet it isn’t great but not bad either.
I dunno. 5 years is a long time for petrol. Not saying it won't fire off, just that it won't like it and probably have misfires galore. Lawnmower? Sure, go for it. Modern auto? I'd probably just pump it out.

I dunno. 5 years is a long time for petrol. Not saying it won't fire off, just that it won't like it and probably have misfires galore. Lawnmower? Sure, go for it. Modern auto? I'd probably just pump it out.
Like I said in my first post, I did the same within the last few months. I’ve done it a lot of times previously too. Will it be wonderful? No, but you honesty couldn’t even really tell much difference. This was in a tuned turbo car too.

Odd enough but perhaps related. Been working on my dad's '06 Z06 today. Last time he went to run it it was missing terribly. Changed a coil. After looking at all the stupid sensor stuff. Currently hoping for varnish in an injector after it's sat for the last year and a half after the great toilet flood. But based on smell I don't think it's a fuel issue...but the plug doesn't seem wet... Possibly intake manifold leak..

Compression check is next to rule out a valve spring..which apparently isn't uncommon with this 427 engine.

This thing has an old school ignition key rather than a start button?
Nah it's got a button. I only depressed the button for a couple seconds. I guess if it hasn't started and you let go it stops trying.

The new biodiesel sucks just as hard as the alcohol gas
In terms of shelf life? Good to know.

I can't pin point where I'd learned it, but I thought someone had told me that diesel was stable for years with even basic additives to preserve it. I have absolutely zero knowledge on the matter....

I had a hangar car sitting for 3 years. Main problem was that the tires remained bumpy even after driving it for a while. Eventually I replaced those. I didn't have to drain the fuel. Modern gas tanks with the evap control system are pretty much sealed, so the alcohol doesn't have a chance to take up water. When I had the mechanic do the brakes (bc they were worn), I had him flush the brake fluid. It was dark and had a high water content, but it probably had 7-8 years on it.

5 year old Camry is gonna need very little work.

Back