[NA]GE stock[NA]

The more important question is why you are buying individual stocks and why you have an investment advisor?

What’s the problem with that?

There is an overwhelming abundance of evidence that individuals do not beat the market over the long term so you are much better off investing in low cost index funds that cover broad spectrums of the market than you are picking individual stocks.

There is an equal and overwhelming abundance of evidence that few if any professional advisors beat the marked by more than their fees. So once again you are better off investing in low cost index funds. There are robo advisors now at almost every discount brokerage that can set you up with an appropriate portfolio. Anyone paying more than 20 basis points (0.2%) for all expenses is leaving money on the table. And lot's of it. A 1% change in your return will mean 50% more money over the long term.

Go ahead and invest in a few individual stocks if you want but it's gambling and keep it below 5% of your portfolio. Picking stocks is fun. Investing well is really really boring.

I know GE got out of making the lightbulbs we use for our runway edge lights. It has created a short term shortage in the market while the other manufacturers catch up.

There is an overwhelming abundance of evidence that individuals do not beat the market over the long term so you are much better off investing in low cost index funds that cover broad spectrums of the market than you are picking individual stocks.

There is an equal and overwhelming abundance of evidence that few if any professional advisors beat the marked by more than their fees. So once again you are better off investing in low cost index funds. There are robo advisors now at almost every discount brokerage that can set you up with an appropriate portfolio. Anyone paying more than 20 basis points (0.2%) for all expenses is leaving money on the table. And lot's of it. A 1% change in your return will mean 50% more money over the long term.

Go ahead and invest in a few individual stocks if you want but it's gambling and keep it below 5% of your portfolio. Picking stocks is fun. Investing well is really really boring.

I would agree with that, but since my dad got me into investing when I was 16 I have done ok.. I always set aside some money to play with futures and options. It’s nice to hit a home run every now and again

I would agree with that, but since my dad got me into investing when I was 16 I have done ok.. I always set aside some money to play with futures and options. It’s nice to hit a home run every now and again

How do you know you've done OK? You would have to compare it against a comparable benchmark, each and every trade. :)

Low cost (because some companies made some high cost ones) Index Funds are very difficult to beat over the long term, and it isn't possible to see in the future and know which of the 3-5% will beat them. Investing should be remarkably boring.

Back